As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Low framerate, but low GPU and CPU utilization

KleinKlein Registered User regular
I've noticed that sometimes when I am playing a game, my framerate will have sustained drops while my CPU and GPU utilization is low. Even older games, like Starcraft II, have this issue, though it is a pretty CPU heavy game. Are there any reasons why my framerate is low but my computer is not utilizing all the hardware, and is there something I should look at to fix this issue?

My computer specs:

CPU: i5 6300 HQ, 4 core, 4 threads, 2.3 GHz idle, 3.2 GHz boost
GPU: GTX 1060
16 gb of ram
No idea what my ram speed is, but it's DDR3
7200 rpm HDD

I'm not playing super demanding games that use up a lot of ram, at most my utilization is about ~8-10 gb. My temperatures are also fine, at the highest I hit 75 C for my CPU, so I know I don't have thermal throttling or a ram bottleneck. I could move some games to a SSD, but I do not have enough space for all of them. I am not sure if it is a hard drive issue either as these are sustained drops in areas of games where everything is loaded. I am typically not running any background programs besides Discord and the game launcher. I have not tried to reinstall Windows, it's been about three years since I had this computer so maybe that is something I could try.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    It is hard to be certain, but one a sick HDD could lead to such issues. Even though not running anything in the back ground there is always gonna be lots running you just don't see, maybe there is something causing hdd activity which for some reason is not going well, this could make you system wait for something to complete while not looking busy.

Try running CrystalDiskInfo* and see if it gives the health of your hdd a green light.

Also it could just be some background thing messing things up, try looking in your task manager and check what is running - at the very least I bet you can spot some processes that do not need to run constantly. If so look at Services and disable those you don't need.

*It is a free handy tool to retrieve the SMART info from your drives fx. in this old computer of mine the oldest SSD is close to have been running for 62,000 hours(it used to sit in a 24/7 server).

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    It is hard to be certain, but one a sick HDD could lead to such issues. Even though not running anything in the back ground there is always gonna be lots running you just don't see, maybe there is something causing hdd activity which for some reason is not going well, this could make you system wait for something to complete while not looking busy.

Try running CrystalDiskInfo* and see if it gives the health of your hdd a green light.

Also it could just be some background thing messing things up, try looking in your task manager and check what is running - at the very least I bet you can spot some processes that do not need to run constantly. If so look at Services and disable those you don't need.

*It is a free handy tool to retrieve the SMART info from your drives fx. in this old computer of mine the oldest SSD is close to have been running for 62,000 hours(it used to sit in a 24/7 server).

Thanks for the advice, I think I may have found the cause of my issue. It turns out, I had vertical sync on, so the game would sit at 60 fps, bu then sometimes drop to 20-40 fps. With vertical sync off, I'm now averaging 70-90 fps for Starcraft II. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't try this first rather than live with these framerate issues for so long.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Klein wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, I think I may have found the cause of my issue. It turns out, I had vertical sync on, so the game would sit at 60 fps, bu then sometimes drop to 20-40 fps. With vertical sync off, I'm now averaging 70-90 fps for Starcraft II. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't try this first rather than live with these framerate issues for so long.

You are welcome. Sounds odd that disabling v-sync made such a change, but main thing it has fixed it. You might try and enable vsync again, just to check that is what made the difference and not just that you changing settings triggered the fix in itself.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Take a look at your power profile, it could be limiting the CPU, GPU, or HDD.