Options

No POST, No Video, Fans turn on HELP

meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
Came home from work yesterday and my desktop looked like it wasn't coming out of sleep. Noticed no power to the keyboard and mouse. Rebooted and it wouldn't. No post beeps, no display, no hard drive spin up. All the fans turn on (CPU, PSU, and video card).

I pulled all the RAM (Had 4 512 sticks) and tried them one at a time, same story. Even with no RAM it does the same thing so I don't think the problem lies there.
Another computer in the house has the same PSU, swapped it out. Didn't change a thing.

Now I'm looking at either the CPU, motherboard, or video card. I don't have anything in the house I can swap into this one (No AGP slots, PCIe only) and no other LGA775 proc's. Can anyone help me figure out which one it is if that is possible? I'm thinking video card because I found a lot of pet hair (chinchilla) and dust clogging the fan and giant heat sink/plastic thing. Factors against this are the fact that when I disconnected the 6-pin PCIe power connector from the card and tried to start up the computer, it made the high pitched solid beep that indicates the cable is disconnected. I guess it could be fried and that would still happen but I don't know.

Thanks for any help.

archer_sig-2.jpg
meatflower on

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can you check the motherboard near the power connector? This sounds very similar to the capacitor problem that has plagued certain Dell models. Check the capacitors' tops. They should be nice and flat. If they are bulging/leaking things will not work well.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    All the capacitors around the 24 pin connector and the 4 pin look fine. It's an Abit IL8.

I also just noticed that the sole IDE connector on the board has been squishing one of the capacitors on the video card, maybe 10 degrees. Still looks okay otherwise and seems very connected. I doubt that would be it because it was all working when I turned the monitor off the night before and didn't get moved or anything. Nothing that would have pushed the cap out further.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    LovingFFXILovingFFXI Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Iif you think it is the video card take it out and see if the computer will post.

LovingFFXI on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If it does the same thing without a video card or ram in it then it's most likely the motherboard. Does it get a signal to the monitor when the computer is off?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It was doing the same thing w/o the video card. I have already gone back and forth to Fry's twice, got a new videocard, same deal. Returned it now and came back w/ a new mobo and processor. I was going to be building a new system in about two weeks so it's just happening a little earlier than I planned.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have had a Gigabyte P965 and P35 do that in the last year. I've switched to an Evga 680i A1 and have had no problems. I hope it stays like that.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's working now, though it's not really the same computer anymore :P. I got a Core2 Quad Q6600 and a Gigabyte P35-DS3L in there with my previous RAM and video card. I hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate as the previous poster, I've only read praise for the DS3L on Newegg, seems like a good board. Gotta reinstall Windows now which is lame.

Thanks for the help everyone.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg