As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game footage - best way to capture and to edit?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
Last year I started recording the small Arma 3 coop sessions I've been running and editing them in Vegas Movie Studio. However, at some point I started realising that the footage I was recording with Nvidia ShadowPlay was no longer synchronised properly when imported into Movie Studio, which was something of a bummer. (Apparently the reason is that ShadowPlay records in Variable Frame Rate, which Movie Studio has some problems with.) So I tried capturing footage via OBS Studio, which gave me beautifully crisp 3440x1440 footage - but when I tried to edit this in Movie Studio, the video preview was so laggy that I simply couldn't edit, as I couldn't get the footage to play smoothly in the editing software.

Which leads me to my question: is there a way I can record footage (ideally at 3440x1440) that looks good, is smooth and works well with Vegas Movie Studio? Or, alternatively, is Movie Studio the problem and I should edit my footage using another program? For the record, the captured gameplay footage I've got is recorded at a bitrate of 50'000 Kbps, the format is mp4 and the encoder is Nvidia NVENC H.264, recommendations I got from YouTube.

P.S.: I did download DaVinci Resolve 16 and briefly tried that one. It plays the video footage well enough, but it also seems highly prone to crashing.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I solved a similar problem with losing audio sync due to Shadowplay frame rates by using Handbrake ( https://handbrake.fr/ ) to convert the recordings to a fixed framerate before importing them to my editor.

I don't know about handling footage that mega high def, I expect that takes a lot of oomph. But fwiw Hitfilm Express is a nice editor that has worked really well for me, and it is free.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Was the problem with the OBS solution that it too high resolution or frame rate? OBS seems to be the go-to these days.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Okay, the problem resolved itself in the dumbest way possible: the problem with the OBS footage was that the video project was set to a different format, which meant that for the preview Movie Studio had to re-encode the video on the fly.

Now, I knew that this could be a problem and I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions given that should have changed the project to a matching format... but somehow it didn't take. In the end, what I did was to start a new project and add the video footage, which set the project to the right format. Like this, the preview was smooth and I was able to edit without any problems. I could then just copy the intro bits from the original project into the new one.

@Red Raevyn: Since the problem was the project format not matching the footage, I imagine that using Handbrake to convert Shadowplay videos to Constant Frame Rate would also work. I'll probably see if OBS works fine going forward and if there's a noticeable hit to my frame rate; if so, I might just go back to using Shadowplay, though I like having more control over the resulting captures and their quality, which OBS offers.

Oh, and for completeness' sake, here's the video I did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyinw_TAz30

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods