As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC To Chromebook Connectivity?

So, I just got a Chromebook as it looks like my Samsung Tablet crapped out, and the Chromebook was like half the price.

However, I can't seem to figure out a simple version of transferring large files (and folders) from the PC to the Chromebook.

I used WiFi Explorer Pro for my tablet via WiFi, which allowed relatively quick transfers. But even though the app runs on the Chromebook, I can't connect through.

When I had issues in the past (either the Wifi was down, or I needed faster transfer speeds, I was able to connect my tablet straight to the PC, and it acted as a HDD. But that doesn't work for the Chromebook.

Anyone know of a fast way to transfer files between? I still use Windows 7 (I haven't seen a need to upgrade), so a lot of the suggestions a google search offers are useless to me. Because using "Google Drive" or to and from a USB just seem clunky as fuck, for what should be a relatively simple process.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    https://chromeunboxed.com/chromebook-nfs-network-file-share-how-to

There are steps for how to share a folder on your PC with the chromebook in here, for both windows and mac.

And the windows instructions do not rely on a modern version of windows, though in truth you really, really should update that OS; major security vulnerabilities on there that will never be patched as of 2020; the internet is very very unsafe for that machine.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, "I haven't seen a need to upgrade" isn't really a good excuse to be on a version of windows that hasn't had a security patch in almost 3.5 years. It was time to get off of Windows 7 in 2020. It is now 2023.

But to get to your actual question, the link posted above should work for Windows 7, the UI is the same, and should all work. Personally, I do just use google drive and/or Onedrive for this kind of file sync now anyway, since you know an extra layer/copy in the cloud is a good idea anyway for everything but things like large video files. However, if you want to do it over a local network that link will work.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar