As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amazon Echo Calendar Frustration

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
The backstory; years ago, a friend and I shared a Prime account for a few months before they decided to fully get one of their own. While on this trial run, they bought an Amazon Echo, which Amazon ever so helpfully automatically links to the account that bought it.

Eventually she got her own Prime, and later I picked up an Echo of my own, which caused some confusion initially, but eventually everything was set upon their account, I've got mine, all appears to be well.

Except my girlfriend recently bought an Echo Show for my place, and when we were looking at the calendar, I was surprised to see my friend's old calendar linked to it, having done nothing to set it up as such. I just paired it with the app, and yet suddenly I was scrolling past some fairly personal entries in the list, and seem to have her husbands account showing up as well.

So, I went to Google! We never set up a Household, far as I know, surely there must be a way for me to obliterate their data/connections/calendars from my account!

No such luck. All the guides I see are a year or two old and suggest going to the alexa app, settings, calendars, click on the one in question and remove it, but clicking on it does nothing. I suspect that maybe she needs to go to her Gmail account and do something, but further searches to that end do nothing either.

It's unintentionally invasive, and this has now been bugging me for a few hours. A next step may be to deregister/factory reset everything, but I'm concerned that there's some bullshit background link that will just cause this to show up again once I connect them to my account again.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been through settings pages aplenty on my desktop, the phone app, and the echo show itself. I just want to remove these stupid calendars.

It explicitly says "Shared Calendars: Other linked calendars in your household. Settings for this account can only be adjusted by the owner", which certainly makes me think that she needs to change something on her end (possibly in Google, possibly in Amazon, possibly in Households, which again, I don't think anyone ever set up), but I wanted to see if anyone could walk me through this before I try talking her through what I'm sure will be an exciting long distance tech support experience.

Help me, H&A, you're my only hope!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This can be closed.

Turns out the option is not very hidden in the echo show itself.

What’s Fucking infuriating is that this isn’t easily found data, which said friend made a conspiracy theory out of, saying that google results were sabotaged because amazon won’t sell their competing product, but whatever, the issue is fixed, and both google and amazon get some side eye from me for this even being a snag.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.