As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intel price cuts; for those who wait.

ShortassShortass Registered User regular
Apparently according to Digitimes Intel price cuts are on the way for both the dual and quad lines, and some slight product repositioning.

Quad Cores
Q9650 will be $530
Q9550 will be $316 (8.5 multi).
Q9450 will be phased out and replaced with Q9400 at $266 (6mb cache instead of 12)
Q9300 and Q6700 will phased out
Q6600 will be $203

Dual Cores
E8300 will be phased out
E8600 will launch priced at $266
E8500 will be $183
E8400 will be $163
E7300 will launch priced at $133
E7200 will be $113

Stolen from Quicksilver on the Anandtech forums, but figured an update would be nice here too. It sucks to wait for Q3, but hopefully it ends up being early July. Upgrading for AoC, a slick new Quad and the new video cards would be a great way to do it.

I'm probably lying.
Shortass on

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The only proc in that list that I would think about getting would be the e8600. That's only because of the multi. Even then I would rather save my money while squeezing some more out of my e6750. My bank account will be crying with the Nehalems at the end of this year and the gtx260/280 next month. That will be a whole new GFX card, mobo, ram, etc.

Good thing I will have a couple systems to sell though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mmh, the 8600 should be okay but honestly the 8400 can already manage ridiculous clocks.. not sure it's worth the extra cash. I'm personally looking at the 9550, the 8.5 multi should get the quad to 3.6 easily and will turn F@H into a smoldering pile of awesome.

Early Nehalem will be ridiculously overpriced as they will debut with the extreme chips; unless you can afford a $1000 cpu, it's seriously doubtful that the mainstream Nehalem chips will be out before Q2 2009 at any reasonable price. Still, if rumors are true they will be monstrous...

Shortass on
    I'm probably lying.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shortass wrote: »
    Mmh, the 8600 should be okay but honestly the 8400 can already manage ridiculous clocks.. not sure it's worth the extra cash. I'm personally looking at the 9550, the 8.5 multi should get the quad to 3.6 easily and will turn F@H into a smoldering pile of awesome.

Early Nehalem will be ridiculously overpriced as they will debut with the extreme chips; unless you can afford a $1000 cpu, it's seriously doubtful that the mainstream Nehalem chips will be out before Q2 2009 at any reasonable price. Still, if rumors are true they will be monstrous...

I've heard there will be serious issues with OC'ing nehalem chips. But that might be adjusted by motherboard manufacturers. Nehalem from all the rumors I've heard should rock pretty hard. I'm very pleased enough with my E8400 currently though. Its a sweet chip. It should last a while.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think the whole no overclocking thng with the Nehalems is with just one socket type. Intel is supposed to use a different socket type for their extreme line. The other mid range one is supposed to have the ability to overclock cut out.

If the Nehalems live up to expectations there probably won't be a use in OCing anymore. Unless you want a bigger epeen.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I think the whole no overclocking thng with the Nehalems is with just one socket type. Intel is supposed to use a different socket type for their extreme line. The other mid range one is supposed to have the ability to overclock cut out.

If the Nehalems live up to expectations there probably won't be a use in OCing anymore. Unless you want a bigger epeen.

Do you have links to the different socket type? I *HATE* different socket types on systems. Especially when its some bullshit reason like "special extreme overclocking"

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Do you have links to the different socket type? I *HATE* different socket types on systems. Especially when its some bullshit reason like "special extreme overclocking"

I'm not sure if there is any official documentation concerning the different socket types, but it's looking like Intel is trying to force 'enthusiasts' to pay a premium for an overclockable platform. Whether it will be worth the additional cost or not is to be determined, but it's looking pretty painful at the moment. Gone might be the days of picking up ludicrously cheap processors and overclocking them higher than extreme chips, but I suppose we'll find out more about it in a year or so.

Shortass on
    I'm probably lying.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm not sure if there is any official documentation concerning the different socket types, but it's looking like Intel is trying to force 'enthusiasts' to pay a premium for an overclockable platform. Whether it will be worth the additional cost or not is to be determined, but it's looking pretty painful at the moment. Gone might be the days of picking up ludicrously cheap processors and overclocking them higher than extreme chips, but I suppose we'll find out more about it in a year or so.

AMD might use that as an opening. Fuck knows they need it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, from what I dug up- it seems they have some new chips that will have something like ~1300 pin counts. Its at the "neither confirmed nor denied" status. Actually I also read they might go to a lesser pincount(775 to 705) too because FSB wasn't going to be a factor anymore with the memory controller being on the chip.

I'm not sure oc'ing will even matter with the nehalem as others have stated. It sounded like you had to take voltage points off the motherboard, actually calculate Vdroop and learn to adjust a metric ton of new settings to OC.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7255&Itemid=35

Ya, that PLL correcting function will be hard to work around. Again it might not matter at all. 8 cores and 16 threads on some of the nehalem chips.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

I think the issue is here that OC'ing might be pointless at 8 cores. What is any reasonable average user going to do with 8 cores?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

I think the issue is here that OC'ing might be pointless at 8 cores. What is any reasonable average user going to do with 8 cores?

Well, it's not like you can overclock yourself some more cores. You could buy a slower 8-core chip and clock it up to the speeds that an equivalently-priced 4-core chip gets.

People are going to start using more and more cores for programs; we're approaching the limits in speed that we can get a single core at. (The fact that modern x86 processors need to carry around legacy baggage to stay compatable with code from the early eighties isn't helping, of course).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    A lot of people who overclock do it for benchmarks and the like. It's more or less a hobby like suping up cars. Most I think buy low to mid range chips and OC them to reach the performance or best the higher end chips. I am not sure, but I believe not all chips will have the integrated memory controller. I need to go over the wiki page again to check.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All the Nehalem chips worth buying will have the IMC, anyway.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    A lot of people who overclock do it for benchmarks and the like. It's more or less a hobby like suping up cars. Most I think buy low to mid range chips and OC them to reach the performance or best the higher end chips. I am not sure, but I believe not all chips will have the integrated memory controller. I need to go over the wiki page again to check.

Well, as I understood it- They all are moving over. It it has a new socket, there won't be a memory controller on the motherboard anymore. Getting rid of the northbridge chipset should prove quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29

This will be crazy fast.

"Due to its early release and market segment, Intel stated at IDF that only the high-end Bloomfields may have an integrated memory controller, leaving the "lower" end ones without it;[11] however, other sources have said that all Nehalem variants will have an integrated memory controller."

That might be utter garbage if some motherboards do and some don't. It might be a case that some of the lower end chips will have "lesser" memory controller.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Well, as I understood it- They all are moving over. It it has a new socket, there won't be a memory controller on the motherboard anymore. Getting rid of the northbridge chipset should prove quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29

This will be crazy fast.

"Due to its early release and market segment, Intel stated at IDF that only the high-end Bloomfields may have an integrated memory controller, leaving the "lower" end ones without it;[11] however, other sources have said that all Nehalem variants will have an integrated memory controller."

That might be utter garbage if some motherboards do and some don't. It might be a case that some of the lower end chips will have "lesser" memory controller.

I don't see why they would omit the memory controller from certain parts. I can't think of any practical reason to do so, and it isn't like integrated memory controllers are new ground that might justify leaving them out of lower end processors. AMD has been using them since 2003 (when the Athlon 64 was introduced).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru