As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sibling recommendations

Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Hello all,

I'm looking for some game recommendations, first up would be DS games for a 13 year old girl (sister). Nothing too deep i guess, no final fantasy tactics or anything overly wordy. Things she likes would be Mario kart, Nintendogs, Bust a move, Mysims, Cooking Mama, Pokemon, Tamagotchi corner shop (1&2,).

Really does like pokemon, but the strategy and rock beats electricity stuff got to be too much for her nearly halfway through. She's got a bunch of sims and nintendogs clones as well, so things like that nah. I thought she'd like adventure games etc but pokemon mystery dungeon nearly had her throwing her ds, so euh yeaaah.

Secondly, titles with good or great co-op. A friend and myself played through both Gears of war and Army of two this week and shit was fun. We tried Halo 3 but felt it lacked a certain meaty goodness. Rainbow Six las vegas had us getting killed a little too much. Available consoles are the 360 and the ps2. edit: I've played through marvel ultimate alliance like 3 times with other mates, so thats a no go.

Thanks in advance duders,

Canada_jezus on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hello all,

I'm looking for some game recommendations, first up would be DS games for a 13 year old girl (sister). Nothing too deep i guess, no final fantasy tactics or anything overly wordy. Things she likes would be Mario kart, Nintendogs, Bust a move, Mysims, Cooking Mama, Pokemon, Tamagotchi corner shop (1&2,).

Really does like pokemon, but the strategy and rock beats electricity stuff got to be too much for her nearly halfway through. She's got a bunch of sims and nintendogs clones as well, so things like that nah. I thought she'd like adventure games etc but pokemon mystery dungeon nearly had her throwing her ds, so euh yeaaah.

Maybe some Phoenix Wright / Apollo Justice? Simple games, but with a good narrative, they're quite good adventure games. I'm not sure whether she'd consider it "overly wordy" or not thought. It's admittedly text driven, that's what all the story, humour, and court cases revolve around. I wouldn't say it's too much for anyone her age, but you would know better whether she'd actually like it or not.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ah i should have mentioned, english would not be her (our) first language. Which is why really text driven games won't especially work. But yeah i have the first one lying around here somewhere, so i'll have her try that if she wants.

Anyone know how difficult "the world ends with you" is? Review said challenging and veteran game reviewer vs novice gamer etc etc you know.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Secondly, titles with good or great co-op. A friend and myself played through both Gears of war and Army of two this week and shit was fun. We tried Halo 3 but felt it lacked a certain meaty goodness. Rainbow Six las vegas had us getting killed a little too much. Available consoles are the 360 and the ps2. edit: I've played through marvel ultimate alliance like 3 times with other mates, so thats a no go.

Thanks in advance duders,

I strongly recommend giving Halo 3 another go. I also strongly recommend Rainbow Six: Las Vegas 2 again. You've really tied my hands here, actually, these are two of my favorite co-op franchises ever. Otherwise, do what I'm doing and wait for Mercenaries 2 to come out, that's going to have co-op, and I'm going to love it.

Maybe you could try getting, like, good at Rainbow Six: Vegas? I'm hoping this doesn't sound condescending, but it's a tactical shooter, and if you grasp some of the fundamentals of the tactics, your survivability and enjoyment will go way up. My brother and I spent *days* practicing terrorist hunt kill houses together outside of the campaign so we could kick ass and take names in the campaign mode.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SammyF wrote: »

I strongly recommend giving Halo 3 another go. I also strongly recommend Rainbow Six: Las Vegas 2 again. You've really tied my hands here, actually, these are two of my favorite co-op franchises ever. Otherwise, do what I'm doing and wait for Mercenaries 2 to come out, that's going to have co-op, and I'm going to love it.

Maybe you could try getting, like, good at Rainbow Six: Vegas? I'm hoping this doesn't sound condescending, but it's a tactical shooter, and if you grasp some of the fundamentals of the tactics, your survivability and enjoyment will go way up. My brother and I spent *days* practicing terrorist hunt kill houses together outside of the campaign so we could kick ass and take names in the campaign mode.

Hmm alright, i'll gamefaqs and/or pick up a strategy guide for Vegas. Give it another go and all that. I'd probably have stuck with it if it had brutal brutal melee kills. I know i know, low brow but aaah once you know the joy of fist pounding after killing half of the middle east you can't go back etc.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Get Elite Beat Agents for your sister.
    It's really good.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My sister is also 13 and she loves EBA/Ouendan1&2, all four Ace Attorney games, and the Castlevanias. Also, Rune Factory. She's almost constantly playing some form of Harvest Moon game.
    Give all those a shot.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do you know she feels about platformers? Kirby: Squeak Squad (Or Mouse Attack, depending where you live) and Super Princess Peach are both pretty good.

Also, Animal Crossing: Wild World. Though, that might be too close to MySims.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just drew you a little diagram in MS paint depicting generally what a 2-man entry tactic ought to look like--it's actually pretty nice for 10 minutes of work using my laptop touchpad and so on. However, while I was getting ready to upload it to photobucket to share, I suddenly remembered this is the sort of thing the Federal Government frowns upon. So instead I'm just going to give you some random tips:

1. When you go through a doorway, GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT. Do not stop and stand in the doorway. Do not use it as cover. It will not save you. Go through and put distance between yourself and the door quickly.

2. Drop the flashbang just inside doorway. The second guy through should be the one to grenade or flashbang so the first guy isn't still fumbling to recover his weapon while he's going through the doorway.

3. Division of labor. You cannot fall into the trap where you both go through the door and start shooting at the first guy you see because the second guy that neither of you picked up will shoot you both in the head.. Have a plan before you go through that describes who is going to go where and shoot who. You can train a complex, detailed plan until it's second nature (like my diagram!) or you can do something as simple as say, "I go left, you go right."

4. Learn what a "buttonhook" is.

SammyF on
  • Options
    CaffeinatedGuyCaffeinatedGuy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For your sister New Super Mario Bros DS?

Not exactly coop but Culdcept Saga is a lot of fun to play with friends if you like board games and collectable card games.

CaffeinatedGuy on
    brick_bow_banner.png