As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College App Queston Question

Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
On a college application I've been working on I saw the following question:
If there is additional information you would like us to consider in reviewing your application, please share this with us as well. This is your opportunity to tell us things about yourself that have not been asked elsewhere, if you believe they will help us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, and test scores.

What kind of info are they looking for? It seems like the question is optional, but I don't feel comfortable leaving it blank.

The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
Nite-Man on

• Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What kind of questions have been asked on the application? Undergrad program I'm assuming? What are your grades and such like?

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One previous question asked about my principal extracurricular activities and then had me explain why it was important.

Another one asked about particular life experiences and how my presence would enrich the community?

It's an undergrad program that I'm trying to transfer to. I have an associates degree in accounting and my grades were terrible.

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You could use it as an opportunity to highlight your extracurriculars if you haven't already, *why* you want to attend their college, what you hope to contribute to the school and what you feel like they can do for you (programs, clubs, sports or whatever).

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd use it as a justification as to why your grades were terrible. Don't spend more than a couple of sentences on it (don't want them taking that away as The Big Point), just let them know why this time will be different.

Also, why that school is the one you want to be at, rather than anywhere else.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In your case it's definitely a good place to give a good reason why your grades suffered (if there is one, but don't go crazy bs-ing)

Otherwise, it depends a bit on how much space/how focused the other essay-type questions were; if those were more short-answer type things, then this would be the place where if you had written a computer game, or composed your own music, or some equally random but interesting personal interest, but if you've covered then elsewhere then it could fall back to more the 'why i'm interested in this school' type of answer

Gdiguy on