Options

The best idea ever? [The Portable Drive-In]

Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
dr07-mywheelsmain-0404n-4.jpg

The Car; A black 98 Ford Mustang Convertable.

24-116-112-04.jpg
The Projector; A ViewSonic 1024 x 768 DLP. 2200 ANSI, and Lumens 2000:1

The Plan

Using a 300w power inverter to turn my car's cigarette lighter into an ac outlet, I intend to mount this projector atop my dashboard and plug it in to a nearby laptop, playing a DVD. I have a plug to feed the laptop's audio directly into the car's speak system, and the laptop battery will last at least the length of the movie. Now I only need to drive up to a light shaded and poorly lit wall, and presto.

Gentlemen, I give you.. The Portable Drive-In

Is this the best idea ever?

iveseenvivstits.gif
You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
Darkblade_1 on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There are possibly worse ideas. Like corporate sponsored gang rape, or a gun that fires aborted foetuses. But not many.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    There are possibly worse ideas. Like corporate sponsored gang rape, or a gun that fires aborted foetuses. But not many.

How is that a bad idea? I'd totally buy one.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Yes, Jeffe. We know your hatred of fetuses is deep.

--

But seriously, eh. You're going to have to clean both sides of the glass pretty well so you don't lose a lot at that surface. I'm not talking windshield wiper + spray, either. You'd also most likely have to keep the car running, that much juice is going to slay your battery pretty quickly lifespan wise (and most likely single use wise, too).

Satan. on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Been done and there are videos on Youtube of people doing this all over in public areas

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Birth_machine.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Echo have you ever run into Giger, like at the supermarket?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sorry to shatter your dreams, but

Been done and there are videos on Youtube of people doing this all over in public areas

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Something to watch out for is the angle of your windsheild. Your mustang has a pretty shallow angle to it, which means that a lot of light is going to reflected down on to your dash, possibly dimming the final image. You could try angling the projector upwards so that it is more parallel to the angle of your windshield, then use the projector's controls to fix the now distorted image.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Something to watch out for is the angle of your windsheild. Your mustang has a pretty shallow angle to it, which means that a lot of light is going to reflected down on to your dash, possibly dimming the final image. You could try angling the projector upwards so that it is more parallel to the angle of your windshield, then use the projector's controls to fix the now distorted image.

This, too.

Most projectors (without looking, that one included) don't have horizontal keystone. This means that your image must be shot (as close to) parallel to your surface. When you angle the projector up, you'll notice the image starts to take on a V shape (similar to your standard overhead projectors). There should be a setting somewhere to adjust keystone, which allows you to correct the sides of the image to be perpendicular to the ground. The more keystone you use, however, the smaller the total area of image is going to be. However if you're in a car parked decently far enough away, you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    I did this in 2005 when I moved back in with my parents for a year. I had my 83 Lebaron convertible, and I just set the projector on the hood and had a screen in front of the garage door. It was pretty bitchin'

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png