As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android S7 Black Screen - tried few options already

MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
Hey foklks, so my S7 was left uncharged overnight and this morning I woke up to find it with the blue LED on but the screen wouldn't come on.

I've tried various combinations of power + vol down + home, power + vol down, power + vol up, etc., and though it seems to reboot the phone every now and then, the screen stays black. I can't seem to get to the recovery screen.

I'm running out of options and am traveling so going to a Verizon store isn't in the cards atm.

Is there a Windows recovery app that has proven to work for anyone?
Prefer freeware but if I must pay that's fine as long as someone can vouch for it.

Let me know, thanks!

l4lGvOw.png
Witty signature comment goes here...

wra

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The tough thing is that without the screen working, it's hard to pull anything off it/do a factory reset which is probably what I would do to fix that. Do you have Google backups or another backup set up for the phone?

• Options
    No other backups. I'm not 100% worried about a factory reset, either. I don't have that many files on the phone as I dumped all my pictures a few months ago.

This same thing happened about 8 months ago and I was able to get to the Android recovery screen by some combination of buttons but so far nothing's worked. I can tell the phone is on as the tactile feedback is on and I was able to call myself and answer, etc..

Oi vey, maybe this time the screen is truly dead.
    Not being able to remove the battery easily truly confuses me...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Silly question, but are you on travel out of the country? You should still be able to go into any Verizon branch store and get help.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Have you looked at it from an angle under a bright light?

I had an HTC that I thought had died but I could still view it enough under the above conditions to reset it.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Silly question, but are you on travel out of the country? You should still be able to go into any Verizon branch store and get help.

I finally went to a Verizon store and they basically said they didn't have much tech support training.

So, finally, we just went with the insurance replacement. Supposedly I won't have to pay a cent for a like replacement and my plan won't change, since this phone isn't technically damaged.

Funny enough, I got it to boot up OK this morning and everything was fine (it had already been factory reset apparently), but as soon as the phone went to sleep, the screen is staying back.

Anyway, new phone arrives tomorrow. I guess that's that.
    Thanks for the tips!

l4lGvOw.png

wra