Options

Getting new PC: software that helps with the process?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
I'm planning to get a new PC at some point this year. Since I've been in the PC game since the early '90s, I'm used to the whole spiel: making a list of all the software I need to reinstall, transferring passwords, all that jazz.

However, since this is the year 2024, I've been wondering: is there any software these days that helps with the process of moving from one PC to another? A program that makes a list of everything that needs to be reinstalled, makes a note of relevant setups, copies passwords and the like, and then automates a fair part of the process? Or should I expect flying cars before anything along those lines?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Would it make sense to make use of a cloud-based password manager for you? I also noticed nearly all games that come through Steam and GOG can just be copied over and when you're opening the client on your new PC you can install the game and it'll just check the folder and won't download stuff if its already in there.

Not aware of specific tools to help you, so I'll read this thread when I want to upgrade to a new PC.

• Options
    Yeah, most of my passwords are covered by the browser I'm using. Not sure about passwords in other apps. I've definitely got them noted down somewhere, though, so the main issue is really all the software I need to reinstall, including plug-ins, and the various settings. Something like Skyrim's Wabbajack tool, just for software, would be cool... it it existed.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    It isn't for transfer but Ninite is a nice tool for reinstalling lots of freeware automatically https://ninite.com/

• Options
    Cheers. Ideally, what I'd want would be something that scans the PC, makes a list and then helps you reinstall those programs at the other end, but Ninite will at least make it easier to reinstall many of the usual suspects.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    I used to use this software. It's not free but depending on the machine, it can def be worth it.

https://www.fpnet.fr/

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can keep the old hard drive, if it turns out you missed something. You can even keep that Windows license activated separate from your new build. Plug it in as a secondary drive

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You can keep the old hard drive, if it turns out you missed something. You can even keep that Windows license activated separate from your new build. Plug it in as a secondary drive

This is pretty solid advice here. Gets trickier if you wanna keep the old rig running though, unless you had multiple drives in it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    It has been a while since I tried tools like what you're looking for, so long that I can't even recall what they was called. However nothing I tried worked well enough that is was really worth it - simply put while in a way helpful not being perfect made dealing with the misses more detective work than just doing the complete job manually.

My solution has since been:
    • When planning a move then start making a list of what is must have stuff, making that list over like a week or so makes it unlikely you miss something. The list should also include browser plug-ins if you use any.
    • Make backups of documents, save games, browser favorites...
    • Build the new system, install must have stuff, transfers the backed up files and all.
    • Keep the old system around or at the very least the drives from the old system + passwords if the drives was encrypted.

Also I highly recommend using a password manager. While convenient I prefer one that is not on-line and not integrated into browsers and more, to me having a stand alone program just feels safer, you can even make it a "portable" one as in a program that isn't installed as such just and instead just runs when you need it. I like the one called KeePass, it is free and seems to be widely viewed as safe.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Cheers. That’s pretty much how I’ve done it so far, though without the help of a password manager. I had hoped there’d be tools to help make this easier, but I see your point re: the available tools not making it all that much easier on the whole.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    FWIW, a new build gives you a chance to figure out what you actually use/need regularly and get rid of some chaff

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    this can be a bit of help, not in direct transfer but in getting apps and cleaning things up
    https://github.com/ChrisTitusTech/win10script