As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microphone doesn't work

NorayNoray Registered User regular
OK, so a while ago a got a soundcard, a Soundblaster Audigy, nothing too fancy, but better than my onboard, and it works great, except for this one problem: I can't get the microphone to work. Plugged it in the pink mic input in the soundcard, and I go to test it in Control Panel, and when it prompts me to say some stuff, it doesn't register. Yet it says everything works fine. Also, I did make sure that the device for recording and playing back stuff is indeed the soundcard, so that isn't the problem either.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Noray on

• Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Probably a dumb question, but did you remember to un-mute the microphone in your volume settings? The setting works a little different in Vista because they changed the .exe for control settings, but the idea is the same.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah it's unmuted :) I'm using Windows XP btw, so no Vista shenanigans for me.

Noray on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Go to your control panel, and then "sound and audio devices" then the voice tab, and make sure that your Sound Blaster card is selected as the default device.

If so, click on volume and adjust it to your liking, and try sound recorder on your computer to test it.

e: How sure are you that this mic actually works? :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That comment inspired me to test if the mic actually works, and I guess it doesn't xD I tried the mic of a USB headset I had lying around, of which the earphones are broken, but the mic apparently still works, and it worked with that, so my other headset's mic is just borked I guess. Guess I'll have to buy a third headset, or use the one with the working mic and have speech coming out of my speakers (not desirable)

Noray on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bah, that sucks you're on your third. Do you have a cat? My cat (back in the day) loved to chew on the wires of my headphones. No other cables, but my headphones.

Maybe I shouldn't have laced it with cat-nip.

urahonky on