As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What portable 250+ gig hard drive with no ac power cord should I buy?

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
Want something portable that doesn't need to be plugged into the wall. Smaller the better.

Single USB power possible?

What do you say?

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Want something portable that doesn't need to be plugged into the wall. Smaller the better.

What do you say?

2.5" external drive might be able to pull it off with USB-power only, some ask for two plugs just in case though.

1.8" definitely but I don't know if they come in 250GB size yet.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

What do you say?

2.5" external drive might be able to pull it off with USB-power only, some ask for two plugs just in case though.

1.8" definitely but I don't know if they come in 250GB size yet.

250GB 1.8" drives were *just* announced.

Most 2.5" external drives can be powered by USB only. I have one, and it has a 2 USB plug cable. With some computers 1 plug works, with some it needs 2.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any good brands or models?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a WD Passport that seems decent, though ironically I bought based on brand/model recognition. Not bad, you might think, but this particular piece of recognition comes from a student bringing a dead one into my IT dept.

But so far it's holding out and I use it constantly. Just one USB cable too.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i second the passport. i have the 250gig too. it's great. the cord it comes with is only one plug and sorta short, about a foot. i've never had a problem with any computer not recognizing the drive because of insufficient power, but problems may arise if you use a longer/non-bundled cord.

i recommend it. the newer revisions have nicer casing and a slide cover for the port rather than a rubber flap, both nice.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I also second the Passport. I use it for storage on my laptop. It works like a charm. I have the 320gig one.

Talkc on