As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[lateparty on] Valkerie Profile: Lenneth PSP

Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I just picked up Valkerie Profile for the psp, and I bought it used.

I'm playing through and it's a really great game, beautiful cutscenes, dripping with gorgeous visuals, an amazing Square Enix product. However I seem to have a problem... My copy didn't come with the instruction manual, and I cannot for the life of me figure out exactly what I am supposed to be doing.

I've been using the "heart listen" to find new dungeons and I presume that I should just keep doing them in order, leveling up and making new items for my party as I go, but I was disheartened when I reached the end of the first "chapter" and I was informed that my progress was abysmal, so I've resolved to figure out just what I should be doing with my limited time before the end of the world, and I came here to ask what the hell I should be doing.

valkyrie-profile-lenneth-20060508042947245.jpg
valkyrie-profile-lenneth-20060719070401336.jpg

twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
Captain Vash on

• Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I haven't been bother to play this one for quite some time. After you finish each dungeon once, you still have like half of your turns left, so it's grind grind grind. This takes forever. As for what you are to be doing, your objective is to harvest souls for Ragnarok, birst by getting them when they die, then by strengthening them through battle, and finally by sending them on up to await the final battle. Perhaps you sent no one up, or they were poorly leveled and equipped or something, I don't know. Consult your local GameFAQ ot strategy guide for more info. It is a pretty, interesting, and beautifully written game for the first half of every act. Then I get bored for the second half. Someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was playing it, loved it, until I found out I had gone through about 3/4 of the game with no possible way of getting to the GOOD ending. It just bothered me so much that you had to play through it such a specific way that I haven't played it again since.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The meat of it is essentially what you're doing, you just have to remember to send a warrior or two up to Odin before the end of the chapter. Level them up a bit, give them decent equipment, but don't forget to check their "hero ranking".

Buried in the menu where you learn new skills for your character is an option to spend points on traits. You increase your character's 'Hero' level by improving good ones, such as brave, and decreasing ones such as cowardly or self-centered.

For the early chapters, I think you need a hero rating of about 50, and it slowly climbs higher.

Anyway, the best piece of advice is to just google a FAQ, which will have everything and more in it. Honestly, the book it came with is pretty crappy and does a really bad job of explaining the mechanics, so it best to find a FAQ anyway.

PS - Do you know when you push the attack buttons and in what order has a dramatic effect on how much damage your characters do? IE teaming up with certain attacks, and unleashing combos will result in much, much higher damage and can lead to more items and exp being gained in battle.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No, I meant with that whole shitty [spoiler:cda03f6fb5]Secret rating system where you have to do specific things in specific chapters. If you get it lower than 37 I think at the end with all the dungeons done in the right order and all the possible recruits you get the good ending.[/spoiler:cda03f6fb5]

core tactic on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game is pretty damn hard, best advice is really to either get a GREAT online guide, or just go spend the $10-$15 and buy one if you can.

Everything you do to a particular character effects how they perform in Valhalla. Even the very last accessory has a pretty big impact. So yeah, HARD.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Even with the manual they give you no idea what to do with the story mode.

I've been told this game is fantastic, but man, do they ever punish you for exploring.

They give you a timer that counts down every time you explore a new zone, but they give you no direction as to which zone you need to go to next, what you're supposed to accomplish there, or which zones you need to revisit. To further this problem, they leave the old zones open and introduce new ones before you need to go there, so you can often visit a town where no one tells you or gives you anything important, or miss a town where you're supposed to get a critical item.

Brolo on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game is pretty damn hard, best advice is really to either get a GREAT online guide, or just go spend the $10-$15 and buy one if you can.

Everything you do to a particular character effects how they perform in Valhalla. Even the very last accessory has a pretty big impact. So yeah, HARD.
    The gameplay itself is easy. Sure it takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of the timing in combat, you quickly outclass everything. If you are playing hard mode, you will have a bunch of extra turns left to do whatever you want with. It's meant for people who might have missed something in an early dungeon or got wiped out in battle and subsequently got kicked out. If you have a bunch of turns left and don't want to grind (which is fair), just go to the menu and rest for X turns.

AND USE THE FREAKING EXP ORB. Use it on new characters and such but don't save the stuff! You get so much it's not even funny. It makes grinding unnecessary.

The hard part is the navigating the dungeons and trying to get the A ending. I recommend a guide for both (in fact, it's almost REQUIRED for the A ending) since figuring them out takes longer than necessary.

But yeah, definitely get the A ending. This game is one of my all-time favorites and makes a great replay from time to time.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    B Ending (the default one) is pretty cool too. Lots of ass-kicking to be done for the sake of ass-kicking.

I'd recommend getting the B ending on Normal difficulty so it'll give you a good feel for what to expect out of the game and then do the A ending on Hard difficulty.

Hard difficulty is awesome because you get more characters, more dungeons, and more items and more story as a result.

Hard difficulty is a bitch because it is, well, HARD.

Protip: Lezard Valeth's Tower is going to be the best place to grind per "time period" in-game until something like Chapter 6 or even 7. If you're just looking for "real time invested," there's some decent dungeons where there's a mini-boss part-way in that you can just slay and then teleport out and that's a ton of experience.

SirNick on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SirNick wrote:
    B Ending (the default one) is pretty cool too. Lots of ass-kicking to be done for the sake of ass-kicking.

I'd recommend getting the B ending on Normal difficulty so it'll give you a good feel for what to expect out of the game and then do the A ending on Hard difficulty.

Hard difficulty is awesome because you get more characters, more dungeons, and more items and more story as a result.

Hard difficulty is a bitch because it is, well, HARD.

Protip: Lezard Valeth's Tower is going to be the best place to grind per "time period" in-game until something like Chapter 6 or even 7. If you're just looking for "real time invested," there's some decent dungeons where there's a mini-boss part-way in that you can just slay and then teleport out and that's a ton of experience.
    Ironically, being exposed to better equipment in hard mode makes the game easier. I think easy mode is perhaps the most difficult, because you don't have access to most of the cool gear in the "hard difficulty" dungeons. However, easy mode is easy because there's less items and chararcters to keep track of. You wouldn't think invenstory organization is a major issue of confusion, but there's a metric fuckton of stuff in this game.

But yeah, play the game for the B ending on normal or easy, then replay for the sweet A ending.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Tch. I never had to grind in the game except when I tried my wacky "all archers" run. :P And the A ending is pretty easy to activate once you know what you're supposed to do, it's just that it's nearly impossible to figure it out on your own.

I've recorded most of the A ending scenes anyway, except for the last ones if you're really lazy. :P

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aroduc+valkyrie

Also, thread needs more Freya.

art018is8.jpg

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Best. Game. Ever.

I have 4 copies on PS1, and of course the PSP version.

Zhou on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Haha I'm like 70% of they way through the game and I still have no idea what I'm really supposed to be doing. But I think the game is pretty forgiving anyway I think I died like a single time during a boss fight. You don't really have to worry about losing the game anyway.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    But I think the game is pretty forgiving.
    Quoted for truth.

With a Level 8 in Guts and an Angel Curio or two I think there was only absurdly low percentage chance that you'd actually die when killed.

In fact, later bosses demanded such a setup since they'd kill your entire party outright with every attack.

"I killed you!"

"No you didn't!"

SirNick on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    SirNick wrote:
    But I think the game is pretty forgiving.
    Quoted for truth.

With a Level 8 in Guts and an Angel Curio or two I think there was only absurdly low percentage chance that you'd actually die when killed.

In fact, later bosses demanded such a setup since they'd kill your entire party outright with every attack.

"I killed you!"

"No you didn't!"

Or the hamsters.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics where you can get raped but really if you just put minor effort into planning you are unstoppable.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Getting wiped out just kicks you out of the dungeon. The only real penalty in that is you lose 2 or 3 turns. Some chapters you usually rest (waste) 10 turns anyway.

If you going for the A ending, the story appears to go away during the early/middle portion of the game while you're still building up einherjar. But then it comes back in full force later.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    It's kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics where you can get raped but really if you just put minor effort into planning you are unstoppable.

There are even speed runs of the game which take down the B ending boss in under 30 minutes of play. :P

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I was disheartened when I reached the end of the first "chapter" and I was informed that my progress was abysmal, so I've resolved to figure out just what I should be doing with my limited time before the end of the world, and I came here to ask what the hell I should be doing.
    Oh, right. A topical response to the OP is in order to help out with the whole disheartening thing.

Basically, if you want to win bonus points with Odin and the crew, just send up two folks every chapter. The end. Make sure that they've got as much hero points as you can milk out of them and send 'em on up. Equipment's not as important as level and Hero Points.

As far as worrying about running out of time, just save at the beginning of a chapter and visit all the towns you feel like visiting, and you'll see which ones are useless and which ones aren't, so then you just reload and visit the critical story towns.

Other than that, just have fun and level up only the folks that you really, really like, and moderately train the goons you're going to send up to Valhalla.

I really liked Jun and Suo (when he came; Arngrim before then), and for a caster I just went with Mystina after you get her halfway through.

Lenneth with a bow is pretty cool too.

Oh, and your hits get more powerful as the combo hit counter goes up, so start your super combos with something with a lot of moves (like Jun's 36-hit super or whatever it was) then end with a big low-hit move (like a single-hit spell or the Nibelung Valesti).

Other than that, get a feel for milking as many crystals as you can out of every enemy -- they help and they help HARD.

SirNick on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    SirNick wrote:
    I was disheartened when I reached the end of the first "chapter" and I was informed that my progress was abysmal, so I've resolved to figure out just what I should be doing with my limited time before the end of the world, and I came here to ask what the hell I should be doing.
    Oh, right. A topical response to the OP is in order to help out with the whole disheartening thing.

Basically, if you want to win bonus points with Odin and the crew, just send up two folks every chapter. The end. Make sure that they've got as much hero points as you can milk out of them and send 'em on up. Equipment's not as important as level and Hero Points.

This isn't totally correct. Equipment is important and the better you have, the better the evaluation of the hero is. In addition, some of the more esoteric requests Freya makes (must be a swimmer) you can equip people with the seemingly useless accessories that you can buy to give them bonuses to that for those chapters. You really only need to send up one person a chapter, but the more the merrier.

I imagine what happened is that he kept a lot of the artifacts and forgot to transfer someone, so his evaluation was negative overall and Freya was pissed.

But yes, Lenneth with a bow is nearly twice as strong as Lenneth with a sword. So, uh, keep her with a bow.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Belenus is a baller. I highly encourage his usage.

Every time I play through, I realize more and more that besides Arngrim and Lenneth, pretty much all the characters are comparable. Just choose whose personalities you like, and they tend to do just about as well as the other characters. Except if you're playing hard, and you get some tasty extra characters in the gate.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is one of those games that I want a PSP for (the other big one woulda been Suikoden 1 and 2 if it came here). I played the original way back when, but never finished it, and dont own it. And it's not like I'm going to find it without paying a leg for it now. I really liked the game, though it had some problems. (Namely, it was too easy to waste your time. You could get completely fucked if you don't spend your time right).

Playing through Valkyrie Profile 2 now only makes me want to play this game more.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't even know how to send someone up.

but I did not keep a single artifact!

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think there's a tab in your inventory devoted solely to sending members up...

Take a look.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't even know how to send someone up.
    That could be a contributing factor to the poor rating. :P

It's buried somewhere in the interface menus. I can't tell you where. Play around a bit. Maybe somebody else could help.

SirNick on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    What the fuck is with this thread title?

Seriously, fucking retarded.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just go through the menu carefully and, yes, make sure you send up heroes that fit what Freya requests. Also, since you're probably going to get the B ending, never send up Gourry (that's not his name, but he has a lightsaber, and Gourry/Brock's voice). He's one of the best characters in the game, because one of his attacks is insane for knocking exp/time crystals out of the enemies.

What towns do you need to go to? When you use your meditation and it shows you a story and town to go to, you usually get a character. Always go back to that town right after you recruit them. Look for the screen where they spent most of their time, or their house, and investigate. Usually you'll find a special item. Arngrim has a sword, Bellanus has some sort of pendant, Janus has a special crossbow, etc.

Half of the fun in this game is the special attacks. The sound test can amuse me for quite a while. Also playing them for your friends, so you can tell them who all the random dubbed anime voices they are. Prettymuch every dubbed 90's anime voice is in this game.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I know, right? I was like, "Hey, that guy's on pokemon!" or something like that.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I know, right? I was like, "Hey, that guy's on pokemon!" or something like that.

Ash is even someone in a random cutscene. Jessie is half the girls in the game. James is also hanging out, along with Gary. I believe *one* of Zelgadis' voices is in the game. The blonde princess Jelanda is played by...the blonde princes from Slayers Next. Gohan is the equally wimpy first archer, which is quite funny, because most of his quotes are about how everyone else is so powerful and he feels weak and useless. Which he is.

Also, half of the voices are also in Star Ocean 2. I could go on and on...I love the quotes from this game. I tend to randomly mutter them to myself, or subject my friends to them. My favorite is probably Suo, because he just yells out EVERYTHING.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    My favorite is probably Suo, because he just yells out EVERYTHING.
    "SHIHO! What, what do I do?!"

I really wish they had the option for Japanese voices with English subtitles. Sorta like Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast where the Japanese voices were insanely awesome when they yelled stuff.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I really want to turn the japanese voices on and just use subtitles.

Horrible, horrible dub actors.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm exactly the opposite. I'd glad VP is dubbed, and SC is always in English for me. Which pisses off my friends. Japanese voices yelling in English is okay. But if they're going to be speaking in Japanese, I'd rather have the great dubbing instead.

Plus, some of the quotes were changed slightly in VP. It's in the translation quote FAQ. Originally, Lenneth's attack was "I will destroy your soul." But, the word for 'engrave' is one letter off 'destroy.' So they mistranslated it, but it ended up sounding pretty cool.

Ougi roughly translates to 'Secret Skill.' For Suo's, I know that 'hojin' is 'ice' or something similar, but the FAQ doesn't translate the other word. I just know that one because an ice character in a fighting game yells it out. Jun's means something like, "The limitless art of the flashing blade. Thousand slash attack." Rough approximation from that FAQ and the one in Thrash that translates some fighting game move names.

...man I love this game.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought this game a few months back for a plane trip. After 4 hours of play, I was wondering when the game was supposed to start. I put it away to give it a shot later.

You mean to tell me this this the whole game? Christ! I thought it was your typical JRPG! I was waiting for the "tutorial" to stop so I could start walking around towns and talk to people and stuff.

>_<

halkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    halkun wrote:
    You mean to tell me this this the whole game? Christ! I thought it was your typical JRPG! I was waiting for the "tutorial" to stop so I could start walking around towns and talk to people and stuff.

>_<
    Once you get out of, oh, Chapter 2, the game really does get a lot better since you're finally recruiting more folks and doing more engaging dungeons.

But yeah, the opening hours are absolutely terrible to go through. Makes it a difficult thing to get past when convincing one's self to do a replay.

SirNick on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The game doesn't really get fun until you can pull off everyone's special attacks every round. And you start getting like six characters every chapter. Then, when you can craft the item that lets you use great magic every round, so you can do all four specials with that, it becomes totally awesome.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Tylerbroor wrote:
    Belenus is a baller. I highly encourage his usage.

Every time I play through, I realize more and more that besides Arngrim and Lenneth, pretty much all the characters are comparable. Just choose whose personalities you like, and they tend to do just about as well as the other characters. Except if you're playing hard, and you get some tasty extra characters in the gate.

They really aren't, and some (Badrach) are completely situational. Almost all of the mages are completely identical, except for Mystina and the Hard Mode/Seraphic Gate ones. There are five different growth rates though. Great Sword users (which doesn't include Gray for some reason), Light Sword Users, Spear Users, Bow Users, and the Mages. Great Sword people have the best growth rate, but their PWS attacks tend to have pissantly awful multipliers. Gray's attacks especially are the worst around. The spear users have the best multipliers (outside from the Seraphic Gate stuff), and the bow users are strictly situational. Janus' 3 poisons for example, Llewyn's 3 breaks guards, and Badrach is a gem generating machine if played right. Of the light sword users Belenus easily is the best and has the best multiplier for his PWS, but Lucian's 3 is glitched and has some weird properties that it shouldn't have, so he's pretty overpowered as well.

As for the dub voices, it's from a group of workers at 4Kids. They worked together to do all the Slayers stuff, then got scarfed up to do Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and that's a successful career unto itself.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I usually use Arngrim as my main heavy swordsman, because I don't really like Kashell much. Plus, it's Arngrim! Cmon!

Typically my party will be Lenneth (bow), Arngrim, a spearman or light swordsman, and the mage of the current chapter. Mages are pretty easy to switch out with each other. It all comes down to who doesn't annoy me the most.

Also, Belenus is awesome. Unfortunately he's got such a high hero value (which makes sense because of his scene) that the game tempts you to send him up in the first chapter, which I may or may not do. He's one of the few good light swordsmen besides Valkyrie, but she should be using a bow. I don't send up any spearmen because there's only a few to begin with. Send up all the mages you want though.

Did you know that the same guy who voices Arngrim also voices Lezard? That's pretty wack.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Here's the most amazing walkthrough for this game - it tells you EVERYTHING you need to know for full completion and more, and it's all done in videos:

http://hosted.filefront.com/triAceFanboy/1694873

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I hate Arngrim. Ugh. Groundhumper (Kashell) is much more fun. I always use Bellanus as much as possible. Sadly, I'm still missing *one* sound clip with him. The one for when enemies are hgher level...because I always levled him up an assload. Everyone that I talked to sent him up immediately, but I always get rid of Llewellyn (who always reminds me of the PA comic about needing more 'y's in your fantasy name). Give Bel the best sword in the game, and he hits for a lot...I prefer him as the finisher instead of the spear users. Lawfer is sucky, and everyone uses the dragongirl. For mages...I usually use you-know-who, because his voice/quotes are so great.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    I hate Arngrim. Ugh. Groundhumper (Kashell) is much more fun. I always use Bellanus as much as possible. Sadly, I'm still missing *one* sound clip with him. The one for when enemies are hgher level...because I always levled him up an assload. Everyone that I talked to sent him up immediately, but I always get rid of Llewellyn (who always reminds me of the PA comic about needing more 'y's in your fantasy name). Give Bel the best sword in the game, and he hits for a lot...I prefer him as the finisher instead of the spear users. Lawfer is sucky, and everyone uses the dragongirl. For mages...I usually use you-know-who, because his voice/quotes are so great.

I tend to send up Bel in chapter 2 or 3 just because I tend to use him a bunch when I get him and his attacks are just too simplistic for me to have any fun with him. He's still the best light swordsman behind Lenneth and arguably Lucian (though without Lucian's absurd 3, there's no contest), but he's basically just a weaker version of Lenneth's sword version right down to the attacks. Lawfer really does have the best multipliers in the game even for regular attacks since his 3 doesn't have a reduction multiplier applied, which makes it usually a stronger attack than even glitchy Lucian 3, glitchiness notwithstanding.
    Marty81 wrote:
    Lots of misinformation in this thread.

I'm pretty sure I've corrected most of it. It's internal (and external for that matter) documentation is pretty poor so a lot of it has been figured out and crunched to death by the crazy Japanese folks who seem to live for this sort of thing.

Aroduc on