As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Simple wireless control of push pull solenoid

madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
So I want to rig up a wireless doorbell for someone with a Tibetan meditation bowl she wants to use as a chime. The solution is pretty simple, set up a push pull solenoid next to the bowl so that the striker hits it when activated, then set it up so that it activates when a wireless button is pressed.
Damned if I can google a project that will accomplish this, though. After a couple hours of searching all I can come up with is overcomplicated stuff involving Arduinos/Raspberrys and bluetooth/wifi that shouldn't be necessary and adds complexity that could make it fail, which is a non-starter: she is a full-on luddite and if this thing ever goes wrong or needs coaxing to work she will toss it right out.
All I need is:

1. a single push pull solenoid, can run off wall power
2. controlled by RC remote, doesn't need to be bluetooth or anything like that
3. from a single battery powered pushbutton that can live outdoors

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i swear that is a thing in the little bits kit

they sell wireless door bells that a lot of teachers use you can then do something like this

https://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-a-Wireless-Doorbell-Into-Remote-Switch/

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Heh, thanks but I don't think this one will work:
    Caution required when device is used in densely populated areas. Depending on the model of the wireless bell, it has a working frequency of 315 MHz or 433 MHz, it is certainly possible that other device that operates on the same frequency could trigger the device

I can imagine the doorbell going off in the middle of the night due to some spurious transmission

better I don't imagine it

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Not for nothing, but singing bowls aren't designed to be struck. It probably wouldn't survive for very long. The idea is to use a circular motion around the edge with the accompanying "mallet" to create a hum. Just thumping one wont really do the thing. She may as well just find a doorbell with a tone she likes, or get a doorbell that lets you use your own sound.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    more so the possibilty then the actual product

camo_sig.png