As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Human Elements and Automobile Design

GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So today while at work I'm having a discussion about cars with co workers. The topic of Japanese automobiles comes along, and we start discussing the average size car in Japan compared to cars in America.

A few minutes go by, and I make a statement that totally opened a can of worms with one of my co workers.

I simply stated that "I would imagine that the fact that the average Japanese person is shorter than the average american, possibly has something to do with the design of Japanese automobiles."

One of my co workers being Asian, immediately took offense, started laughing and told me I was completely assinine for saying such a thing. I was then corrected and told that "Its because of road taxes and the fact that roads are small there". Being a subordinate to my co worker, I just shut my mouth and stopped the conversation since he took it way out of context and started telling me that I probably assume they all have a small penis as well. Whatever. Anyways...

I'm not argueing that road tax and small roads and gas prices arent reasons why cars are smaller, but I'm simply stating that the human element probably has a something to do with how cars are made.

What do you guys think?

Gahmrious on

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think the human size enters into it. If Japanese people wanted huge cars, they'd make huge cars with the driver seat designed for them to fit in. It wouldn't be a problem.

I didn't know that Japanese roads are narrower than North American roads. That would definitely be a major factor in car design. You have to design your cars to fit in the roads, after all. And fuel consumption is also a major issue. If fuel prices are higher, you want a car that consumes less. Physics dictates that that will be a smaller, lighter car.

But the human driver's size? That would influence the size of the driver's seat and the layout of the dashboard, and that's about it IMO.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, you made a pretty silly assumption. While you might have a few inches difference on average, there is no single 'Japanese size.' You know how automobile seats are adjustable? That's because just like in America, there are short people, and there are tall people, and they all like to be able to get into their cars and drive them around. The tendency for cars in Japan to be remarkably smaller than the US has a lot to do with the size of the country, rather than the people. House lots tend to be smaller, and occupying buildings tend to fill them nearly boundary to boundary. How much potential space out of your house are you willing to sacrifice for parking (part of purchasing and registering a car is submitting proof that you have legitimate parking for it)? While there are plenty of station wagons, and small minivans around, you very rarely see anything like SUVs.

Roads also do tend to be smaller, and have little, or no shoulder (essentially, it's a country of 130 million people occupying a space the size of California, where 60% of that is undevelopable mountain). Coupled with the fact that concentrated population means you don't need to drive that far (relatively speaking) to get to school, the store, or work means that light cars with small engines are highly practical.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    I don't think the human size enters into it. If Japanese people wanted huge cars, they'd make huge cars with the driver seat designed for them to fit in. It wouldn't be a problem.

20715202_f2f84ce1e1_o.jpg

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Gahmrious wrote: »
    So today while at work I'm having a discussion about cars with co workers. The topic of Japanese automobiles comes along, and we start discussing the average size car in Japan compared to cars in America.

A few minutes go by, and I make a statement that totally opened a can of worms with one of my co workers.

I simply stated that "I would imagine that the fact that the average Japanese person is shorter than the average american, possibly has something to do with the design of Japanese automobiles."

One of my co workers being Asian, immediately took offense, started laughing and told me I was completely assinine for saying such a thing. I was then corrected and told that "Its because of road taxes and the fact that roads are small there". Being a subordinate to my co worker, I just shut my mouth and stopped the conversation since he took it way out of context and started telling me that I probably assume they all have a small penis as well. Whatever. Anyways...

I'm not argueing that road tax and small roads and gas prices arent reasons why cars are smaller, but I'm simply stating that the human element probably has a something to do with how cars are made.

What do you guys think?

You could easily build a car the size of the Miata that could acommodate a 6' tall driver. Yet the first two generations of Miata can't comfortably accomodate a driver taller than like 5'9"-ish. Your superior is an ass.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It could be that they just don't need as much space in order to feel comfortable.

GungHo on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is a well known fact that Japanese people are smaller, on average, than Americans.

That does not mean that fact is the reason for the cars being smaller.

Cars in Europe are generally smaller than our big honking gas guzzlers, too. But Europeans are not smaller than us on average, to my knowledge.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    It could be that they just don't need as much space in order to feel comfortable.

Being only 5'8" I do find that I need much less space than my 6' tall acquaintances to be able to comfortably reach all the controls and see all the mirrors in a car, yes.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    It is a well known fact that Japanese people are smaller, on average, than Americans.

Cars in Europe are generally smaller than our big honking gas guzzlers, too. But Europeans are not smaller than us on average, to my knowledge.
    You could easily build a car the size of the Miata that could acommodate a 6' tall driver. Yet the first two generations of Miata can't comfortably accomodate a driver taller than like 5'9"-ish.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

You could easily build a car the size of the Miata that could acommodate a 6' tall driver. Yet the first two generations of Miata can't comfortably accomodate a driver taller than like 5'9"-ish.

And your reason for repeating this is...?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That the expected size of the driver isn't terribly relevant to the overall size of the car, but that that doesn't demonstrate that cars aren't (or rather weren't, things like moving pedals and telescoping wheels are becoming more prominent) frequently designed to cater to drivers within a particular height-range. Setting the seat right to be able to drive the Camaro I had for many years was a pain and looked ridiculous.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That the expected size of the driver isn't terribly relevant to the overall size of the car, but that that doesn't demonstrate that cars aren't (or rather weren't, things like moving pedals and telescoping wheels are becoming more prominent) frequently designed to cater to drivers within a particular height-range.

So we're not in disagreement.

All I was talking about was the overall size of the car.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That the expected size of the driver isn't terribly relevant to the overall size of the car, but that that doesn't demonstrate that cars aren't (or rather weren't, things like moving pedals and telescoping wheels are becoming more prominent) frequently designed to cater to drivers within a particular height-range.

So we're not in disagreement.

All I was talking about was the overall size of the car.

Okay.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Being only 5'8" I do find that I need much less space than my 6' tall acquaintances to be able to comfortably reach all the controls and see all the mirrors in a car, yes.
    I'm not talking about necessary ergonomic space required to operate the vehicle, I'm talking about "not feeling closed in" space.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm not talking about necessary ergonomic space required to operate the vehicle, I'm talking about "not feeling closed in" space.

There is also a reason I'm always the one who gets dumped into the back-seat in a full car. Well, me and girls anyway.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    I would also think that the size of a nation's people has less to do with their car designs now than it might have, say, 30 years ago, due to the global nature of the auto market. Those Priuses don't just go to Japan, they go to every developed nation on the planet to be driven by people of every race, size, shape, and proportion.

If I were a car manufacturer, I'd make sure my cars were easily adaptable to people of all sizes. With the case of the Miata, I know that those cars have often been marketed towards women, and so it's possible the small size was meant with that in mind rather than being just a design flaw. (Since women aren't just small in Japan.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's good to see what people have to say, rather than being shot down and called assinine.

<3

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If I were a car manufacturer, I'd make sure my cars were easily adaptable to people of all sizes. With the case of the Miata, I know that those cars have often been marketed towards women, and so it's possible the small size was meant with that in mind rather than being just a design flaw. (Since women aren't just small in Japan.)

Actually it was marketed to the people who wanted an Alfa Romeo Spyder without having to suck their mechanic off three times a week to keep it running. Note that the new model MX-5 accommodates tall drivers comfortably, that was a major hindrance to sales on previous generations and so they corrected it.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My guess would be that the difference is cultural. North Americans are used to big houses, big yards, and big stretches of open road. Japanese and Europeans in general are used to smaller houses and apartment, crowded public transportation, etc.

Personally I like my car to feel like a cockpit instead of the 60s bench seat, but seeing how popular SUVs have become, I'd assume I'm in the minority.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008

Actually it was marketed to the people who wanted an Alfa Romeo Spyder without having to suck their mechanic off three times a week to keep it running. Note that the new model MX-5 accommodates tall drivers comfortably, that was a major hindrance to sales on previous generations and so they corrected it.

In that case, their design team was retarded and hopefully were forced to commit seppuku. What kind of fuckwit designs a car to not seat anyone taller than 5'9"? Did they just not realize that average-sized males from different countries might not want to have to shoe-horn into their auto?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

In that case, their design team was retarded and hopefully were forced to commit seppuku. What kind of fuckwit designs a car to not seat anyone taller than 5'9"? Did they just not realize that average-sized males from different countries might not want to have to shoe-horn into their auto?

What kind of fuckwit designs a car to not seat anyone shorter than 5'10"?
    GM

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    perhaps pointless miata data point: I'm a 6 footer and I had no problems with the mx-5 ('04). Seat was always at the very backs of the rails though, and perhaps if I was 50 lbs heavier it would've been uncomfortable. It's unfortunate that it's considered a "girly" car, it's a fantastic driving machine.

I think the road size consideration is key. Didn't the U.S. highway system get massively upgraded by Eisenhower, who had his eye to logistics (e.g. military mobilization and containers)?

Djeet on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ironically, my Chevy Cavalier and Ford Focus were smaller than my Prius as far as leg / head room. I'm also 6'5, so I might be an outlier in their design considerations.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Miata Anecdote! from about '99 to '04 my dad a, 6 foot 1 230 pound guy had a Miata. He fit in. Being inside was a lot easier than getting inside, but once he learned the appropriate lean and duck maneuver he was fine. People were always amazed to see us both unfold out of it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

GM

Which is probably part of why they're losing out to Toyota.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »

GM

Which is probably part of why they're losing out to Toyota.

That and have a look at what they spend every year on retirement benefits. GM's almost more of a healthcare-company than an automaker anymore.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If their healthcare is as shitty as their cars, then those people need to run like hell.

GungHo on