As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Telltale and similar stuff] They Still Exist, Right?

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited October 2023 in Games and Technology
I couldn't find the old thread thanks to the crappy search, so I guess it's time to start over.

Anyway, Telltale! What a, er, tale. They were one of the few companies that managed to make episodic gaming work and cranked out some great narrative-heavy experiences like new Sam and Max, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, and the surprisingly fantastic Tales from the Borderlands.

But then they cranked out too many games (seriously, I played their take on Guardians of the Galaxy and I couldn't tell you a damn thing about it) and imploded. Then some folks we've never heard of bought the smoking remains of the company and pledged to start anew. There was much skepticism, but at least they got most of their back catalog back up for sale.

And now this has happened:

Yes, we're getting a sequel to one of their top games (tied or very close to Tales of the Borderlands). Will it be any good? Will it follow the old Telltale formula that eventually ran the company into the ground, or will it do something new? Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I still feel weird about the shambling corpse wearing the skin of TellTale coming back with a bunch of hired guns, but I'm sure people really wanted another Wolf Among Us, so....

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Woo, my favorite of the bunch, and I had no idea this IP existed outside of reading Willingham's Elementals comics back in the day. Way back in the day.

• Options
    So, the other of Telltale's best games has apparently been resurrected. Thanks to an Amazon listing, we know that we're getting a new Tales from the Borderlands called... New Tales from the Borderlands. Coming October 21?

I'm a little wary, especially if Gearbox is doing this in-house. I'm still annoyed they turned Rhys from a quirky yet nuanced and earnest character in Tales to Wacky McJokeMachine in Borderlands 2-3.

• Options
    Reviews for the New Tales from the Borderlands are up.

Apparently it plays exactly like the old Tales from the Borderlands and doesn't evolve it one bit. Writing seems to be good, though I've read some reviews that say it falls apart in the fifth chapter.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Reviews for the New Tales from the Borderlands are up.

Apparently it plays exactly like the old Tales from the Borderlands and doesn't evolve it one bit. Writing seems to be good, though I've read some reviews that say it falls apart in the fifth chapter.

I'm not sure Tales from the Borderlands needed to evolve. As long as it's funny and well written, I'm in.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Just saw this thread.

I finished New Tales from the Borderlands. It's not great, but not terrible? Mostly it's underwhelming and amateurish compared to its predecessor.

It has genuinely laugh-out-loud humor, mostly enjoyable characters (LOU13 the robot in particular) and the game looks and plays how you would expect. But the writing is mediocre more often than not and suffers pacing issues and a shallow plot. It consistently commits the sin of "urgent" scenes where the main threat patiently waits around for an eternity for the characters to go through dialogue.

I don't think the story really "falls apart" at any point since it was never wholly together in the first place.

At full price, I find it hard to recommend.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I had low expectations for this and it managed to get below even those. Terribly written, unfunny, boring and just awful are the main things that come to mind. It feels like they had basically no budget, given that spend most of two chapters in a destroyed Froyo shop and later continue a rancidly unfunny "froop" joke on for far too long.

Dreadful.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Yeah, it sucks. I couldn't make it past the first chapter - Anu and Octavio were just so goddamn annoying, Rhys seemed out of character, the animations looked cheap, etc. etc.

• Options
    So, how's Telltale doing?

https://x.com/jjonahjonahson/status/1709979363608039784?s=20
    This is a sore subject, but I feel it necessary to add to the gaming layoff news: Telltale laid most of us off early September. Status of TWAU2, I can't say (NDA).

Now, I focus on what matters to me—my own game, and the following words:

Games industry, we must UNIONIZE.

Granted the whole damn industry seems to be going through some major turbulence as it adjusts to a post-pandemic world. But given how precarious new Telltale always seemed, I'm not sure we can count on them delivering all the stuff they promised.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm sure those people enjoyed eating and having homes, but I'm sure a few of them might feel silly having been fired in the first place and then returning as contractors instead.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00