Options

[IC] WHFRPG: The Masquerade of Horrors

Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
The scenario opens in the small riverside town of Nachstreik, in a small dock-side inn and tavern called Oliver's-at-the-Docks. It is run by a fat innkeeper whose name isn't Oliver; his name is Albricht.

Opportunities and Antiquities Inc. has had a boring time traveling down the river - the three members Otto, Alda, and Berthold are enjoying a decent brew of morning ale in the common room, a dwarf delicacy. It's just before sun-up and the room is quietly filling with the stink of Albricht's terrible fried pancakes and unwashed patrons.

After the breakfast of morning ale (and terrible pancakes if so inclined), it's time to set off down the river. The captain of the boat Happy Traveler isn't in the common room yet.
There are a few people in the common room, including Albricht the innkeeper. Also note that you can't leave without captain Sigmund (unless you want to steal his boat)

Super Namicchi on

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Otto yawned painfully, scratching himself. His head ached, and he felt like he'd been kicked in the gut by an Ogre. What the hell had he and Berthold been drinking? Well, at least this establishment was kind enough to serve morning ale. Hair o' the dog and all that.

"Ugh... I feel like I've been kicked in the gut by an Ogre," he said, his internal monologue emerging through the haze of burning pancakes. Oof... pancakes. Not sure he was ready for those. He spit a bit of phlegm onto the floor through the hole where his front teeth used to be.

"Are you eating those... <burp>... oh, by the Emperor's cunt-hairs, those pancakes smell awful, Bert! And I'm bored as hell! Where did Sigmund get hisself off to? Thinks he's so damn handsome he's probably still preening his moustaches in front of the glass. If I knew how to run a riverboat we'd be on our way already!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "You're right, the pancakes smell terrible and don't taste any better. But I'd rather taste shitty 'cakes then what was there before. I don't know why I let you talk me into drinking... whatever we drank last night, I woke up and thought I'd died."

Berthold stopped talking to swig a gulp of ale. "And if you tried to run a riverboat, it'd end up at the bottom of a river before the day was out. But, I agree, where the hell is Sigmund. Someone needs to kick his ass and tell him that 'be ready at sunup' doesn't mean 'be ready whenever the hell you please."

"After all, we're paying his bastard ass to haul us downriver!" After this outburst Berthold stops and groans. Shouting is not a good idea when one's head feels as though a porcupine has taken up residence within.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alda gives a disapproving stare at her companions. "I knew this was going to happen. Every time we pull into port you guys go off, get yourselves rip-roaring drunk and then here I am having to hear you suffer through the nights transgressions."

Wagging a finger at Berthold she continues. "Especially YOU! you know following Otto's lead always gets you into trouble and yet there you are, again and again, right by his side! I swear you never learn!"

She grudgingly swallows down a mouthful of pancakes "One things for sure, these have GOT to be the WORST pancakes I've ever had, almost as bad as that time Otto thought he could turn dog meat into steak. Let us pray we never get that desperate for food again."

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Hey, that was good dog!" protested Otto, "I'll have you know that I've had a lot of dog in my day and that was better than most. And better for you than chicken, I might add!"

The pit fighter pulled another swig of morning ale through the gap in his teeth. Arguments were good... got the blood moving. Luckily, with the two of them, there was always a disagreement to be had about something or other. Made for good business, that.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The sound of boots on wood came from the stairs as the portly captain of the Happy Traveler entered the common room of Oliver's.

Sigmund gave a hearty laugh as he crossed the room. "Mornin' boys," he said, slapping everyone on the back. "And madam," he added as he kissed Alda's hand. His mustaches were perfectly styled and the bristles tickled.

"How's the ale in this place? Better than that swill Otto tried to brew in the washpot back on the Traveler I hope!"

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "What is wrong with you people? That was some right decent Grog... maybe if Bert had cleaned the pot a bit better first it wouldn't have tasted so funny."

"Otto... hadn't you cooked that dog in the washpot the night before you started brewing that grog?"

"Entirely beside the point, Bert! Don't blame the dog for your shoddy pot-washing!"

Otto grumbled, swigged down the last of his ale and attempted to steer the subject back to the task at hand.

"So when are we leaving this stinking pancake house, Sigmund?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sigmund gave a big laugh, his belly jiggling. "You've hired me, m'boys! Your wish, my command and all that (long as I get paid). But first I'd like some breakfast m'self!"

"But - "

"Wouldn't want me to steer the boat into the bank due to hunger, eh? Right then! Order up some of those flapjacks, they smell delicious!"

Sigmund sat down and the chair creaked in protest. Soon a plate of steaming gray pancakes was in front of him, and he began shoveling them down.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Ugh, I can't stand to watch you eat... I'm going to get another ale."

Otto got up from his seat, his trappings janglig against each other as his bulky frame unapologetically hed through patrons until he'd made his way to the bar. He signaled the barkeep.

"I'll have another one of these if you don't mind."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Alda rolled her eyes, "Decent? I think we all can agree that had that dog still been alive IT wouldn't have drank that concoction."

"I can't believe you can eat those pancakes with such fervor. I'll just sit here and nurse my ale, as it's really the only palatable thing here." With that she takes a long pull on her mug, savoring the full flavor.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Berthold chuckles, "You know what your problem is, Alda? You're too picky. Sure that was the worst dog I've ever had the misfortune to eat and sure, Otto could burn water if he put his mind to it. But that's no reason to berate him for it." He smiles, "For that matter, any grog that gets you drunk is good grog in my book."

"Seriously Sigmund, how can you call those delicious? I ate a few and they're almost as bad as some of Otto's experiments. Just finish eating and let's get going."

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Hah, you're clearly lacking in discerning taste, Bert my boy!" Sigmund gave a big belch and wiped his mustache with a bit of the tattered table cloth before standing up. You could swear you heard the chair breathe a sigh of relief. The floorboards had been tasked now with the job of bearing Sigmund's girth.

The big captain laughed. "Well, m'boys? Shall we hit the river?"

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The adventurers looked all very happy to get out of Oliver's. It was a short forty-five minutes before they were out on the river Reik once again, sailing southward in search of adventure.

--

It is mid-morning and the Happy Traveler has made decent progress. Sigmund leans over from the wheel, squinting down river. He points.

"Eh, boys? D'you see that?"

"What is it?"

"I dunno."

The Happy Traveler sails closer, and soon the party can make out a boat. Even closer, and they realize it is listing heavily to one side and slowly sinking. Not an uncommon sight on the waterways of the Empire, but regrettable nonetheless.
    Make a perception check. It's int-based. Those trained in it make it at their full score, untrained make it at half.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Sigmund, pull us up alongside that boat! Looks promising!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "It's a ship, what's so promising about it? I hate shi... URRGGHH. Oh god, and here I thought those pancakes couldn't taste any worse." Berthold was not in the best of moods. Possibly because the combination of last night's activities and the morning ale with pancakes was sending his insides into full rebellion.

"Ugh, huh. Ok, I think that's the last of it. I feel better now. Now what did you see?"

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "My two favorite things, Bert. Dead people and gold."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Alda leans over the railing for a better view. "Quite, too bad they can't properly use said gold to enjoy themselves. I guess we, being the kindhearted people we are, will have to do it on their behalf."

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sigmund laughed. He liked these boys.

Pretty soon the boat was alongside the wreckage, and the heroes could make out the words Divine Retribution on the hull.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Berthold is looking and feeling much better, "Exactly Alda, after all. waste not, want not. Ok Otto, time to do what you do best. If it moves, hit it till it don't."

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Otto unsheathed his zweihander, jumping onto the boat as best he could with his short legs and bulky frame.

"Let's make it quick, we don't want this scow to sink with gold aboard it!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Alda grabbed the crossbow hanging at her side and loaded it. Hoping onto the ship just behind Otto she gives him a clap on the shoulder. "You Lead."

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The first thing the group notices, aside from what they’ve already seen from afar, is more evidence of a pitched battle having taken place here. A few severed limbs lie here and there about the deck in the drying pools of blood. Several crates and casks have been broken open, their contents carelessly strewn about. One of the corpses is wearing (bloody) raiments befitting an initiate of Sigmar.

However, what draws your attention after a cursory examination is the sound of someone moaning from inside the deck house.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Tightening his grip on the sword, Otto lumbered in the direction of the sound... upon finding that it emanated from the sinking ship's deckhouse, he decided to knock on the door.

Knock on it as hard as he could with a hobnailed boot, of course.

Had the door actually been locked (or even latched), he might not have ended up with his face hitting the floorboards. He'd lost his front teeth in a similar incident. Picking himself up amidst a slew of loud cursing, he looked about the room, vision slowly coming back into focus.
    strength! (1d100=96)

HAHAHAHAHA

consulted with arc via aim on this

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Upon entering (and recovering himself), Otto sees pieces of another initiate scattered about amongst a mess of items. Broken vases, pots, and toppled shelves mix with torn apart limbs. Several crates lie smashed open and empty, their contents scattered just as on the deck.

From a further, curtained doorway - most likely the captain’s quarters - the moans continue.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Otto spat on the blood slicked floor in disgust.

"Alda, get in here and check if there's any good loot left to be had. I'm going to see what's left of their unfortunate captain."

The pit-fighter slid the curtain to one side with his blade, looking into the room.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pushing aside the curtain, Otto sees a small room that looks as if a storm struck it. A big man in black lies writhing in a pool of his own blood on the floor. His left arm hangs limply; his right clutches a massive warhammer. Through his long black overcoat, Otto can see his chain shirt is badly gashed. Around his neck is a silver holy symbol bearing Sigmar Heldenhammer's crest.

"Oi, Alda, Bert, we've got a mover!"

As the pit fighter calls to his companions, the man in black tries to stand, a weird light in his eyes.

He screams, "WHAT!? More vultures come to pick my bones! I tell you, by the Hammer, you shall never find it!"
    Kay guys roll initiative. It's d10 + your agility.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "By the Heldenhammer, I'm taking you vultures with me to Hell!"

With unnatural speed, the man in black replaces his warhammer at his hip and draws his guns. He trains them both on Otto. Two loud shots ring, piercing the morning silence. The acrid stink of spent gunpowder fills the air as Otto gasps at the two blossoming red patches on his armor where the bullets penetrated.

The man tosses his pistols to the side.
    Gunnar shoots Otto (1d100=31)

Gunnar shoots Otto (1d100=16)

Gunnar shoots Otto (1d10+4=6, 1d10+4=11)

Ouch, Otto takes two bullets for the team. He has medium armor and a toughness bonus of two, meaning he drops the first shot down to 2 damage and the second one down to 7, meaning he loses 9 wounds total.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Otto (nearly blinded by pain) screams in uncontrollable fury, his wild swings easily ducked by the witch-hunter.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Time seems to slow for Alda as she sees the big man unload into Otto's chest. Adrenaline taking over, she fires her crossbow from the hip, but it seems she should have taken a moment to line up her target.

Throwing her crossbow down in disgust she unsheathes her cutlass and prepares to mix it up toe-to-toe.

1d100 → [93] = (93)

use a fortune point for a re-roll. 1d100 → [74] = (74)

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Duck Otto!"

Berthold is momentarily taken aback as the situation descends into bedlam. But regaining some measure of composure, he mumbles some words of power and a jet of energy flies from his outstretched hand, striking the madman.
    Channeling Willpower roll: 1d100=70. Failed.

Casting Magic Dart: 1d10=9. Success.

Dart Damage: 1d10+3=6 = 1 dead witch hunter.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Gunnar, Witch Hunter of holy Sigmar, with the grievous wounds already on his body, is not match for the wizard's arcane prowess. The blue bolt of energy splashes into his chest and his maddened blue eyes roll back into his head before he slinks to his knees, warhammer falling from his grip.

He falls, hitting the deck with a thump, which is the period ending the short sentence that was the combat; the sound of the river Reik outside the deckhouse is the only thing that pierces the silence.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ...a silence shortly ended by Otto.

"AAAAAAAGH! That son of a bitch shot me! Can you believe it? UGH that hurts!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "I believe it, saw him do it. . . although what a witch hunter was doing on this tub bears some looking into. . . A badly injured witch hunter, no less."

Berthold looks around the cabin, perhaps expecting another assailant to jump from the shadows, "Maybe we should be a little more cautious in the future, just in case."

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Cautious?" said Otto, indignantly while spitting out some blood, "Yes, I suppose I ought to be because this sort of thing happens all the time DAMNIT BERT I JUST GOT SHOT BY A WITCH HUNTER! WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE!"

Otto struggled to get to his feet on the blood-slick deck, which was now lubricated with some of his own.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Alda quickly stowed her sword and rushed over to Otto. Clamping her hand across his mouth she pulls him closer and says in a harsh whisper.
    "Shut. the. Hell. UP! We just killed a witch hunter, regardless of what happens if people know what we did today that's it, we'd be done for."

Then in a normal tone. "Now are you calm enough for me to remove my hand?" After a terse nod she repeats herself "Now don't start screaming again when i let go." She slowly removes her hand, waiting for the inevitable screaming.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png