Options

I want new eyes

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I am 22 and I want Lasix eye surgery done, hopefully within the next year or two. After having done some research on it, I have a few questions hopefully some recipients that have had it done, have answers to:

1. Roughly, how much are we looking at? (USA)

2. Now, my vision is really bad, as in, I cant read the big E anymore. I am looking at lasixplus as a provider and they state your eyes need to maintain the same prescription for one year. Now how do I know this? I do maintain eye exams or anything like that yearly, nor do I change prescriptions but of maybe anywhere from 2-3 years.

3. Since I am in the computer field, will this have any effect on my recovery time, since I just stare at computers all day?

precisionk on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't answer from first hand experience, but I know guys who have had lasik done within the last few years.

1. Last quote I heard was generally in the $2000-$3000 per eye range in most cases at a quality place. There are places that do it for less, but the people I know who checked those places out said that they felt much safer going with the more costly places.

2. I can't help here

3. Everyone I know who has had lasik is in IT and stares at a computer all day. While I can't comment on if their recovery time was longer or not, I can tell you none of them have any complaints and fell it was totally worth doing.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    what's wrong with contacts?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I had mine done in May of 2006.

It ended up costing around $2000 dollars total for me. This was in Columbus, Georgia.

Do not settle for regular Lasik, make sure you get Wavefront. The older Lasik type surgeries usually left you seeing flares and you lose your night vision. (This was back in 1988-1996)

I had two appointments before the procedure, the actual procedure itself (painless), and the post appointments for $2k. I had to pay for antibiotic eye drops and systane (eye drops, Visine is a #1 no no).

There is also the fact that a lot of places offer a lifetime guarantee if you schedule one exam a year. That means if you ever need it again, (around your 40s or so), they will repeat the procedure free of charge.

If you have your heart set on it, go for it. It was the best purchase I ever made.

Jeffro on
    Pokemon Diamond Code: 0000 9809 8396
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I had mine done in May of 2006.

It ended up costing around $2000 dollars total for me. This was in Columbus, Georgia.

Do not settle for regular Lasik, make sure you get Wavefront. The older Lasik type surgeries usually left you seeing flares and you lose your night vision. (This was back in 1988-1996)

I had two appointments before the procedure, the actual procedure itself (painless), and the post appointments for $2k. I had to pay for antibiotic eye drops and systane (eye drops, Visine is a #1 no no).

There is also the fact that a lot of places offer a lifetime guarantee if you schedule one exam a year. That means if you ever need it again, (around your 40s or so), they will repeat the procedure free of charge.

If you have your heart set on it, go for it. It was the best purchase I ever made.

A good buddy of mine did it a year or two ago as well. His experience was the same as yours, and he's been nothing but happy with it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Depends on where you get it done. I believe it's still cheapest in the Toronto area ($750/eye?), though Jeffro got it done in Georgia for not much more. It's about $1500 per eye in the Hudson Valley (New York) where I am.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm going to be repeatedly misspelling optomatrist below.

I had mine done October 2005.

It cost $2100cdn per eye for LASIC.

Your prescription must be stable for at least a year (or else there's no point in doing it).

There are various Pre-Op exams, most of which can be done by your regular optomatrist in a single day (they will dialate your pupils, so don't plan on driving home. Or even walking in sunlight (ouch)). The rest of the pre-op is done by the surgeon's people, it takes about an hour.

The actual procedure took about an hour (probably less, I don't really remember). You are awake (this is a requirement) and they use anesthetic eyedrops on your eyes. Talk to your optomatrist or a surgeon about the surgery.

Immediately afterwards your eyes generally won't feel anything, as the anesthetic works for a while. Within an hour you will (temporarily) become extremely light sensative (painfully so in my case). My surgery was at 7pm, in a pitch black basement with no light sources I could see easily by the light coming down the stairs around a corner.

The first round of eyedrops (antibiotics, steroids, artificial tears) is six hours after surgery. When I woke up to take these drops my eyes already felt much better (regular lights sensativity, little to no pain while open), my vision was improving.

The next morning you take another round of steroid, antibiotic, and fake tears, and every three hours after that (for the next few days, possibly longer if your surgeon wishes). Fake tears also as needed.

you will have an appointment with the surgeon for a post-op exam the day after surgery, and again three days after surgery. After that point my surgeon offered to continue the exams himself or refer me back to my optomatrist.

You continue with antibacterials and steroids until you run out, or your surgeon or optomatrist tells you.

Fake tears may or may not be required, but keep a bottle with you at all times just in case, ESPECIALLY if you will be driving.

Oh, and the day after my surgery, one of my eyes was 20/20, the other was slightly less. At the three day exam, both eyes were 20/20. As of August this year, I was still 20/20 and my optomatrist expects my eyes to stay that way until I'm at least 30 (I'm currently 22, 21 at time of surgery).

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ruckus wrote:
    I'm going to be repeatedly misspelling optomatrist below.

I had mine done October 2005.

It cost $2100cdn per eye for LASIC.

Your prescription must be stable for at least a year (or else there's no point in doing it).

There are various Pre-Op exams, most of which can be done by your regular optomatrist in a single day (they will dialate your pupils, so don't plan on driving home. Or even walking in sunlight (ouch)). The rest of the pre-op is done by the surgeon's people, it takes about an hour.

The actual procedure took about an hour (probably less, I don't really remember). You are awake (this is a requirement) and they use anesthetic eyedrops on your eyes. Talk to your optomatrist or a surgeon about the surgery.

Immediately afterwards your eyes generally won't feel anything, as the anesthetic works for a while. Within an hour you will (temporarily) become extremely light sensative (painfully so in my case). My surgery was at 7pm, in a pitch black basement with no light sources I could see easily by the light coming down the stairs around a corner.

The first round of eyedrops (antibiotics, steroids, artificial tears) is six hours after surgery. When I woke up to take these drops my eyes already felt much better (regular lights sensativity, little to no pain while open), my vision was improving.

The next morning you take another round of steroid, antibiotic, and fake tears, and every three hours after that (for the next few days, possibly longer if your surgeon wishes). Fake tears also as needed.

you will have an appointment with the surgeon for a post-op exam the day after surgery, and again three days after surgery. After that point my surgeon offered to continue the exams himself or refer me back to my optomatrist.

You continue with antibacterials and steroids until you run out, or your surgeon or optomatrist tells you.

Fake tears may or may not be required, but keep a bottle with you at all times just in case, ESPECIALLY if you will be driving.

Oh, and the day after my surgery, one of my eyes was 20/20, the other was slightly less. At the three day exam, both eyes were 20/20. As of August this year, I was still 20/20 and my optomatrist expects my eyes to stay that way until I'm at least 30 (I'm currently 22, 21 at time of surgery).

Understandably, I know your eyes get worse as you get older, but the doctor expected your eyes to only stay that way until you are 30? I was hoping to not have wear glasses again to an extent. Am I wrong in assuming?

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Because I work with computers all day and never blink. Thus dryness and the pain they cause me.

precisionk on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    precisionk wrote:

Because I work with computers all day and never blink. Thus dryness and the pain they cause me.

tried hard contacts??

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    lordswing wrote:
    precisionk wrote:

tried hard contacts??
    Have you ever tried them though? I wear soft contacts and their generally fine all day. Just fine out your prescription and grab a little box from Wal Mart. I get six contacts for $17. Try 'em first.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    First off, they can't really offer a lifetime guarantee. There's about a maximum of three times that you can get touch-ups(2 is probably safer) before there's too much scar tissue.

There is the definite possibility that your eyes will get worse, or that you'll only get about 20/50 vision, but for many people, being able to go without contacts or glasses in any situation except driving or watching a movie is huge.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    precisionk wrote:

Doesn't laser eye surgery cause problems for people with dry eyes just as much as contacts do? I'm curious because I had the same issue with contacts.

Zek on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    While I haven't had this done (and would like to actually but I don't mind contacts at all) Many of my friends have.

You do need to have yearly checkups on your eyes so you can prove your prescription isn't changing, at least any eye-doctor I know of wants to see that.

In my area, a family friend who's an eye-doctor that does this procedure charges $999 per eye.

From everything I'm told it's a painless short procedure and you get it done late in the day, get a ride home and go to sleep, wake up and you're good to go.

ShimSham on