As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 RROD failures finally explained

Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
This was a short article linked off fark which finally explains the problems CAUSING the red ring of death...

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/129866.asp

FTA

"The main design flaw was the excessive heat on the GPU warping the mother board around it. This would stress the solder joints on the GPU and any bad joints would then fail in early life.

There are also other significantly high failure rates in other areas, like the DVD."

WOW

THat is the FIRST TIME ive heard a definitive answer like that from a microsoft design engineer

Gnomeland Security on

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    While this is probably the first time anyone at Microsoft has explained the problem in any detail, we already knew this like 6 months ago

Azio on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I have a reliable source that says 75% of that article is BS

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    _______moe wrote: »
    I have a reliable source that says 75% of that article is BS
    I believe this.

The interviewee in that article seems to have quite the ego and they seem to have some sort of a grudge almost. The whole "the Wii was my idea and no one would listen" thing, and the wording in "Xbox's mission statement is to preserve the Windows monopoly" just seems very unpolished and juvenile for someone that would be doing an interview of this variety.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i read it as a disgruntled intern who didnt get hired or was let go because he cries about the understaffing part, but other than that, the individual seems to have a lot of technical knowledge

beyond that, i just was shocked about the warping problem, id honestly never read that before

Gnomeland Security on