As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WD40 on a mouse

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Now, before you accuse me of animal cruelty, I'm talking about a COMPUTER mouse. Not a real mouse. Besides, rodents are slippery enough without additives.

I recently dumped an entire cup of coffee on my mouse (the computer mouse) about 2-3 days ago. Like an entire cup. About 10 oz of twice-sugared coffee.

This morning, it started clicking and sticking and the middle mouse button hasn't worked since the incident.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do without opening it, since that is quite the feat according to what I've read. I have a Logitech G502 Wireless LIGHTSPEED. I should mention that it retails for $150 so...yeah.

I was thinking about spraying inside the various crevices and abyssal voids within and without the surface of the mouse. Will this work? Is it dangerous (to the mouse)?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    You'd probably be better off getting your hands on some electrical contact cleaner. Even with that though, I don't think you will have much luck. I think that mouse is toast.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well, just to be clear it MOSTLY works - the only thing that doesn't work is the middle mouse button. The wheel and all the other buttons work. The left and right buttons are just a bit sticky.

Even if I get a new mouse, I'm not going to toss this one unless I somehow make it worse which is partly why I'm asking. I could always use it as a slightly-less-function travel mouse or something.

Drez on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I think something that evaporates without a residue would be a better bet? Maybe like isopropyl alcohol or something similar.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    Seconding IPA solution.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    On second thought, contact cleaner may not be safe for some plastics.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    I think something that evaporates without a residue would be a better bet? Maybe like isopropyl alcohol or something similar.

Thanks, will try that.

Advent wrote: »
    Seconding IPA solution.

I prefer lagers but I’ll try the Isopropyl Alcohol fir-

Ohh! Ohh...

BlazeFire wrote: »
    On second thought, contact cleaner may not be safe for some plastics.

Ok thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If it were me I'd take it apart to clean it. I've taken apart my optical mouse because it stopped working and I couldn't find the same one with the shell color I liked. I bought one, popped the cover off the old one, and stripped the new one down till I could get get the old cover on it because I am stubborn. This is a $40 mouse though.

However, if you're otherwise going to have to buy a new one and have the confidence, you may as well see if you can gently remove bits till you can get to the problem to clean it, as long as you can remember how to put them back. I tend to do that if I know I'm going to replace it anyway.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    Now, before you accuse me of animal cruelty, I'm talking about a COMPUTER mouse. Not a real mouse. Besides, rodents are slippery enough without additives.

I recently dumped an entire cup of coffee on my mouse (the computer mouse) about 2-3 days ago. Like an entire cup. About 10 oz of twice-sugared coffee.

This morning, it started clicking and sticking and the middle mouse button hasn't worked since the incident.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do without opening it, since that is quite the feat according to what I've read. I have a Logitech G502 Wireless LIGHTSPEED. I should mention that it retails for $150 so...yeah.

I was thinking about spraying inside the various crevices and abyssal voids within and without the surface of the mouse. Will this work? Is it dangerous (to the mouse)?
    So check it. Logitech has amazing support. They replaced a keyboard of mine I fucked up. Spilled on it and when I was cleaning the spill lost a key down a vent hole. Rolled a Critical failure. It was 20 bucks for them to replace it. And it was a fancy ass keyboard, maybe give them a call.

zepherin on
  • Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    If the electronics still function, then the liquid probably didn’t fry anything too difficult to replace. Stickiness is very likely something you can clean with some IPA, but you need to be able to get it in the right spot. Rinsing it with IPA probably won’t do it either, you want to gently scrub it with a Qtip or a soft toothbrush.

I’d recommend opening it up and cleaning everything as best you can. It’s not very difficult and there are some great tear down videos online, so it is pretty cookbook.

I did something similar with my G903 a couple years ago. The exact layout will of course be different, but it ought to give you an idea of what to expect.

Windburn on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Soak the non-electrical parts (springs/wheels/etc) in warm soapy water for a bit, then clean the rest with alcohol like radiation recommended.

It probably won't ever be perfect again without wear and tear getting rid of the gunk buildup.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    I had this exact situation happen to me. Except my coffee had four sugars in it. My mouse mouse was the normal version of the Logitech G502.

I disassembled it as much as I could following an internet teardown guide (there are screws underneath the pads on the bottom). Then I carefully wiped away as much the gunk as I could and then started gently wiping everything with kimwipes soaked in IPA.

I thought about just squirting it with IPA but decided that the risk that it attacks some plastic somewhere too great and thought I'd put it back together and try it first and if that fails I can be more liberal with the IPA. I put it back together and the mouse works near perfectly all of the clicks feel normal except for the top left (+dpi) button, which resists pressing for a little more than before but I almost never use that button so this extra depress force doesn't bother me.

YMMV but I would strongly suggest you try taking it apart and gently wiping everything you can see with IPA.

• Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    Also, for electronics work, you should use >90% IPA.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    No guarantees, but here is what has worked for me more than once over the years.

If you are really desperate here you can try warm running water, not boiling water just hand warm though.
    On more than one occasion friends and I have rescued keyboards and even a computer that had been hit by spillage of some liquid, simply by disconnecting, removing batteries and hen giving it a good hose down. The thought being that say a keyboard that has been milk poured on it will get pretty nasty if nothing is done, so when the choice is discard or try something desperate then why not go with the later.
    In no way is it an ideal solution, but if you let it dry out for a few days afterwards it could work well and better than using all sorts of chemicals.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I once spilled cola on a laptop keyboard, and that was fine too until it dried.

I'm fairly sure the problem was sugar crystals forming.

Unfortunately that isn't easily reversible. Maybe you can find a video online how to replace the moving parts, take those apart and clean them. Those moving parts sound like your problem.

If it is sugar, that doesn't solute well in very nonpolar liquid. I'm pretty sure not even ethylalcohol.

Which makes it hard to clean fully.

Any parts that are purely mechanical, maybe you can separate and put into water, and then dry. I did that with my laptop keys.

Electronic parts, maybe dry swab them?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses! A lot to chew on. Not literally.

• Options
    I never got back to you guys, sorry.

I ended up buying a new G502 wireless. I really like the mouse and it's fully functional except for the middle mouse button so I figure I'm going to use it for my work laptop instead and ditch the garbo one they provided.

If I get bored some day, I may disassemble the mouse and try to fix it. Maybe I'll also (or first, rather) reach out to Logitech to see if they can replace it cheaply.

Thanks for all the advice.