As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

please help identifying arcade game

saint_facadesaint_facade Registered User new member
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Hey all. Was hoping I could rely on the collective gaming memory here at PA.

I am trying to find out the name of an arcade game I played years ago. It's a side scrolling, fantasy hack n slash. My memory is rusty on it, but I'll relate what I can recall.

The standout feature was the magical ability to change your character's form at the press of a button, so long as you had enough energy. One form was a tiny little guy riding a giant's back. Second form was a tiny little guy riding a tiger (maybe it was a tiger?) and you could attack with a sort of chain whip/flail. I think on both of these forms, your mount could be killed, but your useless little dwarf guy could survive. Seems like there was another standard form; maybe a basic fantasy warrior. And then, rarely, you could grab an item that would temporarily turn you into a flying dragon with a devastating breath weapon.

And yes. I know that this sounds like Golden Axe, especially the "dwarf riding a giant" part. And it very well could be in the Golden Axe family of games. But I've looked at screen shots of Golden Axe and some of its sequels, and the scale of the characters is too large. I mean, the graphical style of the game was like Golden Axe, but with the "camera" pulled further back.

Anyone have a clue?

saint_facade on

• Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I too wish to identify an arcade game from the past. Mind if I piggyback for the sake of forum tidiness?

Okay, so I only saw this twice and it was awesomesauce. The game had a stick, and three buttons. You controlled a warrior with sword and shield. He always faced to the right, with the stick moving him backwards and forwards. He held a shield that could occupy a high, middle or low position to block attacks, controlled by pushing up or down on the stick. The three buttons stabbed a sword forwards to either a high, middle or low area. The game had first a side-scrolling part, where bricks and things flew at the warrior, but the meat and potatoes was a one-on-one combat with another warrior. You had to use the shield (or stab) to block incoming sword blows, and try and get your attacks past their weapons. What made it great, was that the armour was removed if you managed to stab it, leaving exposed flesh which could then be injured.

I played this in the arcades circa 1990, and I think the splash screen said something like "Great Gurianos", but I've had no luck on Google, most likely due to the spelling. Anyone know of the game?

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I too wish to identify an arcade game from the past. Mind if I piggyback for the sake of forum tidiness?

Okay, so I only saw this twice and it was awesomesauce. The game had a stick, and three buttons. You controlled a warrior with sword and shield. He always faced to the right, with the stick moving him backwards and forwards. He held a shield that could occupy a high, middle or low position to block attacks, controlled by pushing up or down on the stick. The three buttons stabbed a sword forwards to either a high, middle or low area. The game had first a side-scrolling part, where bricks and things flew at the warrior, but the meat and potatoes was a one-on-one combat with another warrior. You had to use the shield (or stab) to block incoming sword blows, and try and get your attacks past their weapons. What made it great, was that the armour was removed if you managed to stab it, leaving exposed flesh which could then be injured.

I played this in the arcades circa 1990, and I think the splash screen said something like "Great Gurianos", but I've had no luck on Google, most likely due to the spelling. Anyone know of the game?

I was just thinking about this game the other day. I remember as a kid trying to get the female gladiators armor off of her without killing her. rawr rawr.

Oh, here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(arcade_game)

Even better...

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7950

Esh on
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey all. Was hoping I could rely on the collective gaming memory here at PA.

I am trying to find out the name of an arcade game I played years ago. It's a side scrolling, fantasy hack n slash. My memory is rusty on it, but I'll relate what I can recall.

The standout feature was the magical ability to change your character's form at the press of a button, so long as you had enough energy. One form was a tiny little guy riding a giant's back. Second form was a tiny little guy riding a tiger (maybe it was a tiger?) and you could attack with a sort of chain whip/flail. I think on both of these forms, your mount could be killed, but your useless little dwarf guy could survive. Seems like there was another standard form; maybe a basic fantasy warrior. And then, rarely, you could grab an item that would temporarily turn you into a flying dragon with a devastating breath weapon.

And yes. I know that this sounds like Golden Axe, especially the "dwarf riding a giant" part. And it very well could be in the Golden Axe family of games. But I've looked at screen shots of Golden Axe and some of its sequels, and the scale of the characters is too large. I mean, the graphical style of the game was like Golden Axe, but with the "camera" pulled further back.

Anyone have a clue?

What a coincidence, I just read about this in a Kotaku video game advertisement entry.

The game is Tecmo Knight

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Esh wrote: »

I was just thinking about this game the other day. I remember as a kid trying to get the female gladiators armor off of her without killing her. rawr rawr.

Oh, here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(arcade_game)

Even better...

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7950

Sir, you officially rock. Thanks so much.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since the original game has been answered, I would like to piggyback here. I'm trying to remember a racing game. I believe it was Sega, but may be wrong. The monitor was mounted facing straight up (like an old tabletop game), so that you looked down on it. The viewpoint was straight overhead. It had four player, and each player was on a different side of the monitor, with their own accelerator and steering wheel. It was a rally-style game, with little animated people and cows.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chenjesu wrote: »
    Since the original game has been answered, I would like to piggyback here. I'm trying to remember a racing game. I believe it was Sega, but may be wrong. The monitor was mounted facing straight up (like an old tabletop game), so that you looked down on it. The viewpoint was straight overhead. It had four player, and each player was on a different side of the monitor, with their own accelerator and steering wheel. It was a rally-style game, with little animated people and cows.

The only games I can think of would be Super Sprint or Ivan Stewart's Offroad, but I think those were only 3 players.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chenjesu wrote: »

Was it this?

1064954629.jpg

http://klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=8148

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    citizen059 wrote: »

That is indeed it. God, I can still hear the in-between stage music in my head. Thanks!

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    umarkambohumarkamboh Registered User new member
    arcade game like japnese samurai .. Character has sword and and chain. with the help of chain he can climb tree and like tall tree wood. game has 5 stages. I Forgot name of this game .. please help to find name of that game. thanks

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    My first thought was Legend of Kage, and that's where my searches kept taking me, but I know that's not it. Black Tiger/Dragon doesn't have a samurai. Didn't much much luck otherwise, sorry.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Jschrad1305Jschrad1305 Registered User new member
    If I can continue the thread on identifying arcade games, and asking for the community's collective memory, I remember playing one in the mid to late 80s.
    The game has a beginning movie very similar to China Gate, where you see 3-4 characters approaching a gate, then the gate opens, and 1 character walks through the gate.

You also get to choose which level you start on. Each level option I think was shaped like an unrolled scroll with large asian letters.

Gameplay is a side-scrolling adventure, usually going back and forth, jumping and dropping through holes as you are navigating a maze.

The hero you play looks like a bald man, possibly shaolin. You utilize a variety of pole-style weapons such as spears, 2-handed morning stars, and other similar weapons. I remember always hating the spear because you never threw it, you just stabbed with it, and it involved getting close to enemies.

Enemies I remember were large men who always came after you with their hands and arms over their head. They grabbed you, held you over their heads, and threw you aside.

And one boss I remember, was a beast man, who could roll around the room, not just back and forth, but up and down the walls and across the ceiling too.

Does anyone remember this game?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Gotta be Tiger Road.

Oh, and you posted it while I was searching, haha.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Ok here's one that's been driving me nuts for years...

Arcade Flight Game. It had two 'cockpits' side by side with two screens. You could choose from various planes/helicopters, but it was basically an on rails head to head competitive shooter. The game would put one player in the lead while the other chased and attempted to shoot them down. After a short period of time the game would force a switch and the lead plane would now trail and become the attacker. It was on rails so you couldn't pull real reversal maneuvers, instead just bouncing around the screen until it was your turn to shoot.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    There was a computer game I played in elementary school - likely a Commodore 64 - an adventure game where the player enters a haunted mansion to find a titular ghost. Each room had a ghost with a puzzle to solve but you were looking for one in particular. The graphics looked more primitive than, say, Maniac Mansion. Commands were input through a text parser.

It's not on this list
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graphic_adventure_games

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CErLc8F_A

Not this easy I'm guessing...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

YES! Thank you. It's been driving me insane for so long

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Nope. The name of the ghost you're trying to find to win the game is in the title of the game. And this ghost was hidden inside a room that could be opened by inserting a key into a wind-up clown doll. The class was so proud when we solved this adventure game together after ... months of trying.

• Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Nope. The name of the ghost you're trying to find to win the game is in the title of the game. And this ghost was hidden inside a room that could be opened by inserting a key into a wind-up clown doll. The class was so proud when we solved this adventure game together after ... months of trying.

Crickety Manor?

screen2-11.jpg

Can play in browser here