As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D&D House Rules Thread

DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Critical Failures
I thought this would be a good idea for a thread. Basically there are lots of little quirks in D20, and all DMs have their own ways of dealing with them and just general new rules they put in place that make sense. I'm sure there are a ton of cool house rules people have come up with that really enhance the game, so post your house rules here.

To get things started:

DVG's House Rules

Rule 0 - I am free to change anything from any published source that suits the needs of the story. This includes but not limited to the core rules, supplements, campaign settings, novels and the internet.

DM Fiat - This is sort of an addendum to DM Rule 0. I may at any time "cheat" the rules of the game in order to progress the plot or make some other planned circumstance come about. This may include "Save DC Plot Device" type situations and any other situation where the needs of the story outweigh the needs of the dice. However, in any case when the DM Fiat rule is used, all affected PCs will recieve a bonus action point.

Character Generation - PCs will be generated using the point buy system. For Eberron you get 30 points, for Forgotten Realms you get 35 points. These numbers were decided upon based on the relative power levels of the worlds.

Action Points - All D&D Campaigns will include Action Points as per the Eberron Campaign Setting. Action Point related feats are also allowed in any campaign I run. In addition to the normal functions of action points, you may also spend them in order to find clues or hints in mental challenges.

Pre-Casting a Spell - Any spell with verbal/somatic components may be cast ahead of time, leaving only the last word or gesture in their casting. You may then complete the casting as an immediate action (even if it is not your turn). You must finish casting the spell within 3 rounds of the pre-casting or the spell is lost.

Hit Point Generation - First character level hit points are always at maximum. There are two options for hit points on subsequent character levels, you can roll your hit die, or you take 75%. of the maximum hit points, rouned down. (d4 = 3, d6 = 4, d8 = 6, d10 = 7, d12 = 9).

The Fumble Rule - On a attack roll of 1 you risk fumbling your weapon. You must make a dex check DC 8 or drop your weapon. If your are attacking with a unarmed strike, slam or other natural weapon you instead provoke an attack of opportunity.

Calling your God - In a world like Eberron, calling your God never works. In a world like Forgotten Realms where there is no question on the existance of gods, you may attempt to call your god once per day. On a d100 result of 100, your god hears you and will intervene on your behalf. If you are in the god's favor through special service or worship this range extends from 95-100.

Partially Charged Wands - In any town where the GP limit allows you may purchase partially charged wands. Take the base cost of the wand divided by 50 to find out the per charge price.

Flaws and Traits - Are allowed within the normal restrictions. I have created one additional flaw as follows:

Clumsy
Effect: Your range for critical failure on a attack roll doubles. IE you fail on 1 or 2.
Special: You may take this flaw twice, making yoru critical failure range 1 to 4.

Spell Points - This variant rule is available and encouraged for all casting classes. IF you are running a non-core casting class, see me and will will determine your base spell points. If you choose to stick with the normal method of casting, that option is still available to you.

Leveling up - When you gain a level, you immediately gain access to new hit points/feats/etc. If your a spellcaster who prepares spells, then you may spend an hour preparing spells for those spell slots, although you do not regain spells previously cast. Spontaneous spellcasters may use new spell slots immediately. If you are using spell points, you gain new points immediately and may use them whenever you like. You may spend one hour memorizing new spells into any new spell slots you have.

Favored Classes - All races will be considered to have "Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass character takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count."

The Fun Combat Rule - Combat should be fun. It's boring to sit back and say "I roll a 17. Do I hit? Alright... 4 damage" over and over again. Taking the initiative to spice things up is encouraged and may be rewarded. In a situation where you describe your action in a cool way or do something especially interesting, you may recieve a temporary action point.

Bonus XP - Roleplaying is just as important as fighting. We're telling an interactive story here, so roleplaying in and out of combat, as well as on the Forum will result in Bonus XP. Other bonus XP will be given out on an individual basis for anything that player did to help make the session better. This might include exceptional roleplaying, coming up with a great idea to solve a riddle or puzzle.

Mental Challenges - Combat and Traps are not the only way the PCs are challenged. You will often find yourselves faced with mysteries, puzzles and riddles which your PCs will have to bypass in order to progress down a particular plot line.

PC Death - If a PC dies, they may be raised as per the rules, or a new PC can be generated at one level less than your original PC with standard character wealth for that level.

New Characters And Late Arrivals - If you grow bored with your character or just want to try something new you have in mind, you may roll up the new character at one level behind the party average level. If you come to the campaign after the start, you may generate a character at one level behind the party average level. In both cases you get standard character wealth for the level you enter the game at.

Starting Gold and Equipment - If you are starting your character at level 1, then you get the maximum gold for your chosen class and may spend it in any way you desire. Above first level, standard character wealth for that level, and no single item can cost more than 50% of your total wealth.

No Micromanagement... almost - While in town, the amount of money it costs for food and lodging quickly becomes trivial. (By level 2 you have more than enough resources to stay for an extended period of time). Therefore I will not require tracking of what everyone is eating everyday or where you are staying and how much it costs. While out traveling or while on an adventure where survival is focused on specifically, it is a different story.

Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
FFTSig.jpg
DeVryGuy on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    Hit Point Generation - First character level hit points are always at maximum. There are two options for hit points on subsequent character levels, you can roll your hit die, or you take 75%. of the maximum hit points, rouned down. (d4 = 3, d6 = 4, d8 = 6, d10 = 7, d12 = 9).

I used a house rule where everyone got max hitpoints, but in return I got to throw tons of random mooks and henchmen at them. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My houserules generally boil down to this:

"Powergame and Metagame all you want. Just keep in mind, I can Powergame better than you can."

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    Pre-Casting a Spell - Any spell with verbal/somatic components may be cast ahead of time, leaving only the last word or gesture in their casting. You may then complete the casting as an immediate action (even if it is not your turn). You must finish casting the spell within 3 rounds of the pre-casting or the spell is lost.

This amuses me because it's what wizards already do. Read their spell memorization bit sometime. "I'm pre-pre-casting my spell!" Also, your wording may be a bit off here. You can't take an immediate action until you're not flat-footed. (Yes, Shock and Awe is an impossible to use spell, don't blame me.)

No love for the rogues? Really IMO d6 classes get standard 1/2+1 while everybody else (notably the d8 superclasses) get an extra hp hurts what are already the weaker classes (or rewards the strongest classes, take your pick.)
    Partially Charged Wands - In any town where the GP limit allows you may purchase partially charged wands. Take the base cost of the wand divided by 50 to find out the per charge price.

Does anybody ever use scrolls? If so, why?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's two we always use in pretty much every campaign I've ever been involved in:

Encumbrance is dumb. Micromanagement of carrying weight, except in a campaign build around barely surviving, is just silly, and doesn't make the game more fun. We don't use it, ever, although generally the DM will say when carrying something around is clearly unreasonable.

Experience points are dumb. Again. Micromanagement of something that should just be fun. We give out levels every few games, or, early on, after a particularily taxing battle/session. Risk and roleplaying are rewarded, but the group we play with has been together so long that everyone pretty much always puts their all into it. Generally, we don't have a clue how much XP anyone has (strangely, item creation has never really come up).

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote:

This amuses me because it's what wizards already do. Read their spell memorization bit sometime. "I'm pre-pre-casting my spell!" Also, your wording may be a bit off here. You can't take an immediate action until you're not flat-footed. (Yes, Shock and Awe is an impossible to use spell, don't blame me.)

This is something I remembered from earlier editions of the game and always liked, so I house ruled it in, not knowing if still existed anywhere. I suppose it's kind of like a contingency spell more than anything.

No love for the rogues? Really IMO d6 classes get standard 1/2+1 while everybody else (notably the d8 superclasses) get an extra hp hurts what are already the weaker classes (or rewards the strongest classes, take your pick.)

You may have a point here. We were running a rule where you take 1/2 hd +1, which meant that d4 classes got 75% of their hit point max while a d12 class got only 58% of their potential. I chose to normalize it across the board as fairly as possible.

1. Scribing a scroll is still cheaper than buying a single charge wand
    2. Wands max out at spell level 4, scrolls do not.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    This is something I remembered from earlier editions of the game and always liked, so I house ruled it in, not knowing if still existed anywhere. I suppose it's kind of like a contingency spell more than anything.

It just struck me that the flavor is exactly the same as memorization.
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    You may have a point here. We were running a rule where you take 1/2 hd +1, which meant that d4 classes got 75% of their hit point max while a d12 class got only 58% of their potential. I chose to normalize it across the board as fairly as possible.

I suppose you could allow 'fractional' hp's that add up after two levels but that might just be a headache. Though I'll point out you're giving rogues and bards only 66% of the potential while the next lowest is a full 70%...
    DeVryGuy wrote:

1. Scribing a scroll is still cheaper than buying a single charge wand
    2. Wands max out at spell level 4, scrolls do not.

Doesn't apply to staves then? Still a little surprised that, for example, your rogues don't go around coughing up the 420 gp for a single use of greater invis that only requires a DC 20 UMD check. Perhaps I'm just more of a jerk than your players.

Hmm....on the cost of a single use scroll; I'm pretty free with XP in exchange for swag but I'm not certain I'd be willing to use an XP for the equivalent of 2.5 gp in gain.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote:

I suppose you could allow 'fractional' hp's that add up after two levels but that might just be a headache. Though I'll point out you're giving rogues and bards only 66% of the potential while the next lowest is a full 70%...

I suppose that's true, I might consider a revision of this.
    d6 - Even Levels 4 hp, Odd Levels 5 hp
    d10 - Even Levels 7 hp, Odd Levels 8 hp

That would make it an even 75% for everyone straight across the board.

DeVryGuy on
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    Alexan DriteAlexan Drite Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I sent out this long letter just before I started my current campaign a few months ago. It basically gave the house rules for the campaign.
    Rule 1 I'm not always perfect:
    If you find I make a mistake, mechanically, after the fact, you may bring this to my attention. If I agree it was an error, If it's after the round this has happened (such as a combat rule), I will not change the effect, but I'll reflect this in an XP award equal to 25xp x level to the player or players who pointed this out. If we're able to back it up (such as it's the same round), the effect will be changed.
    This is done so that players have an incentive to better understand the rules. But note, I have to AGREE with the decision, and you have to point out, why RULES AS WRITTEN, you are correct. I always have the right to houserule the decision, and if this ends up slowing the game down or what not, I may revoke this right at any time.

Note this isn't a large reward, and if it's something that YOU forgot, (for instance, forgetting to add concealment to AC against a reach weapon.), well sucks to be you. Also, since I'll roll most of my stuff behind a screen it may be hard for you to justify some of these.
    Despite how it would appear, this rule has not significantly hurt or helped the game. A player has admitted to making mistakes such as (the spell range on that is too short to have hit at this level), or (you could have made a strength check there to move), and when I remembered I would add xp where appropriate. I'm the one with the most knowledge of game mechanics so I rarely flub up. The best time to write this down is on their RP XP Card that is turned in at the end of the session.

Rule 2: Character Creation
    Alignment
    Because I encourage the development of roleplaying and personality, I'll allow players to choose their characters' alignments from the entire alignment spectrum. Players should still be aware of the possibility for IC conflict, however, and the most successful characters of non-traditional alignments do so while making their characters able to co-exist with characters and a society that do not necessarily share their views.
    The party was greedy, evil, and chaotic at times, especially early on. They still need a swift kick to the head every now and then, but they're improving a bit. This hasn't been entirely bad, just harder.

Character Backgrounds/Histories:
    All characters submitted for play should include at least a brief background describing where the character is from, what kind of family he was brought up in, and other details. If you include some regional-specific information, you may find it used in adventures involving your character at a later date. However, I prefer more believable backgrounds over outlandish works of fiction--a 1st-level character can only have accomplished so much to this point, after all--and overused cliches such as amnesia, orphanage, star-crossed loves, divine destiny, melodrama, etc. should be avoided. Also, please try to proofread your histories, or at least run it through a spellcheck, as this will aid greatly in approval.
    There are two sets of players at the table. The ones I sat down with and worked out a fleshed out back story that fit the world, and everyone else. Most of the characters that were not very well thought out were eventually abandoned.

Character Descriptions: Characters should have descriptions that fit with the setting. This includes such things as hair colors that are appropriate for their race, and clothing that is appropriate for their jobs.

I will start characters at 2 and will allow most all Level Adjustment
    characters. No, you can't be an Anthropomorphic baleen Whale, or bat,
    or half-ogre. ECL rules apply as normal, and you can be up to an ECL+2.
    There has yet to be any issue regarding this, though no one has taken an ECL adjusted race.

Ability Scores:
    I'm using the Point Buy system (see DMG p.169) for determining ability scores at creation. Each character is alloted 32 points to spend via this system.
    If you choose to you may instead use the 4d6 system, or the 1d20 1d4 system.
    Some of the characters were a little strong from exceptional rolls, though it's not that big of a deal. Initially I enforced a 'you declare which stat you roll for first' on our d20/d4 system, but that was for the people who didn't know what they wanted to play. I have since dropped that requirement.

Starting Gold
    All characters start with average starting gold for their class (see PHB p.111). This makes things easier on the DMs and gives new characters some better options for starting equipment, all of which is bought from that gold.
    Characters in non-core classes receive starting gold as follows: Favored
    Soul 125 gp; Hexblade 100 gp; Scout 125 gp; Spellthief 125 gp; Spirit
    Shaman 50 gp; Swashbuckler 150 gp; Warlock 75 gp; Warmage 75 gp;
    Warrior 75 gp.
    No one played a non-core class so it didn't matter. Players were fine with this starting gold

Regional Feats
    A character may only take one regional feat, and it must be taken at 1st-level. Also, a clarification: regional feats are not free feats received alongside normal feats, but additional options that can be taken in place of a normal feat.
    One person took a regional feat, and it has not hurt the game play.

Regional Equipment
    At DM discretion, certain items may be changed to similar items to fit the proficiencies of the character in question. This equipment cannot be sold back at creation, and money cannot be taken instead; you either take one of the available packages or leave them all.
    The regional equipment really helped build better flavor for some of the characters and back story in others. One of the regions a player was from offered a Pistol for a weapon, so he grabbed the EWP relevant to that. Another explained how he was kicked from a school or enchanters, and that is why he carries a scroll of Daze Monster, despite not being able to cast it. This did not significantly affect game play since we started at level 2, and it was just a small bonus.

Partial BAB progression and Partial Save Progression is in effect.
    We have only one multiclass character at this point, and I was able to help him figure it out.

Divine Casters and Weapon Proficiency
    In the interests of class flavor, all divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, favored souls, paladins, and 4th-level rangers) are considered proficiency with their deity's favored weapon. If the character would not normally be proficient with their deity's favored weapon, s/he receives the appropriate Martial/Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for that weapon as a bonus feat. If the deity's favored weapon is "unarmed strike," the character receives Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. If the caster in question ever loses their deity's favor (read: loss of class skills), the bonus feat is also lost.
    This is a supernatural ability.
    The only divine caster is a druid, and he's doing other stuff half the time. Has not had any impact on the game

Sorcerer gets Heighten Spell and Eschew Materials for free at first
    level. Add Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate as class
    skills.
    The free metamagic feat did open up a few classes for the Sorcerer he would have otherwise had trouble getting into, but besides that it has had no significant impact.

Fixed Hit Points system, as explained on page 197 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Characters above 1st level gain average hit points for their HD, rounded down at every even level, and rounded up at every odd level.
    You know, I think I've been forgetting this. I'll have to go back and double check a few character sheets.

Rule 3 Sustenance and Minor Disposables
    For minor-but-regular costs such as food, shelter, and ale at the bar, there is no need to keep track of specific purchases. If your character prefers to live obviously beyond its means, the I may establish a regular cost for doing so.

For minor disposable items used on adventures, such as arrows, torches, rations, and the like, I only keep track within the context of each adventure. If you start with 20 arrows, for example, and use
    all 20 before you get to a shop, you're out of ammunition in the interim--but once you'd have a chance to resupply, we consider you resupplied up to the level noted on your sheet. This is to help us keep book-keeping to a minimum; anything that costs more than a gold piece (give or take), however, such as masterwork arrows or alchemicals, is kept track of as normal.
    This has not been that big of a deal.

Rule 4 Familiars
    On losing a familiar, you can choose not to attempt the Fortitude save at all. You automatically take the full XP hit, 200 points per level, but you can summon a new familiar as soon as possible thereafter instead of waiting the full year and a day. Further, if a normal specimen of your familiar (as per its entry in the appropriate sourcebook) would have higher maximum HP than the normal for a familiar (1/2 the master's), it instead has maximum HP as the normal specimen.

Unless you are using your Familiar it is assumed to just simply 'exist' hidden on your person. Taking it out of this space means I can attack it, but as long as its in your special spot, it can not be attacked, nor do anything useful (besides give the appropriate bonuses).
    Familiars can wear at least some items based on shape.
    A wizard almost lost his familiar a few times trying to use it as a scout, though they are rarely seen outside of rp purposes

Rule 5 Misc changes
    Magic Items - Staves, Wands, Scepters: These items can be recharged by a caster with the appropriate Item Creation feat, caster level, and spells. (That is, in order to recharge an item, you must be capable of making that item in the first place.) A minimum of 10 charges must be added, at a cost in time, gold, and XP proportional to the total cost of the wand, and recharging requires a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + item's caster level; failure by 5 or more forfeits half the raw materials and XP). NPCs do not typically provide this service.
    Not used yet

In addition I had a list of some minor changes to feats and prestige classes I did for campaign specific, balance purposes, added some spells to a spell list, and fixed some discrepancies, etc. Most of this was just name changes. The only thing the players picked on the list was Spellcasting Prodigy, which I fixed so that it affects both bonus spells per day AND save DC.

Rule 6 Death
    What happens when my character dies and I can't afford Res? Do I have
    to start over at level 1?

This depends. If the character was level 1 or 2 when it was killed,
    your next character will need to be made as per the normal character
    creation rules.

If the character was level 3 or higher when it died, and it cannot be
    raised for whatever reason (either you can't afford it, the character
    wouldn't want it, or something has happened to the body to keep it
    from being raised), you may make a new character at one level lower
    than the level of the dead character, just as if your old one had been
    raised. The new character begins with enough XP to put them halfway
    between their current level and the next, and receives 3/4 the
    appropriate gold for a character of that level (see Table 5-1, DMG
    p.135).

You may also, if you choose, make the character at any level between 1
    and the level indicated above. For instance, if your 7th-level
    character is killed, you could make a new character of any level
    between 1st and 6th.

Note: If the I believe that your character death was the result of a purposeful attempt to gain an advantageous rebuild, I will require that your next character be made as per the rules for Abandonment, as opposed to the rules for IC Death. If you don't like your character or its build, that's what this rule is there for.

Rule 7 Character abandonment
    What happens if I get sick of my character? Do I have to start over at level 1?

This also depends; I am understanding of the desire sometimes for a change of pace, but capricious abandoning of characters can hurt the flow of the game, and I wish to discourage that to some degree. As such, the rules for replacing an abandoned character are the same as those for replacing a dead one, and you receive only half of the abandoned character's XP for the purpose of making a new one.

This has been one of the most controversial rules, though players who have wanted to abandon their characters I have offered a few exceptions such as "if you choose to abandon it before next session, let me know and I'll kill off your character in story and you can safely come in with your next character." and "If you choose to make a new character using something that I have invented (such as wild mage), you may instead come in as if your character died. One of the players decided to ignore several opportunities to abandon without suffering as large a penalty, and dropped his Wizard. He took about a 4000 XP hit from that. Although he seems to be enjoying his new character

Rule 8 Outside Content
    I'm allowing most of the classes and feats and spells made by Rich Burlew, such as the Divine Trickster or Fey Druid.
    I'm also using the following rules:
    Diplomacy:
    http://giantitp.com/articles/jFppYwv7OUkegKhONNF.html
    Polymorph
    Instead of using the current wizard's errata, we'll be using Burlew's suggestions:
    http://giantitp.com/articles/dC21fDHZ4tK8n5OjUm9.html
    http://giantitp.com/articles/PbpHATjPkec7E82kEmo.html
    I have not had to deal with this.

Rule 9 Role playing XP:
    At the end of every session a player may optionally write down on a
    piece of paper and hand it over to me. It will give the name of a
    person they think was:
    A: The player who played the smartest, using the best tactics or
    strategies in or other out combat.
    B: The player who best played their character.
    C: The player who best interacted with YOUR character, not necessarily
    the best role player, but the one who forced you to better understand
    your character.
    D: The player who best kept the game moving along and together.
    Alternatively, you can write down people who where BAD at these things.

Based on these there will be a minor! reward of 10 xp per level for the first recommendation.
    Two recommendations gives 20 xp per level, three give 40 xp per level. This progresses at a 2^(N-1)*10 xp per level progression. Players can only receive up to 100 xp per level from this total for the night.
    Players attempting to cheat the system, vote for themselves, or otherwise abuse this will lose experience.

You can nominate a person more then once. You have to give a one sentence or two explanation for why you think so. Not just "He did awesome tonight."
    Negative Nominations will never cause a player go to below 0, but will counter a positive nomination in another part.
    You don't have to fill out all the nominations, just the ones you think are appropriate.
    It is COMPLETELY optional.

I think this has gone very well, and has saved me from having to do RP experience. Several of the players feel that the optionality of this ruins their chance for xp when others don't do it, and some feel I should give out RP xp in addition. I'm not a fan of RP xp, but the players were demanding it, and I feel this adds to the game without too much more work on my part.

Rule 10 Use your Character Name
    When Taking actions, always say your character name (and try to keep notes as well of things that have been said).
    Some of you might think this is dumb, but it helps everyone remember
    the names better.
    I need to enforce this more

Rule 11 Be prepared!
    I'm going to need you to have spell cards, a well written inventory, copies of special conditions and rules that will come up often, and I'm going to need to fill out a sheet with your common stats on it.

Here is a good PDF filled with skills and actions:
    http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Skills_Actions.pdf
    If your character TRIPS a lot, or tries to BULL RUSH a lot, print out a copy of the appropriate page. This applies to skill checks as well, such as complex uses of a skill, riding a horse, etc. If you have RANKS in the skill, or if you have the appropriate feat, make sure you have a copy of the rules IF you plan on using the skill for that purpose.
    I don't want people going, "IS the spellcraft check on identifying a spell 10+spell level? Or is it 15+spell level?"
    This includes the MODIFIED rules for Diplomacy and polymorph.

Secondly, if you want to do an action in combat, or else where, which you don't have in front of you. I'm going to ask you, "What happens?". If you get it wrong, the action automatically fails.
    This is done to A: speed it up, and B: Teach the rules better.
    If you want to do a certain thing, have the PHB ready, with the rule
    ready if you don't have the rule already printed out. I don't want to stop the game unless it is a situation you can take 10 or 20 on. If you can take ten (And not because some feat or class skill or something lets you do it when you normally can't) I'll allow you to slow the game down.

This does not count when I say, "make a _" or "You may attempt to do _" or something along the lines. I'm not trying to be a dick with the rules, I just want the game to go faster and not get slowed down by looking through 18 books to find out how something works.

IN the earlier sessions I was lax with this rule, but then I started to enforce it as we went. The wizards are upset they can't just stop the game for 10 minutes finding their spell. I have trimmed back the requirements a bit and said, "you can simply right down the PAGE NUMBER on a sheet of paper for your less commonly done actions and spells."

Rule 12 The Ten Second rule
    If you're taking too long I'm going to start counting to ten. If I reach it you delay your action.
    I've done this only once and it pissed the player off, because he didn't know what was going on.

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't run often, but when I did I only had a couple houserules.

1. Natural spell does not exist.
    2. Divine metamagic cannot be used to cast a spell that would occupy a spell slot higher than one you could normally cast.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A couple of minor changes I've made:

*Tumble is a class skill for fighters.
    *Knowledge (dungeoneering) is a class skill for rogues.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One of mine:

"Your character does not have amnesia."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Juergen HubertJuergen Hubert Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Personally, I am a fairly lazy guys when it comes to rules - I spend enough time with learning the existing rules and hesitate to add new complexities to them.

That being said, I did work out some rules for running and joining organizations and secret societies based on the d20 Modern Wealth rules.

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Arkady wrote:
    2. Divine metamagic cannot be used to cast a spell that would occupy a spell slot higher than one you could normally cast.

Doesn't metamagic work like that anyway?

Echo on
  • Options
    Juergen HubertJuergen Hubert Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Horseshoe wrote:
    One of mine:

"Your character does not have amnesia."

I wish one of the PCs in my campaigns would have amnesia.

But I guess by now my players know better than throw me such a bone... ;)

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Arkady wrote:

Regular metamagic, yes. "Divine metamagic," the feat out of complete divine says otherwise and it is the main thing that takes clerics from powerful to broken, in my opinion. Being able to have DF, DP, and RM all up all day is the primary reason clerics melee better than most melee fighters.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Arkady wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Arkady wrote:

Regular metamagic, yes. "Divine metamagic," the feat out of complete divine says otherwise and it is the main thing that takes clerics from powerful to broken, in my opinion. Being able to have DF, DP, and RM all up all day is the primary reason clerics melee better than most melee fighters.
    And that's after the Errata folks. Though most Clerics go, "But to get Divine Metamagic Quickening (or persistent) I must burn 4 feats and can't use Cha as a dump stat."

Before the Errata you could Apply A divine Metamagic feat that you don't have to know, to spells that may be arcane or divine, that you may or may not have cast.
    Arkady's solution is the most common, thought usually results in players not even going for the feat.

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like to house rule in the WoWd20 Tinker class, as well as Hero Points or whatever they're called from the same (basically Action Points on crack. Awesome things like spending a point to temporarily take control of the narrative is the best thing ever.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    WoWd20 Tinker class

Heard of it but haven't gotten to read it yet... is it that good?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Horseshoe wrote:
    WoWd20 Tinker class

I dunno how comparatively powerful it is, but I love the flavor of WoW-style technology.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Horseshoe wrote:
    WoWd20 Tinker class

I dunno how comparatively powerful it is, but I love the flavor of WoW-style technology.

Yes, exactly. I like the Warcraft tech and I'm intrigued by the idea of a class that is based around it.

I should've been more specific: Not really interested in "power" so much as having a neat alternative class. I'm wondering about the type of stuff that tinkers can make, and sort of how the crafting works. Maybe just a couple of examples of functions that tinker items can perform.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Horseshoe wrote:
    Horseshoe wrote:
    WoWd20 Tinker class

Yes, exactly. I like the Warcraft tech and I'm intrigued by the idea of a class that is based around it.

I should've been more specific: Not really interested in "power" so much as having a neat alternative class. I'm wondering about the type of stuff that tinkers can make, and sort of how the crafting works. Maybe just a couple of examples of functions that tinker items can perform.

Tinkers, as the class, aren't particulary adept at anything but tinkering. They're capable combatants but don't have any real combat-based abilities (except Bomb Bouncing, which doubles the range of grenade-like objects). Everything else is suitably based around putting things together.

Some of the example technological devices (there's an entire chapter dedicated to how to build your own and the rules to do it) given in the book are: Goblin Army Knife (5 pound device that substitutes for pretty much any tool, with a chance of falling apart all over the place), a Gnomish Battle Chicken (which is a CR8 monster whose malfunction is 'attacks the operator and her allies'), Gnomish Battle Armor (+6 Heavy Armor with pistons and a boiler on the back. When it's running, it also grants +4 strength), and Goblin Jumper Cables, which have a chance of resurrecting a character that's been dead for less than 10 minutes.

Nifty stuff. I made a level 3 goblin tinker for a game that never worked out... he had all kinds of fun stuff, like a built-in clock in his pistols and a laser sight on his rifle.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That sounds both awesome and potentially hilarious as well. I may have to buy the damn book just for that class.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's two we always use in pretty much every campaign I've ever been involved in:

Encumbrance is dumb. Micromanagement of carrying weight, except in a campaign build around barely surviving, is just silly, and doesn't make the game more fun. We don't use it, ever, although generally the DM will say when carrying something around is clearly unreasonable.

Experience points are dumb. Again. Micromanagement of something that should just be fun. We give out levels every few games, or, early on, after a particularily taxing battle/session. Risk and roleplaying are rewarded, but the group we play with has been together so long that everyone pretty much always puts their all into it. Generally, we don't have a clue how much XP anyone has (strangely, item creation has never really come up).

Encumberance is not always dumb. You realize how useful it is when you get tired of the Half-Elf Fighter/Sorcerer who just happens to have three sets of magical platemail, four greatswords, six longswords and five different magical crossbows on him at all times.

I generally don't count things like money in encumberance, as long as it stays at a reasonable amount. If you're carrying around 20,000 gp, then I'm going to point out that you might want to do something about all that weight from the coins. Otherwise, encumberance keeps people from playing Swiss Army Character. I once had a player who had six pages just for his inventory. His excuse? "I have a bag of holding."

As far as XP being "dumb," it's kind of how things progress. If you just hand out levels every few games, then what's the point of even trying? You're going to advance anyway, so who cares? The idea of XP is incentive to actually do things. Without the incentive, why bother? You're going to advance just the same as the guy who is doing everything, right? So why bother to do anything? His 15th level fighter is going to go up to the next level as your 15th level Slouch, so there's no incentive.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pkmoutl wrote:

As far as XP being "dumb," it's kind of how things progress. If you just hand out levels every few games, then what's the point of even trying? You're going to advance anyway, so who cares? The idea of XP is incentive to actually do things. Without the incentive, why bother? You're going to advance just the same as the guy who is doing everything, right? So why bother to do anything? His 15th level fighter is going to go up to the next level as your 15th level Slouch, so there's no incentive.
    I can see both sides of this issue but if a player's just going to lurk at the back of the party without doing anything to contribute, knowing he'll go up in level anyway, then is that the sort of player you even want in your game? Or, more realistically, is it the sort of character the other characters are going to put up with in their party?

If someone was going out of their way to be an ass about this I'd just tell them to start doing stuff or else they're not going to get any better.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only House Rule I ever came up with (and also one of my favorite ones that was used in the games I played -- which were always fairly by the book, unfortunately) was the one an old DM and I came up with to make Charisma a useful stat.

Basically, we figured that since Charisma is defined as one's "strength of self" then the character's Charisma score should be applied instead of Wisdom to all Will saving throws involving mind control, confusion, etc.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My DM at the moment dismisses critical failures, as he thinks that it's unfair that a highly skilled character is more of a risk to himself than a weak one.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    My DM at the moment dismisses critical failures, as he thinks that it's unfair that a highly skilled character is more of a risk to himself than a weak one.
    According to RAW you can not critically fail a skill check on a 1 (nor succeed on a 20). Unless you're talking about the 'failing to get within 5 of the roll' kind of stuff. Critical failures on Saves and Attack rolls are balance issues. Critical failures on reading a scroll, turning a spell, or activating a magic item are for fun.

For instance, one of the common defenses for enclaves of level 1-2 wizards is to have 20-30 of the students cast low level spells like Charm Person, or use wands of fireballs.
    Eventually one of them will get through.

For a while though I was in a campaign that did (on anything) a 1 is a -10 and a 20 is +10, in addition 20s usually resulted in cool things and 1s or negatives had high chances of failure. Was kind of neat.
    "I try climbing the rope."
    (Rolls)... Flop
    "I tie the rope around me and tell my companions to pull me up."
    (rolls)... flop!
    "I tie the rope *tightly* around me, and tell my companions to try again."
    (Monsters appear and start fighting the group. The Fighter *drops me* from halfway)
    "Screw them.. I cast jump on myself, and then I attempt a jump check to try to escape the pit trap."
    "Uh, that's probably not going to happen."
    "Natural 20..."
    "You make it out!"

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you you have a serious spellcaster in the party. Spellcasters have enough to worry about without having a 5% chance of flopping a concentration or spellcraft roll.

Bah that whole campaign was weird... not just for that.

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Blackjack wrote:
    The only House Rule I ever came up with (and also one of my favorite ones that was used in the games I played -- which were always fairly by the book, unfortunately) was the one an old DM and I came up with to make Charisma a useful stat.

Basically, we figured that since Charisma is defined as one's "strength of self" then the character's Charisma score should be applied instead of Wisdom to all Will saving throws involving mind control, confusion, etc.
    I've always had a few issues with Charisma myself, I also like to see it more as strength of character and even touching on willpower rather than basically being something you use to talk to other people. For things like diplomacy I find it more appropriate to just take on the role of the NPC myself and talk it out with the characters. If they can convince me then they've convinced the NPC, taking into account the NPC's own personality of course.

I'd like to see Wisdom replaced with something more focused on representing perception and perhaps even alertness and put the likes of Will saves in with a re-named Charisma. Things like knowledge and Cleric spells should be dependant on skills and class abilities. This is all ignoring such minor issues as balance of course.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only house-rule I can really remember from when I played D&D was one I really enjoyed. Basically, since a round of combat in D&D lasts six seconds you were allowed only six seconds of in character talking. I found that it made combat alot more exciting and move more realistically. As players we couldn't construct and debate the most elaborate of plans while our enemies just kind of sat there, drooling. As players we often had to act on half-voiced ideas and information from our team-mates. If our character had no visuals on the enemy, we could only act on what we had heard. Since we didn't meta-game, we had to RP what our characters would do, knowing what little they did.

It was rad. Also, it prevented the one thing that pisses me hell out of me about American comics. How two charactes fighting will exchange three blows while having about six paragraphs worth of speach bubbles occur.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:

I've always had a few issues with Charisma myself, I also like to see it more as strength of character and even touching on willpower rather than basically being something you use to talk to other people. For things like diplomacy I find it more appropriate to just take on the role of the NPC myself and talk it out with the characters. If they can convince me then they've convinced the NPC, taking into account the NPC's own personality of course.

I'd like to see Wisdom replaced with something more focused on representing perception and perhaps even alertness and put the likes of Will saves in with a re-named Charisma. Things like knowledge and Cleric spells should be dependant on skills and class abilities. This is all ignoring such minor issues as balance of course.

Nothing you mention above would do anything but improve balance. Part of the issue with CoDizilla is that they have few stats the need to focus on. Making them both definitely care about charisma for will saves would be a good choice.

Wisdom as a huge penalty to spot checks would move the dump stat for thugs a little bit but at least there an interesting choice would need to be made. (Bad will saves versus bad spot/listen checks.)

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    gadwyngadwyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

In my 3.5 campaign i made it so that critical failures work like critical hits--you get a 1, you roll again, if you miss, then it's a crit failure. my reasoning was: it should be as easy/hard to wildly succeed at something as it is to wildy screw it up.

I also like the spell point system and a slightly modified method of using the metamagic feats. metamagic feats, in straight up 3.5, are the biggest waste. Wow, i could case a 20 damage magic missile oooor a fireball? Huuuh... What to doooo, what to dooo. So, with spell points, each "level" that the metamagic feat would up the spell slot by, adds 1 spell point to the cost. This means that a 1st level spell that is maximized effectively costs what a lvl 2 spell costs. This makes sense to me.

There are, of course, PC's who will min/max the crap out of that, but i had one player begin to abuse it and let him feel the back of my min/maxed pimpin' hand. It stopped pretty quick.

gadwyn on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:

DarkIce, an internet fanatic so brilliant no one even knows where he is anymore, worked on a D20 system with Strength, Agility, Endurance, Willpower, Intelligence, and Focus instead of the usual D&D-derivatives.

Despite my complaint that it was just as generic (i.e., including several disparate elements in a single stat just like he'd said D&D did) it actually worked very well!

I think he relied on various conversational skills instead of having something like Charisma define them...

I think Focus was perception/knowledge-related, but I can barely remember. I do confess to liking how he made Willpower and Focus seperate elements of Wisdom, though...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Edcrab wrote:
    SUPERSUGA wrote:

DarkIce, an internet fanatic so brilliant no one even knows where he is anymore, worked on a D20 system with Strength, Agility, Endurance, Willpower, Intelligence, and Focus instead of the usual D&D-derivatives.

Despite my complaint that it was just as generic (i.e., including several disparate elements in a single stat just like he'd said D&D did) it actually worked very well!

I think he relied on various conversational skills instead of having something like Charisma define them...

I think Focus was perception/knowledge-related, but I can barely remember. I do confess to liking how he made Willpower and Focus seperate elements of Wisdom, though...
    I'd quite like to see class abilities spread more evenly across the attributes. For example, taking the attributes you've just named I'd love it if there was equal potential for success as a Strong Willed, Intelligent or Focused Mage, rather than it being assumed that the Mage's highest stat should be Int. Same with fighters, I want to see more love for the tough guy, the agile guy or even just the determined fighter. A fighter with good perception skills would make an excellent party leader. I'm sure there's potential for all these things already with Prestige Classes but I'm not too fond on them as a whole (that's another discussion) so I'm talking straight up core classes here.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's a great point. DarkIce (jeez, I hope he's not around otherwise his ego will hit the megaton point) allowed characters to purchase feats that changed the dynamics of how characters worked, but he never took it very far.

If I wanted a mage with, say, great Willpower but poor Int, it'd be great to purchase a feat (or even if it worked by default) that made Willpower my base stat for deriving my spells, and perhaps sacrificed, say, spells per level for increased power or opposing will checks or whatever.

I took his system up to use in a sci-fi setting, but I never really gave enough thought to reapplying the concepts back to D&D, where it all came from in the first place...

For example, psionic uses in the aforementioned SF setting used Willpower for resistance and DC modifiers for powers (more like Epic spells than slots you see) and Focus for targetting/casting speed... and Intelligence just gave small bonuses to just about anything. But that'd apply just as well to D&D I think. High Wisdom mage ftw!

Hmm. I'd love to start a thread dedicated to brainstorming an entire D20 sub-system right about now...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    A fighter with good perception skills would make an excellent party leader. I'm sure there's potential for all these things already with Prestige Classes but I'm not too fond on them as a whole (that's another discussion) so I'm talking straight up core classes here.

I believe they're called "Rangers"?

I kid, I kid... (However, I think a Ranger really could be built to suit the concept of the "fighter with good perception skills". The Ranger is one of my favorite classes due to their potential to be perceptive, skilled, effective in combat, and have a few useful spells. In baseball terms, I think of them as a "utility player"... perhaps in the parlance of DnD, a "utility player character".)

*edited to improve screwy parenthetical grammar*

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Edcrab wrote:
    That's a great point. DarkIce (jeez, I hope he's not around otherwise his ego will hit the megaton point) allowed characters to purchase feats that changed the dynamics of how characters worked, but he never took it very far.

If I wanted a mage with, say, great Willpower but poor Int, it'd be great to purchase a feat (or even if it worked by default) that made Willpower my base stat for deriving my spells, and perhaps sacrificed, say, spells per level for increased power or opposing will checks or whatever.

There's a feat, I think it's called Carmadine Monk, that does just that.

I'm pretty sure there's one for each of the casting stats.

I've heard one common proposition for casters, to have, say, WIS = spell points, INT = spells known, and CHA = the save DC. A little bit of enforced MAD also brings their power level down a tad.

[edit]
    I'd love to start a thread dedicated to brainstorming an entire D20 sub-system right about now...

I'm down for it. And, I think I have some free time... Yes, I'm sure I do.

Legoman05 on