As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Falsely Accused at Work?

arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So ive' been working this pretty great job at a law firm--a part time position I got through a friend who is a partner at said firm--and things have been going pretty well for everyone involved.

Last week I fucked up my timeclock and ran up like 12 hours in a day or something ridiculous--and this morning I got called out on it. My bad. No arguments here. However during my session with the office manager to discuss my infraction--he mentioned that he revoked my weekend working priviliges--again pretty understandable and I am not about to argue with it--however then he goes on to demand my "office swipe card back"

This is that nifty little card that gets you into the building the firm is located in during the weekends.

However...I have never been given one at all.

I requested a swipe card once before a couple weeks ago for convenience--but I was denied pretty categorically by the same office manager. "Oh well you can just get the guards to let you in usually on the weekends"

I am a little paranoid about this accusation being a manafactured lynchpin in an attempt to get me fired--because I know very well that he is looking to hire 2 full time people to do what I am doing now as a part time employee.

I don't really know how to respond to this-- his word is a thousand times more credible than mine but I have scoured everywhere for this magical "Swipe card" and cannot remember ever having one.

glitteratsigcopy.jpg
arod_77 on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you have to sign for them or anything?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If it gives you access to the building on off hours, most places will have you sign for it, typically with either security or reception. Do you recall something like that? Usually happens during a security briefing or tour of the facility.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I never signed for a card.. Maybe I should ask him to check the release or something?

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maybe I'm missing something...what's the accusation? That you stole a card?

Scooter on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tell the office manager that you requested a card, but you were told you could have security let you in if you needed to come in on the weekend, so you never got one.

I don't see what the problem is...?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

Think of the card as being like a futuristic 'key' granting access to the office during hours when very few staff are around.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you were issued a card, there would be a record of the swipes you made each weekend you were working.

Get them to check the swipe logs (or whatever they call them) against "your" card number that they think you have. No swipes should show because... you know... you don't have a card.

onceling on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thats a good idea onceling. Should be reasonable.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah...

Just explain the situation exactly as it is.

What other options are there?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Think of the card as being like a futuristic 'key' granting access to the office during hours when very few staff are around.

I know what a card is.

I don't understand what the boss is accusing him of doing.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I know what a card is.

I don't understand what the boss is accusing him of doing.

As far as I understand:

arod requests key card. Manager denies him. A few weeks later, he gets into trouble. The manager says, "oh, and by the way, we'll be needing that key card back," but of course he doesn't have one because that same manager told him he couldn't have one.

Either the manager is trying to accuse him of stealing a card or he just has a ridiculously bad memory (or is faking to get arod fired).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And the next sentence would be "You never gave me a card." "Oh, didn't I? Ok then."

Or did arod immediatly flee back to his cubical to find evidence he never had a card?

Scooter on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Besides all this, if it's the same cards I'm familiar with (white rectangle with a small rectangular hole in one end for a lanyard, and a serial number on one corner ###-#####) they are rediculously easy to track (each use is logged), relatively cheap, and easy to cancel if lost.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I didn't flee back to my cubicle--but since I was in trouble at the time I didn't exactly press on with a profession of innocence either. I told him I would look--which was probably a bad idea in retrospect.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That was a terrible terrible terrible idea.

If he asked you for a card you never got and you knew that you never got one you should have said as much right on the spot.

Saying that you would look makes it sound like you did have one, and now it's just going to sound like you're an idiot and you're trying to cover up losing it when you go back and tell him you never got one.

What you need to do, and right away, is go back, and tell your manager that he denied you a key card. I don't know how you're going to explain away the fact that you were going to go look for one, but you need to be straight forward with the man. asap.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yea, now it's going to look like either even you can't remember whether or not you've been coming in on weekends with the card, or that you had the card at some point but lost it.

Probably best to tell him "by the way, I never actually got a card" soonest.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For once I agree with Captain Vash.

Do not let this once-in-a-lifetime moment exist in vain.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, you kinda shot yourself in the foot there. Try to clear it up before it spirals out of control.

chuck steak on