As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Card and PSU Question

ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm considering getting a 7800GS, which requires an amperage of 20A or more at +12V.

My current PSU says 17A on the side panel.

Is this a big deal? What sorts of potential problems would I run into if I decided to go with it?

I read some reviews on newegg, and ran into this:
The literature says you need a 400W MINIMUM power supply with 20A on the 12V rail. Well, not exactly. I am running just fine with a Sparkle 350W advertising 18A on the 12v rail. Replaced the Antec SmartPower 350 that came with the case to take advantage of the larger 120mm single fan vs two smaller units on the Antec. The Smart-Power said it has 21A on the 12V rail but the Sparkle held the voltage higher after extended gaming. Awesome card. Great price. Life is GOOD!!

Suggestions?

ege02 on

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you plug it in and there's not enough power, the worst that will happen (probably) is that your computer won't boot until you put back in the old video card. If that happens, then just get a more powerful PSU.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The worst that could happen is the power supply implodes taking out everything with it. It isn't likely, and most likely what will happen is you will have stability or performance problems when running graphically intensive 3d games.

stigweard on