Options

Digital Picture Frames with ... wifi?

ToyDToyD Registered User regular
So, I have been holding out on digital picture frames, but saw one today that caught my eye. Here is my requirement: It must connect to my PC via WiFi and show my designated pictures from there. I am lazy and want to see ALL my pictures, not have to maintain my picture frame.

So, knowing this requirement, I found this:

Sungale's AW15B-WF

This is a 15.4" digital picture frame with a 1280x800 pixel resolution. But the key is that it supports wifi and after configured will grab your photos from flickr, yahoo, or any photo shared from windows media player to that device!!

This meets my requirements astoundingly well and is the ONLY one I've seen so far to do so. Now, knowing that it still needs to pass some hurdles such as being able to actually join my secured wireless network (I don't even use my DS wifi because I'm not going back to WEP), I'm curious to know what people know about the supported resolution? Currently my photos are taken with a Nikkon D50 and work out to a 3008x2000 resolution. Is this going to compress or stretch them horribly? As I said above, I've been holding out on digital picture frames and want some other feedback on the more mundane aspects of them.

Link to manual

Also, I haven't found any review for this particular picture frame anywhere using google, however I did find some reviews of an older 7" digital frame from sunvale and the reviews were pretty universally bad. However, the said picture frame was like a 400x280 resolution and all of the reviews I saw complained about picture stretching and resolution, so this is a pretty good improvement at least in the resolution department.

Commence feedback por favor.

steam_sig.png
ToyD on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I know Kodak makes a wifi model, too.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I did not know kodak had one, but after looking I find the Kodak Easyshare EX1011.

Now this is a bit cheaper, but the screen is only 10" and the resolution is 800x480 with a 16:9 aspect ratio. So I'm losing resolution, but I know it'll support WPA. It also supports the Windows Media Player sharing the first one does. So it looks like, while being cheaper and a more recognizable brand name, that I'm losing size and resolution in the process.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I bought something like the Kodak one for my parents last Christmas. I think the 800x600 resolution was fine. It doesn't stretch pictures to fit the frame really, and the resolution on it looked really great. They don't have WiFi so its not really a feature that I was looking for. I did notice that a lot of the cheaper ones/brands had really shitty transitions with frame rates low enough that you could count.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    I just had a great idea: I'm gonna drive around with an antenna on the car and make all frames with wifi display goatse.

Echo on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wargoatse-ing?

brilliant!

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    I mean, there's gonna be thousands of these things with default passwords!

Echo on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2008
    But how would you know where they are? I mean, these things have been out for a while, but I've never been in any house that has one.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Heard about these for the first time a few months back on the Major Nelson podcast. E was talking about buying one for his dad and synching it up to a flickr account, so he could take pictures of his kids, upload them to flickr, and his dad gets regularly updated pictures of his grandkids.
    That's pretty cool.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Heard about these for the first time a few months back on the Major Nelson podcast. E was talking about buying one for his dad and synching it up to a flickr account, so he could take pictures of his kids, upload them to flickr, and his dad gets regularly updated pictures of his grandkids.
    That's pretty cool.

Ya I heard that too... I was very interested. It's on my list for the family this year.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack