As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Miller Time

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Miller Time!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Miller Time

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Hollywood gon Hollywood. The only thing special about the Ezra situation is his fuckups are blatant enough to catch the attention of the public eye and the media is willing to report on them.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    i love how everyone is still remembering to be thoughtful about Miller's pronouns despite how awful and terrible of a person they've been.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    i love how everyone is still remembering to be thoughtful about Miller's pronouns despite how awful and terrible of a person they've been.

You don't do it for them, you do it for others who share those pronouns.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »

You don't do it for them, you do it for others who share those pronouns.
    preaching to the choir

it's a new paradigm, not universally instilled, people who don't get it but want to be respectful often remember to use it for people they like but may lapse for someone they don't.

• Options
    LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    Is the difference here that Miller seems to be genuinely ill rather than actively malicious?

Powers &8^]

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    LtPowers wrote: »
    Is the difference here that Miller seems to be genuinely ill rather than actively malicious?

Powers &8^]

Partially. The things they've done are not really forgivable since it's progressed past just property damage or verbal assault.

And if goes to wealth and privilege - anyone else works be arrested and hopefully get mental help. Miller sould have 100s of people telling them to get help, but either they've managing to ignore it or no one is. Possibly because WB calls up and says not to, in case it interferes with the press junket.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    See also: Kanye West, who was very clearly going through some kind of breakdown last year but instead of help, he was infested with ultra-right grifters who encouraged him to detonate his reputation.

V1m on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    LtPowers wrote: »

Powers &8^]

a thing i've leaned the hard way dealing with my narcissistic sister: being ill does not excuse anyone from being an asshole. Lots of people struggle with mental illness are and don't behave this way.

Matrias on
  • Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    I have not, at all, in any ways shape or form, followed the news about all that.
    But is there any confirmation or even implications that WB plans to continue working with Miller in the future?
    If not releasing that one movie specifically wouldn't necessarily mean they unable they're behavior. It could be, like implied in the rant, because there are other people's interest at stakes, and a crapton of contracts validated before they realized how messed up Miller was, that they have to honor. And I'm not just talking about Stereotypical money grubbing corporates types ( though they're probably also there).
    Miller wasn't the sole person working on this project after all.
    again that's just a uninformed question.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I think for many people, the excuse rings hollow that it was too late in production and there's too many other people invested to change or cancel the movie on account of Miller. Because we've seen movie studios in general and DC specifically, pivot and recast and reshoot and cancel movies s lot later in the game and over a lot less.

Besides all this, The Flash is the easiest possible character in the world to recast.

(1) he's always doing multiverse shenanigans
    (2) for many my age, our favorite version of the characters is the JLU, and thus our favorite Flash is Wally West anyway and we'd have no problem seeing him replace Barry in the movies.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I think for many people, the excuse rings hollow that it was too late in production and there's too many other people invested to change or cancel the movie on account of Miller. Because we've seen movie studios in general and DC specifically, pivot and recast and reshoot and cancel movies s lot later in the game and over a lot less.

Next you'll be saying they could take an entire finished movie - one in which there weren't even any people (that we know of) that did something horrible - and just decide to throw it in the fire and never let anyone watch it. Utter poppycock!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Next you'll be saying they could take an entire finished movie - one in which there weren't even any people (that we know of) that did something horrible - and just decide to throw it in the fire and never let anyone watch it. Utter poppycock!

Well there was that one Key Grip who totally took more than one mint from the dish.

• Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular

Besides all this, The Flash is the easiest possible character in the world to recast.

(2) for many my age, our favorite version of the characters is the JLU, and thus our favorite Flash is Wally West anyway and we'd have no problem seeing him replace Barry in the movies.

Again not having followed the behind the scenes (and not even being up to date on their latest releases), I didn't know how far in the project they were, how feasible it would have been to just reshoot everything or outright cancel the movie, or how often they've done it in the past. and don't care enough to check so I'll take your words for it.

Though I do want to know what weird ass incident @Dennis is alluding to.

Definitely think they will either cast someone else as Barry, or even replace him with an other Flash in any potential future movie (if future movie there is).

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Again not having followed the behind the scenes (and not even being up to date on their latest releases), I didn't know how far in the project they were, how feasible it would have been to just reshoot everything or outright cancel the movie, or how often they've done it in the past. and don't care enough to check so I'll take your words for it.

Though I do want to know what weird ass incident @Dennis is alluding to.

Definitely think they will either cast someone else as Barry, or even replace him with an other Flash in any potential future movie (if future movie there is).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/batgirl-hbo-max-movie-dc-canceled-1235191932/
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a40794876/batgirl-hbo-movie-cancelled/

They took a fully completed movie and shoved it in the garbage, for accounting purposes (and "corporate strategy"). No one, anywhere, can ever be allowed to see the film so they don't lose the tax write-off they got.

This was just last summer. Michael Keaton Batman was in this one, too. Brendan Fraser was the villain.

dennis on