Options

Novel critique resources

JarsJars Registered User regular
I've spent the past 6 years now writing and I have come out with 2 novels, but I'm about as far as I can go with just self-editing. I'm not really sure where to go next, as reading a 75,000 word novel is a big ask of someone. Are there peer groups to seek out? Should I start looking for a professional?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I don't know nothing, but seems like you'd want to get a publishing deal/contract before worrying about editing further?

Guessing whoever does publishing will have their own team.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I don't know nothing, but seems like you'd want to get a publishing deal/contract before worrying about editing further?
    Guessing whoever does publishing will have their own team.
    Problem with that is you kind of get into a loop of "Can't shop it around until I get it edited, can't get it edited until it's sold, can't get it sold until I shop it around...".

Jars,
    Are you a part of any writing oriented communities? I know that the PA forums have the Writer's Block/Well forums, but they're pretty quiet. But, if you're part of a larger writer community, maybe find out if they're willing to edit a couple of chapters so you have something in an edited state to shop around to agents/publishers. Offer the same service in return since being too close to your work may be what's making self editing harder and less productive. Getting your eyes on someone else's work can be just as helpful as getting someone else to eyeball your work. It's been quite some time since I looked into publishing, but it seemed at the time that most publishers aren't looking for full manuscripts, but just enough to determine if they like the taste, then move on to the next in the pile. There are way more aspiring writers than there are publishers or agents for authors, so they don't have time to chew through entire novels.

Alternatively, maybe self publish, then wait for the vitriol, self aggrandizement and hatred for humanity of the internet to edit your work for you? Not recommended for your personal mental health, but it might save some money?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I've done some query letters to agents which usually consists of the first chapter or two, but they are notorious for getting rejected en mass and some of the most famous authers had a hell of a time getting an agent.

I'm not part of any writing groups, I can look around but working evenings limits my options. Some peer opinions would probably help.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    You could try looking for online groups, perhaps ones associated with NaNoWriMo? I think what you want to look for are generally called "beta readers". They're not editors, but they can give you more varied feedback to use before you start shopping your novels around to the pros.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Maybe this forum might be of some help:

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php

I have been there on (and mostly off) for the past decade and its a pretty big community. And even if you don't find Beta readers directly, you will find resources on how to proceed.