Options

Unreal Tournament 3, Hiccups, 8800GT + Quad Core

FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
My new computer is insane. But I have one... very small issue.

I have a 24" monitor, and a 8800GT / 6600 QCore / 3GB RAM.

I am running Unreal Tournament 3 at 1920x1200, with everything cranked graphically to the maximum. Everything runs smooth as silk for a while (sometimes entire matches when there aren't a lot of bots), but sometimes it will PAUSE for about 2-3 seconds, then run smooth as silk again.

Doesn't seem to happen in other games. UT 2004 works great.

In UT 3, most times, I'm absolutely locked at 60fps, but you can get some dips to 47-55.

Am I running up against the limits of my system? Do I have a power issue? Do I have some other problem?

Is this how UT 3 behaves (great, then pause)? Or does UT3 scale like other games, where it's like a slide show when it needs more power, or is this pausing the behavior I can expect, and I just need to dial it back a setting or two?

FatmanGames on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is this in Vista?

edit: I had this problem and I think it was (bizarrely) something to do with my network card. Although I can't remember my exact fix (it was some combination of installing SP1, and using the XP drivers for the network card instead of the Vista drivers and a program called Vista Antilag)

Rook on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sudden Pauses/freezes is a known issue with UT3 in Vista.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Make sure under the UT3 options in game that Frame rate smoothing is enabled, that helps keep things consistent as well as v-sync. Make sure as well that UT3 is updated to it's most current patch and so is Vista and the 8800GT drivers. If it still happens, RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had this, exactly the same deal, exactly the same computer (basically :P) . Patch UT3 to version 1.2 and update to the latest beta Nforce drivers. Fixed me good n proper.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I used to get the exact same thing, then I installed Service Pack 1 for Vista, updated my firmware. Now I play Torlan with 31 bots and it doesn't skip a beat.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks - once I saw that I wasn't the only one, it was a relief..

FatmanGames on