As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Death's [Embracer Group] - First Volition, next maybe Gearbox?

AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened OptimistThe Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
edited September 2023 in Games and Technology
Update 3: I'm changing the title on this to be more representative of where things are going. Much like the Vulture Capital thread I started in D&D, all this falls under the specter of the Embracer Group.. So I might as well lump them together.

https://www.engadget.com/embracer-may-sell-borderlands-creator-gearbox-amid-financial-woes-161505145.html

I assume this is more fallout from the Saudi deal falling through. Gearbox is one of the larger, more recognizable parts of the Embracer group - but it is also one of the newest, being acquired in 2021. Since then, Gearbox has released 2 games it developed (Tiny Tina's Wonderlands and More Tales from the Borderlands), and it has published an additional 8. My beloved Homeworld 3 is still on track, but.. I've had the side eye about Gearbox involving that for a while.

The article implies that other publishers have been approaching Embracer about the sale, as opposed to Embracer shopping them around. Still, it sounds like they are amicable to cutting their ties with the studio. I am curious how the IP will go, considering that's likely the most valuable part of Gearbox.

Update 2: Via WotanAnubis, Volition has posted a letter to their community:

b42HluO.jpg
Thirty years of making games. There are only a handful of studios in the industry that have been around for 30 years, and we took a lot of pride over Volition being one of them. Volition has been around long enough that some folks forget what we made, but they certainly know our games. Refrains such as, "Volition made Descent?!", or "Volition made FreeSpace?!", or "Volition made that Summoner RPG with that hilarious video?!" are not uncommon. Sometimes it's easier to remember the games more than the studio that built them, especially for those that have been around as long as we have. But all good things come to an end, and so it is with Volition. After 30 years Volition has closed, and we wanted to say a few final words.

To start, we know there wouldn't be a studio without the people in it. While it may sound cliched, as those who have worked at Volition can attest, it truly is a huge family. Volition started with a team that had a vision for how to make the kinds of games others couldn't and infused that confidence throughout the entire company. We assembled an incredibly talented group of artists, storytellers, and creators who together built a culture that attracted top quality people who truly cared for each other. Time progressed, people naturally came and went (and very often reunited again!), but the people were always what made Volition truly special. Do all developers feel the same? We know they do, but in this case there truly was a unique culture of people that cared about each other like family, combined with the will to create some of the most unique games ever created. Thank you so much to every Volitionite who has ever worked here. You are all what made this the magical place it was to work at, and we can never say enough about how much you have meant to us over these 30 years.

Beyond our development family, we also wouldn't have a studio without our extended family - our community! For 30 years now you have played our games - sometimes you've loved them, sometimes you've been disappointed with them, but you've always been there. We can speak for everyone who has worked at Volition when we say all the hard work and sacrifices we've put into these games have been for you. Over these many years we have enjoyed working on an extremely diverse series of games, and so many of you have come along for that ride. We can't thank you enough for sticking with us throughout all this time. We've loved your enthusiasm every step of the way, even those times when you wish we had (or hadn't!) gone a certain way with a Saints Row or Red Faction or Descent. You are why we kept making these games, and those of us that have been part of the Volition family will be eternally grateful.

Farewell.

(Not gonna lie, I wish they would have attributed that to specific people, but I don't know if the studio heads have been consistent.)

Ars Technica's story. This has a count of employees (200), but not what their fates will be. They also reference Ryan Hoss's Twitter.

Ryan Hoss wrote:
I have been affected by today's full studio closure of Volition. So proud of the work me and my team did during my 7 years there.

Having said that, I'm looking for a new position as a senior/lead VFX artist or art manager. Any leads would be appreciated. #gamedev #volitionjobs

PC Gamer's article brings up how Saint's Row was moved under Gearbox. They got a statement that says the next overall communication will be on the 16th of November. They did call out that the Saint's Row and Red Faction IPs will continue to be owned by Embracer's operative group, but no word on other IPs.

PMAVers mentioned that Dave Lang of Iron Galaxy (and Giant Bomb @ Nite) had words on this as of 1:33 PM Central Time:

Dave Lang wrote:
To those affected by the Volition closure: First off, sorry that blows. Second, we want to talk to you. Follow @IronGalaxy for more updates but we are figuring out logistics on a visit down I-57 now.
(I-57 is the corridor that links Chicago and Champaign/Urbana)

Iron Galaxy, for their part, posted and pinned that they are hiring... ALL the positions (as of 11:35 AM Central time). They explicitly call out hybrid work.

We're looking for a Managing Art Director to join our team as an artistic visionary. Help us ensure our visual elements are of the highest quality and with the growth of our art team members. Engineers, we have plenty of roles and levels for hire!

irongalaxystudios.com/careers
(The picture calls out that they have offices in Austin, Chicago, Nashville, and Orlando. They specifically list they are hiring "Associate Software Engineer, Lead Software Engineer, Rendering Engineer, Senior Rendering Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Software Engineer, and Managing Art Director."

Update 1: Engadget story: https://www.engadget.com/saints-row-studio-volition-abruptly-closes-due-to-restructuring-at-embracer-group-184731175.html

b4VZuB4.png
The Volition team has proudly created world-class entertainment for fans around the globe for 30 years. We've been driven by a passion for our community and always worked to deliver joy, surprise, and delight.

This past June, Embracer Group announced a restructuring program to strengthen Embracer and maintain its position as a leader in the video game industry. As part of that program, they evaluated strategic and operational goals and made the difficult decision to close Volition effective immediately.

To help our team, we are working to provide job assistance and help smooth the transition for our Volition family members. We thank our customers and fans around the world for all the love and support over the years. You will always be in our Hearts.

- Volition Games

Volition is close to me. My first online game and online community was Descent 2, via Kali/Kahn, which Volition helped develop back when they were part of Parallax software. Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2 are magical games that showed just what a space sim could do with storytelling and epic battles. And physically, they are based out of Champaign, IL, which is just 1 city over from me. Employees of theirs are known around my community in various regards.

Since then, Volition has been known for some of the most beloved games around here: The Saint's Row and Red Faction series. In fact, our dearly departed @IdolNinja even got to work for them due to his passion for them.

However, in my personal opinion, they have been adrift for the last 10 years. Their last few attempts at Saint's Row games fell flat, coming and going without being noticed. They were swept up in the THQ collapse, and then picked up by THQ Nordic and Deep Silver. They've often felt like they are not in control of their own destiny. And.. well.. I guess they definitely aren't, as of today.

This thread is for sharing the memories, and sharing support if anyone here knows people from the community. Be respectful, as there are many ties out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
Athenor on

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... Fuck the Embracer group. They are killing everything I love.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    god-DAMNIT!

-in warframe (pc), i am fungible-
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Wonder if they made any attempt to sell the studio and IP off.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Embracer will never sell the IP. That's the most valuable thing to them, especially selling old copies of the game.

They will likely sell off the physical office space.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Aren't Embracer the people who bought up a whole bunch of IPs that could charitably be called 'cult classics', and less flatteringly 'unprofitable'?

But if I'm being entirely honest, after Agents of Mayhem and the Saints Row reboot, the writing was on the wall.

Still, I'm gonna miss Volition. Their games were fun.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Saint's Row 3 and Saint's Row 4 are two of my top 10 games ever, I've done 1000/1000 on both three times (360, One, X), as well as 1000/1000 on Gat out of Hell twice. Saint's Row 4, especially, is just built on my childhood nostalgia (They Live fight, Transformers The Movie references, etc).

Agent's of Mayhem was meh. It tried too hard to be edgy, and didn't focus enough on the fun gameplay or exploration.

The Saint's Row reboot forgot what made Saint's Row fun.

• Options
    Yeah. I am not surprised, just angry.

Looking for a pic of what Embracer owns led me to this blog post about the restructuring:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/amirsatvat_embracer-activity-7074452525822660608-RERl?trk=public_profile_like_view

TpifLtv.jpg

Here's another version of that chart from 2022 that's a bit easier to read but more likely than not out of date.

https://www.reddit.com/r/coolguides/comments/sg98e1/gaming_companies_their_subsidiaries/

And here is a similar chart from Embracer's announcement of purchasing Asmodee, showing what falls under their umbrella in that market. It's also out of date, from Jan 2022.

dOhJ97q.jpg

• Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I will always hold a place in my heart for Freespace 2, one of the best space sims of all time. Thanks for the good times, Volition.

Edit: Also, at some point they added a provision to the Freespace 2 EULA that gave permission to share copies of the game with friends, as long as you don't try to profit from it. I've never seen that since from a major studio game. Volition, what legends.

HyperSplatt on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Now I'm ever so curious if there's any relation to this and Saint's Row being one of next month's PS+ games.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Engadget's story is up.

The only thing I would consider new in this (to me) is the identity of the mystery firm behind the 2 billion investment opportunity that fell through and kicked off this restructuring.

Surprise, surprise, it was a group called the "Savvy Games Group" that funded by the Saudi government.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    that chart is rather forward looking, already has actiblizzard and king in microsoft's portfolio but that hasn't actually happened yet.

Also doesn't have any of the japanese publishers except sony? Nor ubisoft?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Embracer has a zillion studios and 80% are tiny ones you never heard of. Take-two, "We got 15 flavors of Rockstar!"
    Now I'm ever so curious if there's any relation to this and Saint's Row being one of next month's PS+ games.

They're probably trying to squeeze whatever cash they can out of it. Wonder when it comes to Gamepass. I'm sure Sony's deal hinged on GP NOT getting it.

Nosf on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    that chart is rather forward looking, already has actiblizzard and king in microsoft's portfolio but that hasn't actually happened yet.

Also doesn't have any of the japanese publishers except sony? Nor ubisoft?

Edit:

The LinkedIn author does not attribute the chart in any way. The second chart is from reddit and is openly someone going "I did this for fun." Both are meant to be illustrative, because finding one of those cool charts that shows all the divisions and subdivisions are hard to find for something this scale.

Athenor on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Ah shit, I didn't know Remnant was under them now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, better let Remnant 2 finish its cycle at least.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/UrchciHCI8A?si=YQWbTfv1GCQRMGEj

Still my favorite videogame jump scare.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I have been away, but yay for people showing just how shitty companies are!

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    When I hear the name “Embracer” why do I imagine Marcus Aurelius’ final scene with Commodus in Gladiator?

Such a random thought.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i had no idea they made Descent

man

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Red Faction was such a creative, fun and silly game. I had such a good time being a space asshole. This is very sad.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am actually playimg through the new Saints Row right now, and it is Fine. But yeah, after the sales of Mayhem and this, I am not exactly surprised that the faceless conglomerate decided to axe the thing. A massive shame.

Red Faction and Saints Row are two top franchises, absolutely.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Always thought it was weird that Red Faction Guerilla was actually a big step back (to me) for the terrain destruction stuff. Mainly because they took out half the destruction and limited it to just building which was not, even at the time the game came out, that big a deal? I remember the freaking Playstation 2 version let me do stuff like drill straight through the level geometry to get around doors, whereas Guerilla just let you knock down some moderately-sized buildings. Felt to me like a pretty bland 3rd-person action game, to be honest.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Embrace, extend, extinguish seems to sadly be becoming Embracer group's MO ever since all of that Saudi Arabian money went AWOL.

A damn shame. 🙄😐😕

I wasn't that big of a fan of the Saints Row series, I always preferred GTA, but I really enjoyed and was blown away by the original Red Faction and it's (then ground-breaking, both figuratively and literally) geomod engine back in the early 00's of PC gaming. 💣💥

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Red Faction was such a creative, fun and silly game. I had such a good time being a space asshole. This is very sad.

RFG still holds one of my #1 standout Emergent Gameplay moments of all time, just because of how early it was in gaming history that I was able to plan it out and do it.

I had to destroy this super heavy defended facility. The front approach was through a natural canyon with some defenses. Instead I found a way to weasel up a cliff overlooking the base, jumped out of my car, applied every satchel charge in my inventory to every side of it, and sped it off the cliff jumping out at the last second.

Car crashes through the roof of the base, and I hit the trigger for the satchels, causing the entire base to instantly flatten.

God I should replay that game.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'll always have a soft spot for Volition. I didn't play everything they released, but I usually liked what I did play. I guess the demo for Descent was the first game I played by them, albeit it was before they were called Volition. Red Faction on PS2 was next, which I thought was a neat but uneven FPS. I never did complete that one; I think I made it to the final level and it was just too hard for me to get through at the time. Red Faction: Guerilla, though -- that's where they really crossed over into amazing territory for me. Demolishing buildings was so much fun! Didn't care for the sequel to that one too much, unfortunately.

I ignored the Saints Row series for a long time until the guys at Giant Bomb kept talking about how great it was. Eventually I got Saints Row the Third when it was on sale or something and had a great time. I really liked 4 as well.

In 2014, I moved to Urbana, Illinois, and suddenly found myself 4 miles from their studio. I signed up to be in their game testing pool and within a month they called me in with a group of other people to test out an upcoming game which ended up being Gat Out of Hell. That was a fun experience, but I signed an NDA and I honestly don't know what I can say about it aside from the fact that I was there for a good chunk of the day.

A few days later I think I ended up tagging @IdolNinja (RIP) on here and mentioning that I was now living in the area. We met up at a local restaurant and talked about their upcoming game, as well as opportunities for employment there. He invited me to a get-together or two with other Volition employees and I got to meet up with some cool people. I applied for a QA position and had an interview that I think went well, but several months went by and I moved on. By the time I found employment in my usual field, I emailed the interviewer and let him know and he was like "Sorry it didn't work out" and I got the impression they just never got the authorization to offer anyone the job yet. Honestly, I doubt the QA job would have been for me at all. That was pretty much the last time I interacted with Volition, aside from occasionally talking with IdolNinja on Facebook. I only lived in the area for 3 years before moving across the country.

I didn't buy Agents of Mayhem at release; it didn't really look interesting to me. That was a shame, because when I went to that one party with Volition employees, a bunch of them were talking about how they were really excited about their upcoming release. They couldn't mention any details about it, but I can only assume they were talking about AoM. Seems like it just didn't click. The new Saints Row didn't really do much to entice me to purchase either.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. TL;DR: Sad about Volition, liked a lot of their games, got to visit them once or twice, etc.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i had no idea they made Descent

man

Yes, in the sense that Parallax Software did (in fact, I think it was their first title; something they pitched to the likes of Apogee and other "first-person shooter companies", before choosing to partner with Interplay). I think Volition came out of when Parallax split; one half went to Outrage Games (which did publish Descent 3 before THQ bought them) and the other half to Volition. A very typical arrangement for a studio that came about thirty years ago.

On the subject of the attempted, much anticipated reboot, it's interesting to compare it to other bad launches (for those familiar with Arkane or what had been Luminous Studios within Square-Enix, consider Redfall or Forspoken); it remains to be seen if either of those games can be "righted", or if it even matters. The original Saint's Row doubtlessly benefitted by coming out in the gap between the last Grand Theft Auto III entry, designed for PS2, and Grand Theft Auto IV, which released on Xbox 360 as possibly the biggest game on that title. There was a chasm of wiggle-room between what was technically the most underpowered sixth generation console, and one of the largest games that came out on a seventh generation console (even considering how mor ethnically capable San Andreas was. It was a smart space to occupy: one of the earlier HD-capable open-world city shooting/driving games.

Then unfortunately, the Saint's Row reboot launches a few console generations later, in a space much more characterized by both multiplatform releases and open-world action/driving games (Watch Dogs, Just Cause, Mafia, etc.), to the point where there are many other games offering something very similar, and aren't in a precarious reboot situation. And it doesn't run well on console. And it doesn't look particularly good either. So the outcome was unfortunately predictable, or so goes the theory.

For me, I'll always remember Parallax for Prepare for Descent...

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I don't have the Tweet off-hand, but I did remember seeing Dave Lang running around trying to see if they can get some of the people let go into Iron Galaxy at least.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http.s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdwbygnAc0

That right there? That personality? That's why I loved this company.
    htt.ps://twitter.com/DSVolition/status/1697645816410780120

Gonna transcribe and add that into the OP. Thank you for sharing it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My already non-existent dreams for Freespace 3 now lay dashed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I had no idea Laura Bailey was in SRt3. Man, I want to replay that now.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    For the life of me, I can't find a video of it... but a moment that made me roar with so much laughter that I had to pause the game was somewhere in Saint's Row 3 or 4. I think it was 3, during the "Deckers.die" mission in cyberspace.

A bunch of commands were being entered in to bypass a firewall or an error screen.

One command:

"Release FS3"

The reply:

"No."

It was so out of left field. I think all the videos of the mission cut that particular scene.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Chip Cheezum’s been talking about it on SA and from the sounds of it, as far as Volition was aware, Saints Row was not looking too bad because it had steady long term sales. The projection was “decently profitable”. So it really is full on “fuck it, torch shit cuz we lost money” from Embracer

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, as soon as it released on steam it was in the top 20 in sales. So it wasn't huge, but I have to imagine that's pretty decent.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    If Embracer was running a business and not some kind of financial scheme, a sequel to Saints Row reboot that "listens to the fans" would be a pretty good bet. Gamers LOVE being told they're right and having a fun game to play, it's kind of their favorite thing of all time.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    For the life of me, I can't find a video of it... but a moment that made me roar with so much laughter that I had to pause the game was somewhere in Saint's Row 3 or 4. I think it was 3, during the "Deckers.die" mission in cyberspace.

A bunch of commands were being entered in to bypass a firewall or an error screen.

One command:

"Release FS3"

The reply:

"No."

It was so out of left field. I think all the videos of the mission cut that particular scene.

Check this video at 4:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3yZnK2AJW8

• Options
    You always come through for me, Heffling. Because of the nature of SR4 I forgot there was a cyberspace part like that. :)

• Options
    I am nerd, hear me nasally roar!

• Options
    I have updated the thread to be more inclusive and embrace everything around it.

Or more specifically - to talk about the Embracer group as a whole. Word is spreading today that they are looking to sell off Gearbox to another publisher, and are shopping around media materials. This is yet more fallout from the Saudi deal, I'm sure.

https://www.engadget.com/embracer-may-sell-borderlands-creator-gearbox-amid-financial-woes-161505145.html

While I didn't put this in the OP, it does make me wonder what the long-term plan for the Embracer Group was. If a single sale falling through is causing them to cut off this much, then how leveraged were they?

• Options
    Matt McMuscles just dropped an episode on Saint's Row (2022). I don't know how long he was working on this, but I would suspect "not long" given what he talks about.

It covers what most people in this thread already know - the Saudi deal going south, the massive layoffs, etc. However, it also hints that there's a lot more Embracer is not making public, in terms of firings and re-orgs. Nothing outright stated, but... come on, who would be surprised?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQH0sU0lJDA