Options

PC audio problem

RT800RT800 Registered User regular
edited April 24 in Help / Advice Forum
This might be a long shot but here goes.

I recently put a new PC together. New motherboard, processor, etc - the works.

But I'm using the same speaker system I had with my old computer.

For the most part the audio is fine. I can hear system messages and listen to youtube videos and podcasts perfectly well.

The problem is in games. The directional audio for NPC dialogue seems very off in most every game.

That is, if I'm standing right next to an NPC and they are speaking, I can hear them no problem - but if I turn around and face away from them, their voice volume gets so low it's almost inaudible.

This problem doesn't seem to extend to other environmental noises like gunshots or explosions. I can "hear" when a firefight is happening far away, for example.

But if an NPC is talking right behind me, I can't hear them unless I turn around.

I'm not really sure where to even start with this kind of problem. I looked through my audio settings but don't see anything obviously related. I tried updating the drivers for the speakers, but Windows says the best drivers are already installed.

Anyone have any ideas?

RT800 on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    which games are doing this in particular? might try messing with audio settings in the specific games you're having this problem with, see if any of them are causing it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25
    The games I've been playing most recently are Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4. The problem seems to exist in both games.

But I've also been playing a bit of Baldur's Gate 3, and I think the problem is present there as well.

For instance if I've panned the camera a just little bit away from my party while they're speaking, the audio sounds as if I've panned A LOT away and the voices get very low. I basically have to have them on-screen to hear them speaking.

I don't think it's a problem with the games. I'm starting to think it's a Windows 11 issue, since I switched from 10 to 11 when I switched computers.

RT800 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It sounds like you have surround sound enabled with stereo speakers. There are a few things I can recommend you check.

First open the Windows control panel (hit start and type the word "control"). Change the view from "Category" to "Large Icons" and find the one called "Sound." Double click your current default audio device (it will have a green check next to it) to open the properties. Go to the advanced tab and check the "default format." You want to select 2 channel audio. There will be a bunch of different bitrates for "2 channel" but 24-bit 48000 Hz is probably the first one you want to try.

If that fixes it, you're done. If not try this next.

In the same advanced properties menu uncheck the box for "Audio Enhancements" and test again.

If that is still doesn't fix it disable spatial sound (if you have that tab).

• Options
    edited April 25
    I fiddled around in the advanced tab of the menu you mentioned.

It was already set to 24-bit 48000 Hz.

I clicked on the Spatial sound tab and spatial sound format was set to "Off"

The only option other than "off" was "Window's Sonic for Headphones"

I'm not using headphones, but I went ahead and switched it to that.

It seems to have fixed the problem. Weird. I don't know why it has headphones in the name when it effects my speakers as well.

Thanks for helping me find the setting. It's a relief to finally be able to hear what characters are saying without having to stare directly into their eyes.

RT800 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I fiddled around in the advanced tab of the menu you mentioned.

It was already set to 24-bit 48000 Hz.

I clicked on the Spatial sound tab and spatial sound format was set to "Off"

The only option other than "off" was "Window's Sonic for Headphones"

I'm not using headphones, but I went ahead and switched it to that.

It seems to have fixed the problem. Weird. I don't know why it has headphones in the name when it effects my speakers as well.

Thanks for helping me find the setting. It's a relief to finally be able to hear what characters are saying without having to stare directly into their eyes.

That effectively disabled surround sound on your system by forcing it to use headphone mixing. That will probably work just fine but you may hear some odd effects as the mixer tries to expand out the sound stage for headphones. I'm curious if that tab with 24-bit was set to "2 channel" or some higher number.

• Options
    edited April 26
    I don't see anything about channels or surround sound on the tab.

I took a screenshot, though:
    vvy43lecdlnh.jpg

Don't know how informative it may be.

The speakers are just a 2.1setup. Two speakers and a subwoofer. They're just plug-and-play as far as I know, and worked fine on my old computer for years. Never had this problem until now.

RT800 on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Yeah it sounds like the new sound system had a dedicated center channel or something that was just getting lost instead of going to your speakers

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I had noticed this happening in Starfield but merely opening Sounds from the control panel caused Windows to notice an issue and fix it. What speakers are you using? Any chance they have vendor software for configuration that might help?

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Could be the drivers for the audio chips in your system comes with some sort of separate control software.

Try to take a look in the manual that came with your motherboard, it might be mentioning some audio software and then see if that is installed and if so - what you can do with it. And if you don't find anything, then try looking at page for your motherboard at the company who made it - there you will likely find a software/download section and there you may find some audio control software.

Bones heal, glory is forever.