Options

Music discovery sites or tools; suggestions based on stuff I like

jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
I'm trying to find a good site or tool for discovering new music. Does anyone have anything they really like to use? Something where I can type in what I like, and it'll recommend other stuff for me.

My problem with most of the sites I've found is that it asks for one song or artist, and gives you similar stuff... but a person's musical tastes usually span several genres. It seems to me that there's got to be someone out there who has, like, 80% of the same artists that I do in my collection, and the other 20% would be stuff that I'd probably like, since they'd have the same range of interests. It would not be hard to create a system where all you did was type in a list of all the artists you like, and it would compare it with all other users' lists, and look for ones with very high similarities.

So, does anything like that exist? Or, what sources do you all use to discover new music?

dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
jmdbcool on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just keep friends with similar interests, they hit me up with stuff they like I have not listened to yet,

+

reading best of lists/reviews from publications I like - like pitchfork, NME, Spin, etc

+

researching on wikipedia - leading to finding new songs and music that has relations to stuff I already like - perhaps they produced someone's stuff or collaborated with them in some way, or share a label

at least those are the main ways I come into finding new music.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I sometimes use Pandora. Still a "punch in a single artist" method, but you can create "stations" based on that artist that will evolve based on a thumbs-up or thumbs-down rating on the songs played...so over time, it's based on your ratings on many different songs.

Still not good for genre-spanning, but I've found it to be a decent way to find new stuff.

Otherwise, all the suggestions above are good.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Live Plasma is another "punch in a single artist" search engine, but it's geared towards finding related artists as opposed to presenting them to you.

As far as I know, nothing like you described exist, and you have reached the point that I have where you are stuck shooting into the dark and hoping you randomly find something new you like. This is why I was sad that the local Borders Outlet closed down because for $3-$7 a cd I would buy random stuff all day long.

Best of luck in your hunt for new music that is low in sodium and 76% less suck.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    www.last.fm

When you have a profile, you can punch in a bunch of names, or you can do even better:

Install a plug-in to your favorite music player (WinAmp, iTunes, whatever) and it will send the name & songs that you play to your profile, keeping a record of it (not as creepy or privacy invading as it sounds) and calculate similar artists when it gets enough data.

It's really good for finding new music. It also gives you a calendar of when the bands you listen to are playing shows in your area, shows people who share similar music tastes and provides free streaming MP3s. It's also interesting just to see your own statistics - what you listend to the most this week, what song is the most played of all time, etc.

Lux on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have to vouch for last.fm as well. Have been using it for the past couple of years and have found plenty of good stuff, from listening to the neighbour's radio feature.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I use mostly the same methods as deuxfaux, and I've started listening to a lot of stuff purely from music threads on these forums. As for sites like pandora and last.fm, I usually find absolutely bugger all.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    deezer.com is really good. I haven't really used it the same way I use Pandora but I think it has that functionality somewhere. It does have a pretty big catalog you can listen to on demand.

xraydog on
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    www.last.fm

When you have a profile, you can punch in a bunch of names, or you can do even better:

Install a plug-in to your favorite music player (WinAmp, iTunes, whatever) and it will send the name & songs that you play to your profile, keeping a record of it (not as creepy or privacy invading as it sounds) and calculate similar artists when it gets enough data.

It's really good for finding new music. It also gives you a calendar of when the bands you listen to are playing shows in your area, shows people who share similar music tastes and provides free streaming MP3s. It's also interesting just to see your own statistics - what you listend to the most this week, what song is the most played of all time, etc.

Thanks, good thing I lurk these forums ;-)

Tharghor on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I use Rhapsody to find new stuff. The free version may not be perfect but it works quite well.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations; I'm going to give last.fm a shot. I also really like that it works with Winamp, because that's what I use for a music player anyway.

jmdbcool on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Last.FM app has stopped sending whatever music I'm playing. :( Otherwise, +1 to Last.FM and friends with good taste in music..

I'd try Pandora but alas, I reside in Australia.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's more genre-based than artist based, but I've had some decent luck with it: http://www.musicovery.com/

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have to plug for last.fm as well, I've found a lot of good stuff using it.

Besides installing the WinAmp plugin, its probably worthwhile to grab the Last.FM player, which allows you to listen to stations based on their tag. This is good if you find you're interested in Artist X from Genre Y, so you can listen to random songs from Genre Y and see if there are other artists that strike your fancy.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I use Pandora, and just create a station based on multiple artists.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Upon further inspection, it appears that last.fm has EXACTLY the feature I described: the neighborhood. Other people who listen to the same stuff that you listen to. There's no one in my neighborhood yet because I just started, but I'm expecting good things.

Combined with all it's other features, it looks like a really awesome site.

jmdbcool on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to have to chime in to suggest thesixtyone, a site at which I spend way too much time at when at work. It's kinda like music discovery + RPG experience points = user generated lists and leveling up. Kinda weird, but a lot of great music on it.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://www.finetune.com/ is really cool

this is a selection of classic rock that I made a long time ago - http://www.finetune.com/playlist/1272496

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I know it's Web 1.0 and all, but Amazon's recommendations have always worked really well for me. Nothing like seeing where people put their money.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I use www.jango.com myself, it's like pandora but you can punch in a large number of artists instead of just the one. I've not had a problem with it.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Once you use last.fm long enough, it even has a radio station that exclusively plays music that matches your profile but is not in your profile. It's pretty awesome. I think it's called "recommended radio" or something.

And pandora is great, because you can add multiple artists to a single station, making it genre-spanning.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly