Options

Webcomic help

TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
I know these kinds of threads are fairly frowned upon, but I'm willing to take the risk for a little criticism and feedback. My friend and I have been working on a webcomic for 2.5 months (she does the art, I do the writing), and I'm seriously dying for some feedback. So far all I have to go on is what a few of my friends think of the comic, and while I'm grateful for their support, I'm a little nervous about emperor's-new-robe-syndrome (i.e. my friends are just being nice). I'll post what I think are some of our best comics, and hopefully, if you would all be so kind, you'll help me figure out how to improve, or tell me if I'm doing anything right. I'm interested in the full spectrum of criticism here; writing, art, font, color, love, hate, life, death, you know, the whole deal.

I have my own concerns about the quality of the comic, but I'll wrap those in a nice little spoiler box at the end of the post, so as not to taint your opinion of the comic too soon.

2008-06-20-struggle.jpg

2008-05-30-metrics.jpg

2008-07-01-fan.jpg

2008-06-06-thequad.jpg

2008-07-11-cookie.jpg

Writing-wise, obviously my first concern is whether the comic is funny or not (as the writer, it's kind of hard to tell. I'm pretty much running on intuition here). Stemming from that, I think the dialogue is too wordy/jammed up sometimes, I'm nervous about the absence of a central theme, and I have a nagging concern that it's too much of a vanity strip. My desire is for anyone with a similar sense of humor to mine to be able to appreciate the strip, but the worry is that my friends have an easier time getting it because they have more background on the characters (the comic is only semi-autobiographical, but you get the idea).

As for the art, I don't really know what to say. Overall I'm very happy with it, but I'm no artist, so my happiness is more "hurrrrrrrrr pretty" rather than any actual critical insight. The only things that I can think to say is that I'm not thrilled with the reusing/copy-pasting of some art, and there are occasionally issues with the word balloons.

Thanks so much in advance for any opinions/advice, it is vastly appreciated.

TehChowd on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They're usually frowned upon because they're usually half-assed piles of poo.

I am not frowning.

MKR on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    They're usually frowned upon because they're usually half-assed piles of poo.

I am not frowning.

Quote of the week.

I'm no writer but I definately found the writing stronger than the art, and considering the art is pretty solid you can take that as a compliment, a big one!

The real thing I found lacking with the art is that the expressions don't seem to come across as well as I think they should. I'm thinking it may be more to do with the composition than the actual art though, they just don't seem as instantly obvious as they should.

Mustang on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What font do you use? I quite like it. Have to second what mustang said abotu expressions, sometimes they just don't hit the mark.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think the second to last comic would be better without the girl's word bubble in the last panel. Probably just opinion though

I'd read it!

RubberAC on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like them. looked at your website and i find the art good, and the writing quite funny.

Although your 'Point/counterpoint' comic, i thought frame 1, at first glance was a reporter in front of a nuclear explosion.

2008-07-18-captplanet.jpg

Very nice. You have yourselves another reader here :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for all the compliments guys, they mean a lot. I consider the posters here to be the toughest critics that I know of, and the fact that you're not all like "GRR YOUR COMIC IS THE WORST AND IT BELONGS IN HELL WITH YOU AND YOUR MOM" is a good sign I think.

Plufim, I will find out what the font is for you. All I know is that we used to use a different font, and it was horrible so Dana (the artist) found a new one with her artist-powers.

Winter Combat Knight, I laugh every time I look at point/counterpoint now.

Thanks for the input about the character expressions too. I will keep that in mind in future scripts, and will pass the word along to the artist as well.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy fuck i laughed out loud at work at the fanfic one

these are fantastic!
    for the art, some of the line art is a little thin, darken up the lines a little, i'm looking in particular at panel one of comic one. You need to draw more attention to the characters, and have the settings be secondary unless the setting is more crucial to the strip than the characters, which in all of these cases, it is not.

but definitely a big thumbs up from me, i really enjoy reading these :D

beavotron on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    Holy fuck i laughed out loud at work at the fanfic one

these are fantastic!
    for the art, some of the line art is a little thin, darken up the lines a little, i'm looking in particular at panel one of comic one. You need to draw more attention to the characters, and have the settings be secondary unless the setting is more crucial to the strip than the characters, which in all of these cases, it is not.

but definitely a big thumbs up from me, i really enjoy reading these :D

edit: oh god this is amazing:
    2008-06-17-night.jpg

man all these great comic postings lately make me want to find a good writer so's i can illustrate a comic.

do you all love how instead of pressing "edit" i pressed "quote"? i also love that.
    i am such a noob when i'm at work
    it's like i lose all my internet cred
    i actually search using yahoo while i'm here.

beavotron on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    that last comic is me to a T
    love the art. Writing is solid. Good job!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You should get the artist in here so we can laud you both equally.

MKR on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah this thing is pretty awesome right here.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TehChowd wrote: »
    2008-06-06-thequad.jpg

This one right here made my day.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TehChowd wrote: »
    Plufim, I will find out what the font is for you. All I know is that we used to use a different font, and it was horrible so Dana (the artist) found a new one with her artist-powers.

It's Creative Block from Blambot. It's the one I used to use, and my favorite of his dialogue fonts--for a humor comic at least.

Also, comic is good. I second the motion to get the artist in here. My reactions so far have ranged from mild amusement to large grin. My fav of which so far has been the Cap'n Planet one. Some of the writing feels a little wordy too me; I think you might be able to rely on the visuals for some of the info and emotions described in the text. Or even if some of the larger blocks of text were broken down to multiple linked balloons. That way the reader's eye is moved through the image better.

These are definitely going in the right direction, though. I fucking love the sleeping cat, and I'm sure one'll break out a full audible laugh from me.

Which is difficult for net-based stuff to do. Seanbaby's SuperFriends pages being the most memorable exception.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I wince every time I see the word "webcomic" in a thread title here

and you have proven me wrong for doing so

these are fantastic

the art is excellent, the writing is fantastic, and you've got a knack for delivery

keep it up

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    danatrondanatron Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    hi...i'm dana. i drew the comics. thanks for all your feedback, it's very much appreciated.

i've gotten criticism on pushing the facial expressions from other people as well, and it's definitely something i'm working on. i also agree that i need to pay attention to the line consistency... not a huge deal but something that should be addressed. i guess one of the things that i'm more concerned about artistically is the strength of the paneling/layout of each comic.. i'm an animator so i thought this project would help out with my boarding skills.

i don't have much comic drawing experience nor do i read a lot of comics, so it's good to hear from people who are probably more familiar with the medium than me.

danatron on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the Avery age 2 one, but I think it would have been better if you hadn't used the same pose for little Avery in the second frame. It would have made the whole thing a little bit more dynamic.

I'll check the rest of you guys' comics tomorrow. That's a compliment.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    beavotron wrote: »

2008-06-17-night.jpg

Haha, this is me EVERY weekend.

I think you guys have got me as a regular reader, that's only happened with one other comic on here.

Mustang on
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How surprisingly it is to find a webcomic that isn't two guys trying to rip off whatever comic the forum they're on belongs to. Serious, very nice art - writing isn't bad. To be honest I added it to my favorites, and when I have more time I plan on running through the archive.

Thumbs up!

falconire on
  • Options
    8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Really nice! It's not that often that I see a webcomic with the writing and art such a level that having a separate writer and artist makes sense... but yeah, quality stuff as far as I'm concerned.

The only con that really stood out for me was the profile shot in the second panel of the first comic... it just didn't really feel up to par with the rest of the work. Of course profiles are always difficult, particularly with pseudo-realistic comic drawing... partly because they're rarely used so the rules for tweaking it to work haven't been firmly established... and partly because it's the one time you have to actually deal with the thin neck without just obscuring it's source.

Since I'm feel stupid saving you should fix something without even knowing if I could pull it off myself, I tried a little sketch of your character in profile mode... it's not very refined... but at least it's a view on how someone else would do it.. so it might be helpful.
    profliethingbe0.png
    I of course deal with the issue in my own work by... rarely drawing realistically at all, so on that level you're ahead of me anyway... by... uh... I don't remember where I was going with that thought.

But anyway.

Again, very nice work, and as with anyone doing good work I'm sure it will only get better.
    Oh, one other thing though... the "previous" and "next" buttons on the site seem a little small... it's a little complaint (ohhh... pun) but if it was just taller or something I think navigation would feel smoother.

PS: Hey, we use the same font! :D

8BitLoser on
    iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
    In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wow, thanks again everyone for the compliments. It means a lot to have total strangers give even meager praise to anything artistic, and Danatron and I are vastly greatful for your praise, advice, and encouragement.

@ ManonvonSuperock: I'm glad you noticed that about the writing. It once of my larger concerns about the quality of the scripts. I haven't quite got the hang of sensing "frames of time" appropriately, and combined with an urge to over-stuff dialogue with jokes, some of the dialogue comes out really poorly in my opinion. It's interesting that you mention that Captain Planet comic as your favorite, because that's maybe the first strip that I really paired down the dialogue content and let it stand at basically one joke. I was nervous about posting it up on the site because it was so short comparatively, but I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on it. I would say an unusual amount of good feedback actually, so I'll take that as good sign.

To help get my dialogue-ing right, I've been storyboarding my strips out more often, and also trying to make a habit of reading the dialogue out loud. I feel personally that it's making a difference, though none of those scripts have been drawn yet, so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

@ Falconire: The rest of our comics are about 2 roommates who play a lot of video games and disagree in opinion sometimes. Also, they have a talking xbox that enjoys booze and foul language. How's that for a solid, original premise?

@ 8bitloser: First off, let me say that your webcomic is very good. You have slick presentation and artwork, and I'm a little jealous of your site design. Also, your "Watchmeh" comic was really great and I'm pretty pissed that I didn't come up with that idea first. I especially like the logo at the end. Nice job catching the goofy neck in that comic too. I probably never would have noticed that. See the bullet below for comments on site design.

@ Those who have visited the site: I was wondering what you all thought of the overall layout. I (predictably) have mixed feelings. I think the color scheme is pretty so-so/good, and the overall layout is okay, but I have this odd sense of everything being out of scale. I think by that I mean a lot of the fonts are too small compared to the massive holding boxes/logo/comic, but I'm not entirely sure.

From the logo to the bottom nav buttons I think works okay, it's the news section that I think looks horrible-ish. Also, I've been thinking about redoing the logo and nav buttons and links, making them all images instead of text links. On a scale of one-to-ten (ten being most urgent), how badly does that need to get done?

Thanks again for all the previous compliments, especially those who promised to keep reading.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    IRT the website: the only thing that doesn't sit right with me is the font of the text, maybe try Arial or Verdana or something. Banner looks nice enough and the font of the comics gets the job done as well.

Aldo on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the look of the main characters, but I'm not sure about the "extra" people. The Mom in the cookie-monster comic and the fan-fic girl both look different from the other characters -- their smoother lines make them almost seem clip-art, compared to the sketchy-look of the main 2. Yet the comic book guy in the 1st comic looks more like the main characters. I'm not sure if it's a conscious decision or not, but I could see it going either way -- have the comic focus on the 2 main characters and have "other" people be drawn in the smoother look, to make them stand out as "different," or push the sketchier style to everyone.

"The Quad" is pretty win and only has 3 relatively small text balloons, and two panels with no dialog at all. It's OK to be a "talky" comic -- Achewood is successful in many ways despite, or perhaps because of, having lots of dialog. And I'd argue that you're not too talky.

It actually took me a short while to find the navigation buttons on the home page, since they're small and plain text.

Some of the comics that are up on the site definitely have the feel that they came more from an animator than a comic writer, simply because the frame looks like it's written with movement in mind, but since it doesn't actually move, it's not very dynamic. The "junior's department" and "floorpunch cowboy 2" ones stand out as having a lot of dialog and the idea that, hey, these people should be moving, but since they're one panel, they don't really work. For example, the floorpunch cowboy 2 one would probably work better if you cut the second thought balloon, added a panel with the girl walking away and looking over her shoulder suspiciously, and then a 3rd panel with her at the t-shirt booth asking to buy 3 shirts. Or something like that.

But even that's a pretty minor thing. Overall I'll echo people above -- it's good stuff.

edit: in the 2nd comic, it's the 3rd level of battletoads that is impossible. for some people.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    velcroshoesvelcroshoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    can you suggest to your artist to tone down the tongue...? I think a lot of the panels of people speaking look like they've got a monster tongue just jammed into their mouth that can barely be contained.

velcroshoes on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rhia sent me here, and I have to say, I am absolutely sold.

This is fantastic.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sorry for the late response, and thanks again for all your help and praise.

@ Aldo: The font we're using now is georgia for the site-text. I think it it looks okay myself, though I'll admit it is occasionally very ugly because of goofy numeral placement and all the serifs (that's what the little "wings" on letters are called, right?) I'm not married to the font by any means, and will definitely play with some new fonts when we make some other improvements to the site (fixing nav buttons, etc). Do you have any recommendations besides arial or verdana? Also, do you mind elaborating on why the font didn't sit well with you? Just general ugliness, or is there something more specific we could keep in mind while looking for a new one?

@ Eggytoast:
    eggytoast wrote:
    I like the look of the main characters, but I'm not sure about the "extra" people. The Mom in the cookie-monster comic and the fan-fic girl both look different from the other characters -- their smoother lines make them almost seem clip-art, compared to the sketchy-look of the main 2. Yet the comic book guy in the 1st comic looks more like the main characters. I'm not sure if it's a conscious decision or not, but I could see it going either way -- have the comic focus on the 2 main characters and have "other" people be drawn in the smoother look, to make them stand out as "different," or push the sketchier style to everyone.

I think I understand this comment, but I'm not artistically smart enough to comment intelligently. I will pass it along to the artist. On a rough tangent to this though, we've recently added glasses to Colin (visible in the point/counterpoint comic a few posts up). My reasoning was is that he looked a little generic before and even the small amount of detail and black color makes him stand out a bit better. Agree/disagree/apathy?
    eggytoast wrote:
    "The Quad" is pretty win and only has 3 relatively small text balloons, and two panels with no dialog at all. It's OK to be a "talky" comic -- Achewood is successful in many ways despite, or perhaps because of, having lots of dialog. And I'd argue that you're not too talky.

If my writing was as good as Achewood's, I wouldn't living in my parents' attic, surrounded by empty cherry 7up cans, Gamestop bags, and a few boxes of oreos (obviously I would be in my own attic instead. Oh, and maybe I'd be eating those classy organic oreos from Whole Foods too).

How I took ManonvonSuperock's comment was not that I'm being too wordy, as well-executed wordiness can be awesome (see Achewood, dinosaur comics, etc), but that I'm jamming too much into each word balloon/moment. I think you sort of sensed the same thing in a few of the comics, like with the junior's department and Floorpunch Cowboy 2.

Incidentally, I found your comment about those two comics to be fairly insightful. I had written them as single-panel comics to try and cut the artist a break, but you're definitely right in that they both would have worked better as multi-panel comics.

Of course, as I type I've actually been thinking of Battletoads and that speeder level. I guess it's "technically" the third level. It's been years since I've played it, but doesn't it go: Above-ground level, underground level, then at the "end" of the underground level, don't you hop on the bikes? I'd always thought of it as a continuation of the 2nd level, since you stay underground, but you're definitely right because it's clearly distinct from the preceding beat-em-up section.

@velcroshoes: Yeah, now that I look at it, some of the characters have "muppet-mouth" here and there. Will pass it along.

@notacrook: I have no idea who Rhia is, but thank him/her for me (thanks for the compliments too).

@Those who have visited the site: The bottom nav buttons are now a high-ish priority to be fixed. I was thinking of making them into arrows that will have the same squeezetube look as the main logo. I wanted to ask also, what do you guys think of nav arrows being added to the top of the comic too? Achewood and XKCD do it, and I think it works well for them. I was just thinking that 1/3-to-1/2 the issue people are having with the nav links is besides being small, they're kind of hidden beneath the comic.

Also, after all the wonderful feedback I got here, I'm going to try and re-enable user commenting on the site. I have to survive upgrading my wordpress and comicpress files first, but I wanted to thank everyone who posted here again for giving me a lot more faith in the comic.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Do you have any recommendations besides arial or verdana? Also, do you mind elaborating on why the font didn't sit well with you? Just general ugliness, or is there something more specific we could keep in mind while looking for a new one?

I don't have any other suggestions, but generally I prefer neutral modern ones over faux-classic stuff. Which is also my main complaint, it's a font that's trying too hard to look like something from a few decades ago.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Erik the HackErik the Hack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I'll add to the chorus as well. This is a well done web comic. You know your audience and the humor is spot on for your readers. The artwork really isn't to my taste, but that's more of a personal preference thing than a crit of your artist; it's very well drawn, just not my thing stylistically.

I'd say you having growing popularity dead ahead! 8-)

Erik the Hack on
    sig1.gifsig2.gif
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like it :) and I added it to my bookmarks after reading the archive.

I think both the writing and the art are quite good. My only problem is I don't like how big the characters heads are...but that might just be because I hate those Bratz "dollz". I personally like if their heads were just a little bit smaller, but still bigger than normal.

Since it's easier for me to show that tell here's what I mean:

2008-08-01-argue2.jpg

Here's the original for comparison
    2008-08-01-argue.jpg

Anyway...I don't know if anyone else agrees with me. Also, I looked back through the comic to see if everyone's head is quite that big. It seems like a some of the one-shot characters they aren't quite as big.

Regardless, I really do like both the art and the writing quite a bit!

Thylacine on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why do you break your lines around your characters?

Is that a stylistic choice or do you think it makes your figures easier to read?

Personally i think it would look a lot better if you kept the background fluid and together.

DeeLock on