Options

N-Gage: Did it have *any* good games?

Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/themNorth Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
When the N-Gage was announced, I laughed. I laughed long and hard, and my sides ached and my nose bled and my head burst. When it was launched I laughed even harder. My chest exploded, making that scene from Alien look tame in comparison. The QD was released, and I didn't laugh quite as hard, but my sides did split.

However at the back of my head there was always this little voice saying, "G'wan. You can get one on Contract when you need a new phone. Give it a g. There must be something good out for it." That morbid curiosity niggled and whined and clawed at the base of my skull for three whole years, and it only got louder when Worms World Party was released for the system. The N-Gage version was heralded as the best handheld version of a Worms game ever. Dare I pass on that? Yes, because common sense told me that there was Fuck All worth playing on the N-Gage.

Now a good couple of years have passed, and the only place you can find N-Gages and the games is in GameStation where they have them rather embarrassingly on display in a glass case, marked "Sale!" "Must go!" "Kill me, I feel nothing but pain". But I do wonder if there was anything actually worth playing on the N-Gage, especially as I can now pick one up for less than £15.I won't complain about spending £25 for one console and two good games, if that's all there is.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
Squirminator2k on

• Options
    Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always wanted to try that RIFTS srpg. Mainly because RIFTS was pretty cool and it was also probably one of the reasons palladium is doomed.

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RIFTS: Rise to Power was good, or it never got a bad review. Kinda a shame because I play the Palladium system (the guys who made the RIFTS pen and paper game) and it would have been rockin' for them to have that game do well.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pocket Kingdom was addictive, and Pathway to Glory was amazing. In fact, had it been on another handheld, people would still be playing it today. Alas, it was saddled with the N-gage.

etoychest on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Colt wrote:
    RIFTS: Rise to Power was good, or it never got a bad review. Kinda a shame because I play the Palladium system (the guys who made the RIFTS pen and paper game) and it would have been rockin' for them to have that game do well.
    It would've been rockin' for them to put out a good game on a legitimate system, too. Instead we get a cellphone SRPG on a stillborn system.

RIFTS MMO...

Mmmmmmmmmm...

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    s3rial one wrote:
    Colt wrote:
    It would've been rockin' for them to put out a good game on a legitimate system, too. Instead we get a cellphone SRPG on a stillborn system.

RIFTS MMO...

Mmmmmmmmmm...

You have no idea how bad I would like CCP or Bioware to pick up the Rifts books and go "Fuck! We could do something with this!"

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Colt wrote:
    s3rial one wrote:
    Colt wrote:

RIFTS MMO...

Mmmmmmmmmm...

You have no idea how bad I would like CCP or Bioware to pick up the Rifts books and go "Fuck! We could do something with this!"

as long as it was a coalition states book. and not one of the later, fucktard books with fucktard equipment and settings.

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Colt wrote:
    You have no idea how bad I would like CCP or Bioware to pick up the Rifts core books and go "Fuck! We could do something with this!"
    Fixed that for ya.

The original book, the Source Book, maybe Wild West, the NGR and Mercenaries... I think we can safely kick the rest of the world books and crap like Phase World and Wormwood to the curb. ;)

Still, I think it's plain to see that the N-gage was just about the last platform a RIFTS game belonged on.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I suspect someone may have tried to pick RIFTS up, but a Marketing Man has stepped in and there's probably been a lovely discussion to the effect of:

Developer: Yay and woo, for we have found an RPG system constructed from the purest of Awesomes.
    Marketing: Hello! A similar game was released for another console a couple of years ago and it flopped! We can't sell that!
    Developer: Yeah, but that was for... what, the N-Gage? All of sixteen people purchased that console. There are more active Amiga users nowadays then there are N-Gage users.
    Marketing: RIFTS has sold poorly in the past! We can't pick that up! We can't sell it if it sold poorly before! We are not wired that way!
    Developer: But...
    Marketing: We cannot sell it!!
    Developer: Right. Right. Yes. Right. We'll, uh, We'll get back to developing our licensed FPS sequel then.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Colt wrote:
    s3rial one wrote:
    Colt wrote:

RIFTS MMO...

Mmmmmmmmmm...

as long as it was a coalition states book. and not one of the later, fucktard books with fucktard equipment and settings.

The Merc stuff is not that bad.

Me and my roommate and the GM we hang with created the ultimate idea for an MMO set in the Rifts universe. The conversation went on for hours. I wish I had a recording of it or something, else I would present it but it is something allong the lines of having a massive world like EVE Online and...fuck, I cant even talk about it without going into great detail. Another thread.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    s3rial one wrote:
    Colt wrote:
    You have no idea how bad I would like CCP or Bioware to pick up the Rifts core books and go "Fuck! We could do something with this!"
    Fixed that for ya.

The original book, the Source Book, maybe Wild West, the NGR and Mercenaries... I think we can safely kick the rest of the world books and crap like Phase World and Wormwood to the curb. ;)

Still, I think it's plain to see that the N-gage was just about the last platform a RIFTS game belonged on.

Hey, Phase World was awesome. I liked it.

The thing is, Nokia approached THEM about it and they jumped on it. Nothing went wrong on Palladiums end, it was Nokia and the fact they did dick with the N-Guage.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    A Fallout and RIFTS (north american source stuff, I liked the Canada books too) MMO are on the top of my "fuck yes please" list.

but ya, I think we're a bit off topic

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've always wanted to pick up a retarded cheap N-Gage to play the Elder Scrolls games on them.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think that it had a King of fighters game on it. That is the only thing that even mildly interests me.

Artoria on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    dragonsama wrote:
    I think that it had a King of fighters game on it. That is the only thing that even mildly interests me.

It was neat, but rough to control.

etoychest on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There was an old CAG thread when N-gages were like $20 new and games $3. Alot of people reported some pretty decent games in the mix of the garbage. I can't dig it up cause of websense though :(

solsovly on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The good games I remember were RIFT's, Pathway to Glory, Pocket Kingdom (Online was fricking nuts.), and that Warhammer 40k game that plays like the original Final Fantasy Tactics, only with chainsaw blades and bolters. Though, I think the last one is still in production.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DiscoalucardXDiscoalucardX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The KoF game was just a port of the GBA EX2.

The only really really good game was Pathway to Glory. Definitely worth checking it out if you dig turn based strategy games. Dunno about RIFTS though, it's still like $30 or so on their website.

DiscoalucardX on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Archonex wrote:
    The good games I remember were RIFT's, Pathway to Glory, Pocket Kingdom (Online was fricking nuts.), and that Warhammer 40k game that plays like the original Final Fantasy Tactics, only with chainsaw blades and bolters. Though, I think the last one is still in production.
    Warhammer 40K: Glory in Death? If that's the game you're referring to, I have it for my N-Gage. It's pretty damn fun.

The Elder Scrolls Shadowkey's a good bit of fun too.

Suriko on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pocket Kingdoms, as mentioned before, was pretty fun. Atleast fun enough to cause me to restart all three times my data became corrupt... I never found out if that was a common issue or I was just unlucky; even still, I kept restarting the game and building back my army.

Pathway to Glory was great, and I presume the sequel to it was just as good. Might be a good investment, since the original was pretty long by itself, so you could get a good amount of playtime for pretty cheap now. I doubt there's anyone playing it online anymore, but hotseat multiplayer was in my opinion much more fun anyways.

I also really got into Ashen. It was a unique FPS, with a nicely created storyline and setting. It handled surprisingly well, even with lack of shoulder buttons, and had a lengthy and challenging single player. See if you can look that one up, I'd definitely recommend it.

EDIT: Ahh yes, and I just remembered a great downloadable game, Sky Force. If you're into top-down shooters, it's worth a look. It also has a trial, so you can play through the first level I think to get a feel for it.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got an N-gage QD on a free contract deal last january, and due to working in a store that sold n-gage games (and was then told by the head office to bin them cos they werent ever going to sell) and various other pieces of good fortune I have played pretty much every title.

Tomb raider is tomb raider. If you like tomb raider you will like this. If you don't (like me) you will hate it.
    Tony hawk's is a nice conversion if it weren't for the fact that you can't HOLD a button on an n-gage, so grinding (the core of the game when you're Geoff Rowley) is very very hard to do.
    Warhammer 40,000 is a good little title. Worth picking up if you have a few bucks to spare.
    Civilization is a very capable port of civ 2. good for killing time on long train journeys.
    Both pathway to glory games are excellent and worth a look.
    I didn't get a chance to play Pocket Kingdom online as where I am internet on phones is very expensive. What I saw of it was ok.
    Asphault Urban GT 2, whilst being quite easy, is a lot of fun.
    King of Fighters was just that, but totally unsuited to the n-gage's screen.

I must say, however, that the crowning achievement of the n-gage, imho, is Worms World Party.

Yes, I know its available on every other system, but this was on my phone. a PC perfect conversion ready to pull out whenever I needed it. great stuff.

All other titles, to the best of my recollection, were absolute horrors. Bust-a-move gets a mention for impressive failure. How do you screw up Bust-a-move? its a guaranteed win, right? They FOUND a way.
    Elder scrolls game was painful and unfortunately the RIFTS game was dryer than a mouthful of digestive buiscuits. No fun there.

Also, the plastic ring round the outside of my n-gage finally came off after irritating me for 6 months, and occasionally it calls people by itself. when the keys are locked. Its creepy, so I'm swapping for a motorola v3x

malerik on
  • Options
    Magus DarkstarMagus Darkstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, I don't have a cell phone. If I ever got one, I was thinking about getting a taco N-Gage. Please advise.

I am completely serious.

Magus Darkstar on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You will die a peasants death.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    man I remember hearing about the european launch. I also remember hearing that it sold about 20 systems and I'm not kidding. It actually WAS an amazingly low number. might not have been 20 but it was less than 100. that's really REALLY sad

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I was really wishing they were going to bring that warhammer 40k rts game to the ds or something.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, I don't have a cell phone. If I ever got one, I was thinking about getting a taco N-Gage. Please advise.

I am completely serious.
    Pro:
    It has games
    Good conversation starter
    You can watch movies on it
    You can read manga and comics on it
    Nice big keyboard
    A fair few neat homebrew applications for it
    It's a phone
    Cons:
    Most of the games are trash
    Rather large
    People love to trash it

Despite having one, and liking it, unless you like the idea of playing games on your phone I'd recommend going for another more modern phone.

Suriko on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Suriko wrote:

I am completely serious.
    Pro:
    It has games
    Good conversation starter
    You can watch movies on it
    You can read manga and comics on it
    Nice big keyboard
    A fair few neat homebrew applications for it
    It's a phone
    Cons:
    Most of the games are trash
    Rather large
    People love to trash it

Despite having one, and liking it, unless you like the idea of playing games on your phone I'd recommend going for another more modern phone.

I completely agree; I was a huge N-Gage fan for a while, but soon I realized how awful of a phone it was. I've switched to a bland Nokia since and am amazed at how I can actually hear people on the other end. I definitely think it's worth it if you can get a cheap deal on the phone just for the games, but not as an all-in-one, or even two-in-one.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    HAHAHA. He said N-gage.
    In all seriousness, should I spend my 25 bucks on the N-Gage or an N64?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MooTMooT Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    HAHAHA. He said N-gage.

Both. Spend 50 bucks. You can never have enough novelty gaming crap(though the N64 is far from crap, my favourite system ever in fact.)

As for the "what games does it have?" thing, It has Worms, and it has Civilization.

Fucking Civilization.
    I haven't played it yet on account of I bricked my N-gage homebrewing on it, but it's civilization. Can it be bad?

Pocket Kingdoms and Pathway To Glory I continue to hear good things for, again, didn't play any of them.
    I bricked my N-gage really quickly....

MooT on
    Doomfield.png
    Wii #: 1141 2210 4181 0985
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MooT wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    HAHAHA. He said N-gage.

Both. Spend 50 bucks. You can never have anough novelty gaming crap(though the N64 is far from crap, my favourite system ever in fact.)

As for the "what games does it have?" thing, It has Worms, and it has Civilization.

Fucking Civilization.
    I haven't played it yet on account of I bricked my N-gage homebrewing on it, but it's civilization. Can it be bad?
    Yeah. I should have 50 bucks by the time I go to gamestop...but I need half of that for Halo 3...

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    MooT wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    HAHAHA. He said N-gage.

Both. Spend 50 bucks. You can never have anough novelty gaming crap(though the N64 is far from crap, my favourite system ever in fact.)

Fucking Civilization.
    Yeah. I should have 50 bucks by the time I go to gamestop...but I need half of that for Halo 3...

Your gamestop has N-gages? That's fucked.

MooT on
    Doomfield.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MooT wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    MooT wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    HAHAHA. He said N-gage.

Fucking Civilization.

They have the games. They may have an N-gage. Probably with a shaman.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    MooT wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    MooT wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    HAHAHA. He said N-gage.

Fucking Civilization.

They have the games. They may have an N-gage. Probably with a shaman.

My local EB has 2 games, Tomb Raider and Sonic, dusting it up on a shelf in the back. I bought games from them once, waaaay back when they were selling them off at 5 canadian dollars apiece. They're pretty scarce around here. I was talking to one of the guy's behind the counter there, he didn't even realise they still had them. He told me they sold the last of the QD's at 10 bucks apiece awhile back, he thought it was pretty hilarious.

MooT on
    Doomfield.png