Options

Segregated Home Network Design

AltxanderHamiltonAltxanderHamilton Registered User new member
After some internet of things security weirdness, I've decided it's a good time to get to designing a new home network. I'm not even sure if what I'm talking about is feasible, so I wanted to see if there were any networking gurus around here to point me in the right direction.

Essentially what I'm looking for is to have 3 separate networks, completely isolated from one another.

Wireless Network #1, "I don't trust you"
  • Internet of Things devices
  • Gaming consoles/devices
  • Friends laptops that may or may not have malware and God knows what else

Wired + Wireless Network #2, "I trust you, stay here"
  1. Remote work connection, connected via wireless
  2. Any work-related client devices connected via Cat6

Wired + Wireless Network #3, "I trust you too, but stay over here"
  1. My PCs, connected from a switch with Cat6
  2. NAS, connected on the same switch with Cat6
  3. Family tablets
  4. Family laptops, connected via wireless

And nary the 3 shall mix, but all 3 would somehow work with my cable modem and single IP.

As best as I can map out with my limited networking knowledge, I could either have
Option 1: A super-powered router that could handle all 3 wireless networks and also handle separate VLANs to tie specific LAN ports to the other wireless networks.
or
Option 2: I could get multiple routers and set up some kind of weird daisy chain?

Now I've barely touched VLANs and I'm not afraid of getting into the tech of it all, but for some reason I find network stuff...stressful/confusing. It never seems to work the way I expect it to, and dealing with devices that may or may not have specific features is a pain.

Anyone have any suggestions or resources to figure this out?

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    After some internet of things security weirdness, I've decided it's a good time to get to designing a new home network. I'm not even sure if what I'm talking about is feasible, so I wanted to see if there were any networking gurus around here to point me in the right direction.

Essentially what I'm looking for is to have 3 separate networks, completely isolated from one another.

Wireless Network #1, "I don't trust you"
    • Internet of Things devices
    • Gaming consoles/devices
    • Friends laptops that may or may not have malware and God knows what else

Wired + Wireless Network #2, "I trust you, stay here"
    1. Remote work connection, connected via wireless
    2. Any work-related client devices connected via Cat6

Wired + Wireless Network #3, "I trust you too, but stay over here"
    1. My PCs, connected from a switch with Cat6
    2. NAS, connected on the same switch with Cat6
    3. Family tablets
    4. Family laptops, connected via wireless

And nary the 3 shall mix, but all 3 would somehow work with my cable modem and single IP.

As best as I can map out with my limited networking knowledge, I could either have
    Option 1: A super-powered router that could handle all 3 wireless networks and also handle separate VLANs to tie specific LAN ports to the other wireless networks.
    or
    Option 2: I could get multiple routers and set up some kind of weird daisy chain?

Now I've barely touched VLANs and I'm not afraid of getting into the tech of it all, but for some reason I find network stuff...stressful/confusing. It never seems to work the way I expect it to, and dealing with devices that may or may not have specific features is a pain.

Anyone have any suggestions or resources to figure this out?

Thanks in advance.
    I might consider using a NAT device acting as a gateway.

And segregate the various networks there.

• Options
    AltxanderHamiltonAltxanderHamilton Registered User new member
    Interesting. So a wireless-less / wired router like a TP-Link SafeStream TL-R600VPN, or a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X would be something I would connect directly to the cable modem, then have 3 wireless routers plugged into to it, then configure the NAT to have VLANs for each eth port?

I should also clarify, this is kind of a hobby project too, so I'm fine spending some cash to set this up correctly.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    The easiest/most cost effective way to do this is with a pfsense box, unifi access points, and any managed switch.

pfsense can do all your segeration, NAT, routing, and VLANs
    Unifi will let you VLAN per SSID for your wireless networks
    the switch just needs to be smart enough to allow VLAN tagging

this is assuming the simple wired setup of you pre-determining which ports go to which VLAN. if you want to do really fancy where the device authenticates and the switch allows it on to the correct VLAN you'll want a server and a switch smart enough to that

pfsense can run on pretty much anything, and they have guides on picking hardware based on network size/performance, depending on the switch you find all of this can be done with GUI tools which makes it easier.

one caveat, a lot IoT devices are not designed to be on a network like this, you may lose some functionality

zkHcp.jpg