As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Secret Base], SB Nation just letting Jon Bois and Company go crazy!

AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened OptimistThe Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
edited October 2020 in Social Entropy++
So there's this guy, Jon Bois.

18.png

He works for a company called SB Nation, which is part of Vox Media. I know nothing about either of those companies besides they are.. things.

Jon, however?

Jon is insane. And a Genius. An insane genius. He has developed a reputation of using graphs, charts, and tools like the YouTube music library and Google Earth to make some pretty insane stories.

He is a very popular in the YouTube thread. Pretty much anything he makes gets posted there.

Over the last decade, he's told a lot of stories, both about sports and the general world. They are Pretty Good.

His bosses at SB Nation have allowed him to collaborate with others, and to build up his team. So now it isn't just him making videos for the site. And because of that, there's a wide variety of weird takes on the subject. Dorktown, Weird Rules, Beef History, Fumble Dimension... You name it, they have probably tried to make a show work around it.

This has culminated in a couple big projects. One of the largest this year was a Dorktown mini-series chronicling the history of the Seattle Mariners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIgK56cAjfY

It's a bit of a watch, but I swear I cried at points.

But despite the invention of Scoragami, or the chronicling of the white supremacist marathon in St. Louis, or the insane nationalism of 24... Jon created his masterpiece.

17776 is a story about football. But more than that, it's a story about human nature. And what human nature would be like if we could live forever but couldn't leave the Earth. It placed 11th in the Hugo awards for best Novella and Best Graphic Novel of 2018.

Last Month, SB Nation rebranded their youtube channel as Secret Base. It's now delightfully 2000s era. As I'm sure Jon wants it.

And this month?

This month...

17776 is getting a sequel. 20020: The Future of College Football.

As of this OP, we are through 1 week. 3 chapters. And IT IS WILD.

So I figured, given that this series is going to continue for the next month, we should have a place to talk about it. And about Secret Base in general. Because while Jon's stuff is obviously the biggest draw, it isn't the only thing on the channel! I tend to enjoy falling asleep to his stories, because they are quite soothing and exciting. Except for when bad stuff is happening, like Heisman being a vengeful God to his opponent.

I don't want to just link the entire back catalog here. But hey.. if others do that, I won't complain. For now, though, here's the important channels:

Secret Base itself: https://www.youtube.com/c/SecretBaseSBN/videos
Jon Bois' personal site (for his older work, like BEEFTANK): https://www.youtube.com/user/jonbois/videos

Also... Given how online Jon Bois is, I wouldn't be surprised if he knows of this forum or sees this forum someday. So if you are out there, Jon: Thank you. Thank you for being you.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
Athenor on

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The title Lionel Hutz'd me at first and I thought he had been fired.

Very relieved

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jon's good people

7su44hd1zvu2.png

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Very relieved

ACK! That was not my intention, any suggestions for something more clever to fix that?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    maybe something like "Remembering and appreciating the works of Jon Bois"

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Athenor wrote: »

Very relieved

ACK! That was not my intention, any suggestions for something more clever to fix that?

Leave it, it's fitting.

And my brain inserted a comma was the problem heh

I read it as "letting them go, crazy!"

Like full hutz'd myself

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I'm really excited to see how the game turns out. No one's gonna get every football, obviously. But this is a really interesting study of how college football stadiums are laid out. It never ceases to amaze me how some areas can build... what was that, 4 stadiums in the span of 30 years?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm not on Twitter, but any time I come across a tweet from Jon Bois it's a good one.

He's good at the tweets

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I was going to post one or several of his "Welcome to college football Saturday" tweets but

I think I should watch the Bob Emergency again.