As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a good component switch

KalrenKalren Registered User regular
Help me, PA-Forums-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

I'm in the process of switching all my older consoles and such over to component cables for use on my new HDTV, but it doesn't have enough component inputs to do the job, so this is where you come in!

I'm looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced (sub $200, if possible) high-quality component video/audio selector with at least 3 inputs and 1 output. Auto-sensing, remote, and/or optical audio switching are all nice bonuses, but not required.

Anyone got any good recommendations?

Kalren on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got a auto-sensing component switch from WalMart for like $20. I haven't had any complaints.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    KalrenKalren Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I got a auto-sensing component switch from WalMart for like $20. I haven't had any complaints.

Just to clarify, this was a component video switch? As in, it has the Red, Green, and Blue inputs along with the Red and White sound inputs, and not the Red, White, Yellow composite inputs? Because the cheapest I've been able to find any sort of component video input switch is like $45 online, and that was for one of questionable quality.

If so, brand name or anything would be great, as my Wal-Mart doesn't seem to have any around here.

Kalren on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    joytech

AV 240C or equivalent model

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kalren wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »

Just to clarify, this was a component video switch? As in, it has the Red, Green, and Blue inputs along with the Red and White sound inputs, and not the Red, White, Yellow composite inputs? Because the cheapest I've been able to find any sort of component video input switch is like $45 online, and that was for one of questionable quality.

If so, brand name or anything would be great, as my Wal-Mart doesn't seem to have any around here.

Yes, a component switch, although it also had ports for composite and s-video. It was a Phillips brand and come to think of it it may have been as high as thirty dollars. I've had no noticeable signal degradation with it, although I'm only running at 1080i, not 1080p. I'm trying to look for my old posts on the topic but search is a bit sketchy, as you may have noticed.

Anyone who pays anything close to two hundred dollars for a switch is a sucker.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have one that does component, etc. It's made by Pelican, has 8 component inputs and 3 ethernet inputs. . No remote, no auto-sensing. It's a hard switch, meaning you push a button and that changes the source. I had it set up with an Xbox (component), GameCube (component), DVD player (component), Dreamcast (s-video), SNES (s-video). Worked great, although I had to get up to switch it.

I'm actually planning on getting rid of it since I'm replacing my A/V setup at home, and was probably just going to junk it instead of dealing with craigslist for what would probably amount to 10 or 15 bucks, so if you want me to ship it to you instead just let me know. You could try it out and use it as a stopgap until you get something better, or just keep using it until you get sick of it and upgrade your A/V setup. As long as it's not against the forum rules for me to offer, of course.

If not, there are numerous "game selector" things available for cheap, although you'll likely have to snag one off eBay or otherwise get them online, since most people just use a receiver and/or switcher for that stuff.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I vouch for the Phillips Walmart auto-switcher...

it's everything you could ask for

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack