As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overkill Bonus

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
I got this once so far in my 2 hour playthrough.

What is it and how did I trigger it?

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• Options
    ZhirzzhZhirzzh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You have to do much more damage than is needed to kill something. A special attack on a weak enemy will do it.

Zhirzzh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Use a full powered special attack to kill an enemy.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

Use a full powered special attack to kill an enemy.
    This.
    Doesn't matter how much damage you do or how much health they have left, it just has to be a full-power special attack that results in a kill.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And what is this supposed to do? I never understood it in my first playthrough and I still don't.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kill an enemy with a full special attack.

At the end of the fight, you will get a bonus point of damage for every overkill. This is permanent to your character, and is limited by the number of overkill slots they have.

devoir on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Kill an enemy with a full special attack.

At the end of the fight, you will get a bonus point of damage for every overkill. This is permanent to your character, and is limited by the number of overkill slots they have.

And each character has as many overkill bonus slots as their weapon's upgrades

So starting off you have 5 slots, 1 weapon upgrade will move you to 10, and the final upgrade will net you 15 total overkill slots.
    I never did max mine out D:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I never maxed mine out either, but I plan to on my second playthrough.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Soups wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I never maxed mine out either, but I plan to on my second playthrough.

It's pretty hard to do towards the end of the game,
    because you need every single fruit fucker in order to upgrade everyone. Plus, you can't overkill on mimes (they're immune to special attacks), and they make up a fair number of the late-game enemies.
    Not impossible, but you have to make a very concerted effort to do it.

On my second playthrough, I ended up with 15, 14, and 12 overkill points. I guess I didn't plan it out well enough D:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think I'm dense but I am not sure what a special attack is. If someone would give me a little help, I'd appreciate it.
    I've never been able to play these games but did all alright getting through this one.
    I'm playing on xbox.
    I believe blue is a regular attack and yellow is the overkill but I never get the yellow to fill up.

Are the bonus characters specials or items like Hot Toddy?

Also, how do you do team attacks?

I really suck at these games....had a blast though.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think I'm dense but I am not sure what a special attack is. If someone would give me a little help, I'd appreciate it.
    I've never been able to play these games but did all alright getting through this one.
    I'm playing on xbox.
    I believe blue is a regular attack and yellow is the overkill but I never get the yellow to fill up.

Are the bonus characters specials or items like Hot Toddy?

Also, how do you do team attacks?

I really suck at these games....had a blast though.

The special attack is the yellow "Y" attack on Xbox. To use it you have to wait for your "X" attack to fill up, but refrain from using it. The special attack will charge afterwards, and after it's fully charged, you can use it.

To use team attacks, two or more characters have to have their special attack charged and available, then select one character's special, target the enemy you want to use the team attack on, then select the Team Attack icon (silouhette with "x2" or "x3" inside).

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I managed to get full overkill on all characters. It's sweet, like a dessert, or ice cream. You need to save a lot of clowns and do a lot of backtracking to upgrade guns; the first time this is necessary is,
    if you got every last possible part before the basement in the shithole, go in and click on three parts on the tables before fighting anyone, and you have just about enough to upgrade tycho and rake man; gabe is useless until pelican bay, but it means you can start earning overkill on your upgrades using all the hobos and ffers.

Jazmeister on
  • Options
    EmrysEmrys Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can get several overkills at a time near the end with Tycho's full auto attack. And you can get overkills on the flying mimes even though you can't get them on the regular ones.

Emrys on
  • Options
    JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If I was fighting a lot of enemies immune to specials, I would use Fuschia instead to build up her damage. This is also an option. I found it interesting that there was a finite number of enemies in the game; it meant that you were never able to "max yourself out" long before you ran out of enemies.

Jazmeister on
  • Options
    CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thank you so much Soups......I feel like an idiot! I only used 2 of those the entire game and that was off of Gabe rolling 20s.

I really wanna play this over again soon....I had to grind for so many items because I didn't know what I was doing.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png