Options

Stuck in San Francisco for seven hours.

3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I know we've got some bay natives on the boards, so i'll take a crap shoot. Thursday, I get into the San Francisco around 3 P.M., and my flight back to Baltimore isn't till 10:00 PM. So I've got some time to burn, and i've never even set foot in California before.

Is there anything around the airport that's doable other than drinking? Sites to go see, or intresting/fun things about?

Another crap shoot - SFO got free wifi? ;)

Much obliged everyone.

3lwap0 on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SFO is a few miles out of the city, but the subway (BART) can take you back and forth pretty quickly.

Wifi at SFO is supplied by T-Mobile; $10 for a day pass.

So I assume you'll probably want to be back at SFO by 8 or 9. It isn't a terribly crowded airport, getting through checkpoints for domestic flights usually takes under an hour, but it might be longer right now if they're still trying to sort out the backlog from the Denver blizzard. Since you only have a few hours on a weekday afternoon, I'd just do something touristy and then grab dinner. The Sony Metreon is an easy way to burn a couple of hours; especially if you have some money to go shopping for gadgets or games. If you want to indulge your inner science nerd, the Exploratorium is a lot of fun. MOMA is good if you like art. The California Academy of Sciences is another science museum, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd do the Exploratorium instead.

What kind of food do you like?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Actually buddy, even with 7 hours... you may not want to risk going into the city.

SFO is actually a very good, very organized airport and not too crowded, by Bay Area standards. There's good food (look for the Armani or Italian cafe's, their panninis are great and really authentic) and maagzines and shit at the airport. No free Wifi, but you can try to get into one of the private lounges if you have an American Express card.

However, I FULLY encourage you to go into the city if you want to risk it. Take BART, it's only about 20 minutes. Get off on Montgomery or Powell Street station, walk around a little. All you need to know is to get back to Market Street, which has all the BART stations to get you back to the Airport. Take a look around, try to avoid any touristy shit (Pier 39, fuck that place).

I live in Fremont, which is about 30 minutes away, so I can't help you there. But trust me, you'll enjoy just wandering.

If you like chinese food, try heading to Chinatown (although the best chinese places aren't in chinatown) and getting some Dim Sum as a snack. You can also visit the Metreon, or SFMOMA (south of market, beautiful area, blend of new and old at Yuerba Buena Gardens) and check that out. Maybe even see a movie.

Make sure you leave enough time to get back to the airport. If BART gets shut down (not out of the question) go to the big hotel off Market (pick one) and act like you are staying there. The doorman will flag a taxi for you, and you'll be taken back to SFO. Tip the doormen, they're awesome.

Enjoy California!

powerss on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    SFO is a few miles out of the city, but the subway (BART) can take you back and forth pretty quickly.

Wifi at SFO is supplied by T-Mobile; $10 for a day pass.

So I assume you'll probably want to be back at SFO by 8 or 9. It isn't a terribly crowded airport, getting through checkpoints for domestic flights usually takes under an hour, but it might be longer right now if they're still trying to sort out the backlog from the Denver blizzard. Since you only have a few hours on a weekday afternoon, I'd just do something touristy and then grab dinner. The Sony Metreon is an easy way to burn a couple of hours; especially if you have some money to go shopping for gadgets or games. If you want to indulge your inner science nerd, the Exploratorium is a lot of fun. MOMA is good if you like art. The California Academy of Sciences is another science museum, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd do the Exploratorium instead.

What kind of food do you like?

The California Academy of Sciences is in a temporary building, and is lame right now until their new, amazing facility is built. So avoid that. Exploratorium is awesome, but will require a cab ride under your time constraints.

Also, if you can make it, North Beach (italian section, past Chinatown) has the best food in the city. If you can stomach the cash, Mooses is absolutely amazing. So is Calzones, which looks touristy, but is genuinely delicious. I live in the Bay Area and I still go to Calzones! :-)

powerss on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Awesome ideas everyone, thanks. :)

Feral - As long as it ain't too spicy, I love any kind of food. :)

3lwap0 on