As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terrible, yet awesome: Mean Girls game will be a reskin of ... Puzzle Quest

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/29/lindsay-lohan-mean-girls-game/#more-5917

mg_gameplay.jpg
‘Mean Girls’ Game Plays Like ‘Puzzle Quest’ In A High School, Stars Lindsay Lohan

If “Puzzle Quest” was a little too medieval for you or anyone you know, take heart. The December-slated “Mean Girls” downloadable PC game, based on the 2004 Lindsay Lohan movie will take the match-three gem gameplay of “Bejeweled,” but doesn’t add a story about swords, magic and dragons to it. It adds a story of high school girls, slackers, jocks, nerds. There won’t be magic spells. Instead, according to press materials the game’s publisher handed me today, there will be “rumors, pranks and putdowns.” The game’s ultimately a battle of cliques.

Are we excited or terrified? More details about “Mean Girls” and a “Pretty In Pink” game follow.

Legacy Interactive president Ariella Lehrer told me that she loved the idea of “Puzzle Quest” but couldn’t relate to the setting. She thinks the predominantly female audience of her successful casual games company — makers of veterinarian games, “Law & Order” games and others — would prefer the treacherous environment of a public high school full of mean girls.

Lohan’s likeness will be in the game and the plot will resemble that of the movie. These details may be the ones to excite the kind of audience that likes “Mean Girls,” but here at Multiplayer we’re more intrigued by the “Puzzle Quest” connection. Plus, some of us want to forget high school, even your editor here who went to an all boys’ school and didn’t have to deal with any mean girls.

Legacy Interactive will also publish casual PC game interpretations of “Clueless” (in the style of “JoJo’s Fashion Show“) and “Pretty In Pink” (in a hidden-picture-style game). Bonus news for you “Pretty In Pink” fans: the game will incorporate the movie’s plot but will allow the player to end the game with Molly Ringwald’s character winding up with Duckie instead of Blane. This meant nothing to me, but I told a co-worker who smiled gleefully at that idea. So big news, yes?

Lehrer said her company isn’t involved in any console or handheld versions of the games but said that rights-holder Paramount is exploring options.

“Puzzle Quest” in a high school full of mean girls via a “Mean Girls” game. How do we feel about that?

This reminds me of that whole Looney Tunes DS game that borrowed liberally from EBA. On the one hand I'm turning my nose up at such a rip-off, but on the other I'm intrigued about casual games cribbing from my favorite traditional games, right down to the Puzzle Quest spells and abilities.

Also, Pretty in Pink spoilers!

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OH. MY. GAWD!!!
    Lohan Quest? Two lipsticks and a purse? It seems they have a specific target audience in mind.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mean Girls is a pretty good movie.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mean Girls is a pretty good movie.
    Damn straight. I'm going to be all over this.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I realize this is a ridiculous comment but the point of the movie was supposed to be that clique battles and drama should be discouraged, so yeah...

Also viva Puzzle Quest! I picked it up again last night and it's still quite entertaining.

Strato on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Exposing that market segment to quality games by stealth seems like a good thing to me, and honestly I don't see that high-school cliques are any less relevant to Bejeweled than swords and sorcery.

Seol on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    remember that one time, there was an awesome game called 'meteos'. you like, shot blocks into the sky to SAVE THE UNIVERSE.

then the sequel came out and it was like 'meteos: now with disney characters!'

that was pretty neat.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I actually play as Lohan? Her special ability could be railing a line of blow, then crashing her car into her opponent!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I actually play as Lohan? Her special ability could be railing a line of blow, then crashing her car into her opponent!

Don't forget lezzing out.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ExzodiumExzodium Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man when I first read the name Lohan, I figured the game would get an M for exsessive drug use/refrence. My poor joke aside, I think if your going to make a puzzle game, dont let some C rated movie be the basis for your game theme esp. if your going after a fanchise that will not be rememberd in years time. The only puzzle game I ever seemed to care about was that stupid pokemon puzzle game for the N64. Man it was easy as hell to rack up combos in that game.

Exzodium on
    Legalize Stim Packs
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    fuck, a different company copying another company's game idea doesn't mean reskin. fucking misleading titles every time.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If this game replaces mana with coke and magic powers with abilities like 'Get stoned half-blind and drive into a tree' then it is a Day 1 buy. Otherwise, meh.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If this was literally a reskin, I'd be all over it.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg