As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a 4-5 player war game that isn't Risk

rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
Me and my friends are looking for a 4-5 player war game that isn't Risk. Risk relies to heavly on the random outcome of die rolls for the battles, and we're tired of having our 20 unit armies destroyed by a 5 unit army.

I'm looking at Struggle of Empires or Axis and Allies. I was thinking of StarCraft or Twilight Imperium, but the cost scares me and TI seems complicated and long (we really just want a game where you build units and go bonk some heads). What do you guys think?

rayofash on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Diplomacy?

I mean there is no random element to diplomacy after the first round.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Diplomacy?

I mean there is no random element to diplomacy after the first round.

I was thinking about it, but the game can take a while and in the end you may not have any friends left to play with. We usually play PHPDiplomacy anyways.

rayofash on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You could try A Game of Thrones. It really shines when you add in the expansions, especially A Storm of Swords. Bonus if you're familiar with the books.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    You could try A Game of Thrones. It really shines when you add in the expansions, especially A Storm of Swords. Bonus if you're familiar with the books.

I've heard some very bad things about this, and yet I've also heard some very good things.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/115572
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/289807

What's your opinion on it?

rayofash on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I highly recommend Axis and Allies. It's usually the standard gateway wargame from Risk up to the more hardcore stuff. It's easy to understand, and there are a lot more decisions to be made than there are in Risk. The value of territory varies, and different units have different strengths and weaknesses. There's not much diplomacy involved, though, which might be a big part of your Risk sessions. Luck can be a factor, too, but it's not so chaotic as in Risk due to the differing capabilities of units.

I wouldn't recommend Twilight Imperium unless you're also getting the expansion. I don't know what it is about the game, I just can't get excited about it. The expansion spices things up a bit, but it still sort of drags on. I don't know what it is; it's a good game, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I haven't played Struggle of Empires or Starcraft, so I can't be any help there.

As far as other suggestions go, Game of Thrones can be pretty good. It's sort of like Diplomacy, but with a little more chance. It uses cards to determine what special events are going on, and these can disrupt a well-laid plan, which seems to piss off some people. That article you linked that treats it negatively doesn't say anything untrue, but the author clearly went into it expecting a different type of game. Battles are won by proper planning, not generalship. I think it's a blast, though. The setting doesn't hurt, either.

I'll also recommend War of the Ring, which scales up to four, I think. It's pretty fun, but battles can become a bit of a dicefest. It doesn't really bother me, because there are all manner of special cards and abilities to affect things, but I know some people dislike it for that.

So what I'm trying to say is I think you'd like Axis and Allies. It's a big step up from Risk, while still being the same type of game (build units/bonk heads).

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Awesome, Axis and Allies it is. I'll check out GoT and War of the Ring when I get some extra cash.

rayofash on