Options

Wireless router help

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
I use a Dell Wireless 2350 Router. I am not very fluent with router stuff, or computer stuff in general. I use it for my comp and my wife's comp-- both of these are physically attached with wires (old computers) and for my Wii. When I set it up, (thanks to this forum :) ) several months ago, I forgot to secure it or whatever. I want to make it so random people in my apartment building can not use my bandwidth.

Lately, my connection has been glacial at times, even when only using on computer. I understand cable connections can have speed fluctuations-- at least that is what people have told me. I was resigned to this. I figured someone else nearby had gotten the service. Someone told me that would result in a slower connection.

I remembered how to get to the router configuration page (192.168.2.1). This is what mine looks like:

I recognize my wife's computer, my computer, and the wii. What the hell is the rest of the stuff? It looks like at least one of my neighbors is using my connection. How do I secure my router?

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There are a few ways, the easiest from a user standpoint IMO is to enable WPA security. It's going to require a password each time you connect, which you can save so you don't have to enter it each time. Just look for the wireless security button, tab, or whatever that router has and it should take you to a page with the setup. It should be as simple as selecting WPA security and setting a password.

I currently use a stricter method of protecting my wireless by using MAC filtering, which basically only lets certain computers connect to my router. I also do not broadcast an SSID, which is something that most wireless routers do by default, and that is the easiest way for other people to see your router.

Hope that helps.

Doomulon on
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I also agree with a MAC filtering scheme, with a extra layer of WPA (WEP if you really need to get your DS online) on top. This will stop 99% of most casual leechers and give that hardcore 1% alittle extra work to get in (which they will eventually do).

Also, I would blur out that public IP and MAC address (all of them) out of that picture, someone "in the know" might take advantage of that information.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You need to do this right away

and I hope you don't store anything personal on your computers... or that the people nearby know how to look for root shares

password your router's config page, use MAC filtering, and stop broadcasting your SSID

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've got a Linksys router with dd-wrt. How do I stop broadcasting the SSID, and once that's done how do I connect to the network with other machines after adding their MAC address to the allowed list?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I somehow have two threads on this. I thought I deleted this one before I went to work yesterday, but I guess I didn't. Whoops. I am going enable WPA.
    router2hv7.th.png

I really don't understand more than half of what you guys are talking about. WPA is the better one, right?
    ASCII characters means I could just put in a phrase, right? Something with letters, or letters and numbers, and spaces and stuff? So my passcode could be something like "Man I hate Tuesdays doggies!"

I guess I should ask for a lock one of the threads? This one or the HA one.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    After I set the WPA ASCII password, what will I need to do? Will that password affect only wireless connections? If a computer is physically plugged in with an ethernet cord, I should not have to do anything, right?

I am guessing these things. I don't want to start screwing with something like this and wind up with no internet for 3 days while I try to remember what I did wrong and have to drive to the library to ask questions on these forums. (I had to do that once)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yes a password on wireless security only applies to wireless connections

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I did it. Thanks doggies.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So the little wirless light is not flickering anymore. I guess noone is using it. However, I still stuff I don't understand:

router3eq2.png

I have no idea what the underlined items are.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Those were probably the computers leaching your internet. They will stay there until the lease timer expires. When your router gives out an IP address to a computer (using what's called DHCP), it attaches a time limit to it. If the time time limit is reached and the computer does not ask for a renewal at any point before then, the DHCP software will put that IP address back in the pool of IP addresses it's allowed to hand out.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So those three things I underlined are down to less than an hour now. When their time runs out, they won't be allowed back on unless they input a password, right?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They shouldn't be allowed on since you turned the wireless encryption on. Those leases are simply leftovers of their visit.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg