As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brown recluse OR Huntsman Spider

sexileomamasexileomama Registered User new member
Okay, so I have arachnophobia, seriously. I saw a huge brown spider about 2 inches off the ground on a wall in my bathroom last night. I usually have someone else kill them for me, but, I just can't to this one. Very weird. He/She pretends to be dead, then springs up and runs ( very fast I must say)- or it did until I put a large Smuckers jar on top of it. Then cardboard undermeath it. I need to flip it right side up. I just want to know will it leave us alone if I let it go or will it have me on it's sh*t list of #1 targets to bite? A couple days ago I was outside painting and I saw this spider, who knows if it's the exact same one, running back and forth outside and I thought it was kind of cute( in a gross. Scare you ) kind of way. It was working so hard to bring food home, I assumed. This is all craziness! I hate spiders! I don't know what my mental breakdown is all about regarding this particular fella but it is what it is. Anyways please be kind, I turn 41 in a couple days and that's enough to bring my spirits down. Thank you for your time. Sorry this is long. I do want to let it go, but NOT if it's gonna come after me or anybody in my home. No young kids but i have a lot of health issues and a suppressed immune system. And my great big 127 pound Bulldog,whom lays near where I found this spider. It seems very scared of me and totally fakes being dead. Silly Spidey really. Okay thank you ; ) i do have a pic!! Unsure if a Huntsman or Brown Recluse or?? I recently have gotten a couple terrible spider bites, that have since healed, but took about a month to heal. So im so on the fence about what to do. I appreciate any not mean suggestions. Thank you, this is my first time.posting here

• Options
    mhlketr94jvb.jpg
    Here is a pic of my Spidey, what is it please??? Thank You so Much!! ; )

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It does superficially resemble a brown recluse, but it's tough to make out detail from the photo, so it's not possible to know for certain. It could very well just be a grass spider, which are also pretty large, and fast, and come in a range of similar drab browns.

Brown recluses are skittish and have been known to play dead. It's important to note that , despite the brown recluse's reputation, serious reactions to their bites are actually rare, and very serious reactions are very rare. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, of course! They're not aggressive spiders, though, and would much rather avoid a fight than risk their lives in one. If the bites that you got were spider bites, the fact that they were bad and took a long time to heal may point to them being recluse bites, but again it's really hard to tell.

If you're somewhere in the southern half of the US, you're almost certainly within the normal geographic range of the brown recluse, and since it seems you've already captured the little guy, it should be fine to find a place outside to let it free. If you're worried, you could find some nearby woods to let it go instead of your front yard, thus guaranteeing that it wouldn't find its way back.

It's always lovely to see someone work past a fear of spiders, so I'd like to say thanks on behalf of the little one for not killing it outright! They're pretty scary things, but do a lot of work to make our lives nice and pest-free.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Aww, thank you very much! Yes, I do feel like I'm in almost shock over this whole ordeal. Usually I scream and almost cry when I see a spider. I had no idea spiders played dead. Thank you for the great idea!! Im in Eastern WA State. Contrary to what some may believe, no we dont have snow right now,lol, been 90 to 100° lately. So we do have a hot climate currently. Last night it did get pretty cold, so I can imagine some of his buddies maybe trying to join him in my warm home at night. I appreciate your reply very much!! I'm sure this Spidey is relieved too. Take care 😁

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    if it has a violin on its back its a recluse

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Crush it and buy a pet tarantula!