As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Madden Wii - PA Waggle!

MenaceMenace regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So, Madden 07 for the Wii is out now and it's quite fun. The Freemotion Controls add a lot to the immersion of the game, making it the most fun I've had with a football game in a long while.

Here's how most of the new controls work.

So, as to not clog up the Wii thread with Madden banter, let us discuss!

If anyone knows how to call audibles quickly on Defense or call a timeout without going to the pause menu, let it be known to the masses.

Menace on

• Options
    coryjcoryj Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Things I would like to know:

1) How can I call timeout without entering the pause menu?

2) How can I call an audible on special teams?

3) Is there a smoother, quicker audible/line shift system than targeting the guys?

I have read over the manual, but with Zelda and all, I haven't really studied it.

coryj on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    coryj wrote:
    Things I would like to know:

1) How can I call timeout without entering the pause menu?

2) How can I call an audible on special teams?

3) Is there a smoother, quicker audible/line shift system than targeting the guys?

I have read over the manual, but with Zelda and all, I haven't really studied it.

The manual is about 5 pages, is there really any useful information in there? Most of the things I figured out the hard way.. like don't hold turbo when you are passing.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The manual is about 5 pages, is there really any useful information in there? Most of the things I figured out the hard way.. like don't hold turbo when you are passing.

I can't even begin to count the amount of times I go to rush with Michael Vick, and someone comes at me and I go to stiffarm in the backfield and throw the ball away by accident :(

There's definitely a lot to get used to.

coryj on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited November 2006
    Druming the controllers while running into the endzone untouched makes you hot-dog high-step in for the TD.

This is awesome and must be done whenever possible.

Menace on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Chalk me up as another person who has a pretty minimal interest in football games but is interested in trying out Madden on the Wii based on buzz about the controls.

I've a friend who has the game and hasn't really tried it, so when I have some time I want to sit down with him, learn the controls and really get into a multiplayer game. It seems like there's a fairly steep learning curve, though -- true or false?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    It seems like there's a fairly steep learning curve, though -- true or false?

To be able to pass, run, and kick, it will take only a few plays to get used to. To learn everything there is in there.... well, I still have not learned nearly everything and I have played a good 8-10 full games as well as the minigames. There are A LOT of advanced things you can do with the motion controls. The best mindset is to try to imitate the real moves most of the time (especially for interceptions and user-catches).

EDIT: Just noticed the thread title... I giggle every time I pass "PA Waggle" in my playbook :)

coryj on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    Chalk me up as another person who has a pretty minimal interest in football games but is interested in trying out Madden on the Wii based on buzz about the controls.

I've a friend who has the game and hasn't really tried it, so when I have some time I want to sit down with him, learn the controls and really get into a multiplayer game. It seems like there's a fairly steep learning curve, though -- true or false?

It took me one game to get used to picking the receiver first and then throwing, but it wasn't very hard to do. Kicking came very easily to me, contrary to many reviews I've read.

Learning how to time catches/interceptions and swats takes a bit of practice though.

The controls really just substitute for button presses, but it just makes it so much more fun this way. Stiff arming someone is especially satisfying.

Edit: tCoryj - What are you having trouble with?

Menace on
  • Options
    ShlankShlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's been awhile since I've purchased a football game and since I'm waiting until I can walk into the store at any given time to pick up a Wii I'm thinking about some possible game purchases (besides Zelda).

So G&T the questions I have about Madden are basically relegated to the Franchise and Superstar modes in the game. Are they gimped in any way like the 360 version of the game (don't think Superstar's even in the 360 version) because I find myself playing Franchise/Superstar more than any other mode.

Shlank on
    Shlankx.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Shlank wrote:
    It's been awhile since I've purchased a football game and since I'm waiting until I can walk into the store at any given time to pick up a Wii I'm thinking about some possible game purchases (besides Zelda).

So G&T the questions I have about Madden are basically relegated to the Franchise and Superstar modes in the game. Are they gimped in any way like the 360 version of the game (don't think Superstar's even in the 360 version) because I find myself playing Franchise/Superstar more than any other mode.

I haven't played Madden until this one for like 4 years, but according to an interview with the devs, it is "the same Madden as other consoles get, with extras" nothing is taken out... the extras are the motion controls and the 2-4 player minigames (which are pretty fun and a great way to learn some of the moves)

coryj on
  • Options
    ShlankShlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Awesome and excellent, will be adding this to my list when I finally go pick up my Wii. Thanks for the info.

Shlank on
    Shlankx.png
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shlank wrote:

this is like the XBOX1 or GC version...full franchise mode/superstar mode etc.

my question: what are the madden cards? can I use them to unlock things like vintage teams?

and what is the playmaker thingy?

the instruction manual wasn't very good..the tutorials are, but they only cover the wii controls.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So yeah..clock management.

Can I call for time without pausing?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    cobaltcobalt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    When I pick up a Wii, this game will definitely be bought, despite my already owning '07 360 (wherein unstoppable zombies are constantly signed by other teams during franchise mode, thus spoiling the best part of the game, to me).

cobalt on
    Sasuke+Plushie.png
  • Options
    madsimonmadsimon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    coryj wrote:
    Shlank wrote:

I haven't played Madden until this one for like 4 years, but according to an interview with the devs, it is "the same Madden as other consoles get, with extras" nothing is taken out... the extras are the motion controls and the 2-4 player minigames (which are pretty fun and a great way to learn some of the moves)

In the dev interview movie out on youtube, they mention Superstar mode in the Wii, so I imagine it's there. I'm sure someone with the game can add more.

The nice thing about the Wii version is you don't have to buy tutorials. They're actually in the game.

madsimon on
    allMad.png
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Stop making me want to own two copies of Madden 07. :(

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    cobalt wrote:
    When I pick up a Wii, this game will definitely be bought, despite my already owning '07 360 (wherein unstoppable zombies are constantly signed by other teams during franchise mode, thus spoiling the best part of the game, to me).

Me too - except I haven't bought a football game since NFL 2k5 - which I still play thanks to rooster updates via my Action Replay...but Madden Wii is going to finally put my solidarity with Sega to rest for awhile. I can't wait until tax refund season, I'm going Wii and I'm going overboard spending on it.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is a good game, I'm going to go play it now.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    cobaltcobalt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Herby wrote:
    cobalt wrote:

Me too - except I haven't bought a football game since NFL 2k5 - which I still play thanks to rooster updates via my Action Replay...but Madden Wii is going to finally put my solidarity with Sega to rest for awhile. I can't wait until tax refund season, I'm going Wii and I'm going overboard spending on it.

Hi 5... except, for me, I'm going to exercise my PSP PRP. (2k5 really was very good, and I miss the series somethin' fierce.)

One question: The menus for EA games have been getting consistently shinier, slower and clunkier with each game I buy: Does this trend hold true for this game?

cobalt on
    Sasuke+Plushie.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    cobalt wrote:
    Herby wrote:
    cobalt wrote:

Hi 5... except, for me, I'm going to exercise my PSP PRP. (2k5 really was very good, and I miss the series somethin' fierce.)

One question: The menus for EA games have been getting consistently shinier, slower and clunkier with each game I buy: Does this trend hold true for this game?

unfortunately, yes

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Herby wrote:
    cobalt wrote:

NFL 2k5 fanboi here as well. Nothing compares to the presentation and gameplay of that game. I do really, really like Madden 07 on Wii though. Amazing game, mostly because of the controls. I really wish it had the ESPN presentation - but that makes me feel bad about switching to EA =(

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited November 2006
    So, which position is the most fun to play as in Superstar mode?

I don't want to be QB because I play as QB all the time otherwise, so what else is fun?

Menace on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited January 2007
    Super Bump!

I just figured out today that holding C and Z after a play (during a cutscene type thing) brings up instant replay without going through the menu.

This leads me to believe that there must be a button combination for calling a timeout. Has anyone found it yet?

Menace on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's a hell of a lot harder to hit stick/truck people because you have to actually make a hit motion with the controller while matching your guy up with the runner/defender. Catching is really easy though.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Menace wrote:
    This leads me to believe that there must be a button combination for calling a timeout. Has anyone found it yet?

Still haven't figured out the timeout...

I do know that hitting just C after a play will do a hurry-up into a spike. That one is a lot of fun to do by accident :?

I haven't been playing much, due to super swing golf.

coryj on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    my question: what are the madden cards? can I use them to unlock things like vintage teams?

and what is the playmaker thingy?

the instruction manual wasn't very good..the tutorials are, but they only cover the wii controls.

I'll answer that from 2004 (the last year the Packers were good).

Cards unlock special powers (like better catching) in some game mode that I've never played as well as unlocking vintage teams.

Playmaker controls on offense were things like adjusting a receiver's route or changing the direction of a play without changing for formation and bringing the 'backers up for a run or back into deeper coverage after the snap. They've probably expanded it quite a bit since 2004.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.