As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (and the treatment thereof)

MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so here's the story.

For quite some time (I can't remember when it started) I've had some issues with my jaw. Until a few weeks ago, it was the occasional pop or crack, but nothing too frequent to worry about. Lately, though it's been locking up slightly and pops and cracks much during eating. I went to the on-campus physician here on campus and he referred me to any local "TMJ centers."

I'm sometimes of the hypochondriac persuasion, but this time, with the frequent cracks, and several locks that lasted a good while have brought me to believe I may be in for a checkup at one of these centers. My only problem is that cars are not allowed for freshman (to drive to one of these appointments,) so I may have to wait until summer, and scheduling them seems to be a bitch.

Can anyone give me some information as to what I can do in the meantime? Exercises, things to avoid, etc. would be really helpful. I play woodwind, so I'd like to take any precautions to an untimely retirement. Eating is also something that I think I would miss!

THE END.
Mertzy on

• Options
    Adhoc2008Adhoc2008 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, use the three finger rule first, open your mouth as wide as is comfortable, and see can 3 vertically stacked fingers fit in comfortably. If so, you have regular opening. Anything less is reduced opening.

That's the basis on which treatment would progress. Whether opening needs to be improved or not.

Do you get aching jaw muscles? Feel the muscle running down your lower jaw, and from TMJ to your temples, do they feel taut? Do you have a sore face/jaw in the morning? Do your teeth meet evenly when you bite together, when you chew food, etc.

As to treatment, it depends on the diagnosis and complications, you may have idiopathic tmj pain, stress associated, joint, muscle, occlusal, or you may grind/clench at night which exacerbates the problem. Obviously any treatment would need to address the specific cause(s).

Things to avoid are chewy foods, chewing gum/toffee/steak etc, patients often come to me saying these things help 'ease' their joint pain, and this is true, but long term they simply accelerate the damage. Avoid opening to distances that are uncomfortable ie. big macs :p.

If you want to attain a stronger joint, and larger/easier path of opening, then various prosthesis and excersises help, things like a splint, 'sticks', exercizes are as simple as opening/closing your mouth in front of a mirror, keeping the path of opening centered, and lateral/frontal excursions.

Doing any exercizes when you have moderate/severe pain is a no-no.

Adhoc2008 on