As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teach me how to become the calmest person in the world

PeasPeas Registered User regular
Please bestow the knowledge and techniques of being the ultimate chill guy on me o wise ones

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Chill people are boring.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Meditation can go a long way. I use an app called Relax Melodies and there are plenty of other options available.

If you're experiencing severe anxiety or anger might be worthwhile to see a medical professional for help too.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Deep breaths

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    In what circumstances are you looking for additional chill?
    Like, is this a work thing? Are you constantly mumbling obscenities under your breath at the sheer idiocy of the world you deal with?
    Is this anxiety in your free time? Like you've got too much to do, and not enough time to do it so you don't know how to start?

Or is this more a recreational kind of looking to chill? Looking to be more easy going in new environments or groups?

We're all here to help, but we need to know what help you're looking for.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I guess I want to not lose my shit and maintain my self control to be able to think in a stressful situation
    I have the tendency to go from 0 to 1000 panic under duress

General chill is good too

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I can probably teach you how to have a personality of a rock.
    With the drawback of having a personality like a rock.

I'm not sure such overwhelming passivity and patience is what you're after though.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I guess I want to not lose my shit and maintain my self control to be able to think in a stressful situation
    I have the tendency to go from 0 to 1000 panic under duress

General chill is good too

Some combination of:
    • Training - Put yourself regularly through simulated stressful situations and drill what you would do over and over again until it becomes rote and you don't have to think about it.
    • Exposure - Like above, but survive through enough stressful situations and you eventually don't find them as bad. Just like how driving a car for the first time is terrifying and driving a car 20 years later is just a thing you do without thinking about it.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The chillest persons I know tend to study Dao philosophy.

Overall studying it, with it's focus on that sometimes the best action is non-action, means it has a pretty chill approach to life without resorting to nihilistic cynicism.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I start from the question of "can I do something about this situation?"

If no, then I shouldn't worry. What will happen will happen and it's out of my control.

If yes, then I shouldn't worry. I have the power to change this situation so I should do so.

It doesn't make the stress or panic disappear instantly, but it helps me work to discard frivolous worries and focus on what's important.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm not an expert on anxiety, and if you have general anxiety issues I would talk to a doctor. I've gotten told that I'm "super chill" fairly often though, so if it helps, here's how I keep a cool head under pressure. Or at least, how I project the appearance of being calm, which is arguably just as useful.

1) When stressing over decisions due to risks, I run a quick "What's the worst that could realistically happen?" scenario. Say, for example, when I tried to run ethernet lines upstairs through my house. I put it off for the longest time because I was worried about what might go wrong, until I thought it over and realized the literal worst thing that could happen is that I would need to replace some drywall and repaint if I fucked up. And I did indeed fuck up, and punched through the drywall over the living room by accident. Oh well.

2) It's okay to fuck up. Repeat it to yourself: It's okay to fuck up. Nobody is good at things the first time. Or the second time. Or often the tenth time. You can and will fuck up, many many times. It's how you learn. This sounds like common sense, but I know many people who won't try things because they don't want to fail. Fail often. Once you get accustomed to failure, once failure is less scary, you'll feel a lot more free to experiment and try new things.

3) Change the things you can, ignore the ones you can't. It's an old line but it's true. Focus on the choices that are in your control and you can do something about. Feeling in control of something helps me feel calmer. The economy might be crashing as we speak, but I can't do anything about that, so there's no point looking at my savings and tracking how much money I lost today. Instead, I can focus on selling some stuff in the garage I've been procrastinating on and putting that money in savings instead. Try not to stress about whether the actions you can take are enough to prevent some unforeseen disaster (my garage craigslisting isn't going to save me if I lose my job) - the idea is to give yourself a feeling of control over a situation.

4) Even if you're not calm, try to act calm. Slow down, deep breaths, keep your voice level. Panic induces panic, and keeping a veneer of calm, however thin, calms the people around you. That's not to say that you should hide your emotions from the people around you; I was open with my wife about being upset when I lost my job. But you can be upset and stressed and still be calm. "It's okay, I have a plan, I have these people to talk to today and I've applied to X jobs this week," helps keep other people calm, and saying it out loud to others also helps me remind myself that it's not the end of the world.

5) Sing 'Hakuna Matata" :cool:

EDIT:

6) Actually, one other thing. Try to laugh. Honestly, it sounds stupid, but try to find something funny in your predicament, no matter how stupid or sardonic. There's always something comical if you look hard enough. I can't tell you how often I've used the dumbest fucking jokes to break tension in a situation. Make people laugh. If you can't do that, make yourself laugh. The day I got laid off, I came home and exclaimed "good news! I have the rest of the day off!" It was dumb, I felt like shit, but it made me laugh, for a moment. I don't actually think "calm" is the opposite of stress. I think laughter is.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

If no, then I shouldn't worry. What will happen will happen and it's out of my control.

If yes, then I shouldn't worry. I have the power to change this situation so I should do so.

It doesn't make the stress or panic disappear instantly, but it helps me work to discard frivolous worries and focus on what's important.

Mine's always "Is anything on fire, are mortars landing around me, is anyone throwing juice boxes of poop at me? No? Then it's not that big of a deal."

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Another way to frame this is that you’re engaging a different part of your brain, which helps calms down the part of your brain that’s freaking out. Getting in the habit or applying a tiny bit of reason to the situation will force that to happen, which helps calm the fight or flight response.

This is an absurdly simple version of what’s going on, but it’s certainly helped me as well. Even just counting backwards from 10 or doing simple math like powers of 2 can have a huge impact. When you sense yourself freaking out, getting angry, panicking—any kind of strong emotional response—try and force your brain to do something analytical. Going through a checklist, doing math, whatever—it will force your brain to adjust a bit and it’s easier to deal with the emotion.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Breaking things down into easily manageable chunks helps assuage immediate 0-100 panic and stress. If you can control something, then take how you'd solve it and break it down into steps and go through them one at a time.

This is a technique you use pretty heavily in IT and programmer and I've found it has bled into my personal life in how I deal with stress. It's not perfect but it'll help a lot.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    All the advice above is pretty dang sound, but it's hard to put it in practise in the moment. One thing that kinda works for me is to think about how this awesome friend I looked up to would handle it. She was an internet pal who was a few years older than me, and I was absolutely nothing like her, but we still chatted a lot and I could always turn to her for advice. I started to approach problems with the question "How would she handle this?" or "What would she say?"

It helps to detach myself from the issue and to get in the mindset of someone who could totally kick ass at whatever is happening.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    A lot of what people are describing here seem cognitive-behavioral therapy adjacent. It might be useful to look into. If you are in a financial situation where therapy is not possible there is a lot of literature on CBT out there

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KryptykSolKryptykSol Registered User regular
    I've found that I get angry at stuff without even really registering that I'm angry. One thing that has worked for me is practising analyzing what I'm feeling, just any time, even when I'm not angry or anything. This tends to help me be primed to think about what I'm feeling when I do get angry.

Also, when you do catch yourself in that angry state, practice thinking about it as if you are talking to another person who is angry, and try to be compassionate towards yourself. A lot of my anger is self hatred for things that I feel I have failed at, so this helps me a lot.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Have a Plan B, and know you'll probably need a Plan C - which is cobbled together out of Plans A & B and some new bits.

So you knew what you thought would happen, and you know what sort of thing would derail that - so stop, assess what has failed and fall back to Plan B.
    You know Plan B has gaps, and was a stop gap thing until you knew what you were dealing with - so if that fails, there's some inkling of stuff that might work in Plan A and B, and you've seen what's going on and so better understand the problem.

If you think visually, imagine pull back the focus from the chaos around you where things aren't working to a distance away, where you can assess what is coming and what you had planned to do in this circumstance. Then if that doesn't work, pull back from that place and look at the problem from above. You can see the bits of A that worked, and the bits of B that worked, and the bits that failed in both, with those bits revealing the weakness in the system.

You don't have to be ready to deal with any issue that comes at you, that's a recipe for stress becomes no plan is perfect. But having a plan for how you will work out how to deal with any issue that comes at you is more easily applied, more universal and takes less thought. It's easier to remember a single process than a multitude of 'what ifs!'.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Have you read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck? I haven't. I burned my anxieties out the hard way.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Not a doctor, but this might be worth a listen. McElroys talk about depression and anxiety, particularly about how it make you feel so angry about everything:

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/sawbones/sawbones-our-mental-health-stories/

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Mine's always "Is anything on fire, are mortars landing around me, is anyone throwing juice boxes of poop at me? No? Then it's not that big of a deal."

problem with this approach, you're screwed when someone starts firing their flaming poop-box mortar in your general direction

broken image link