As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Removing Norton Trialware

easareporteasareport Registered User new member
Hello all, long time listener, first time caller.
My new laptop came preinstalled with a NIS trial. I never configured it, and just waited for the trial to expire. That time has come, and I want to remove NIS and install Avast (I have AVG on the desktop I built in June, and figured I'd give Avast a try on the laptop).
I googled the Norton removal tool and found that this still leaves traces of Norton in the registry. Is there a way to remove all traces of NIS so that there's no compatibility issues between it and Avast (CCleaner maybe)? Thanks in advance for any help.

easareport on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    While it's nice to completely and utterly purge the system of Norton, traces in the registry should not cause issues/conflicts with another antivirus. Primarily you just want it to not be actively running.

CCleaner may help totally get rid of it. The other thing you can do that is potentially dangerous is to open regedit and search for any case of the word "Norton" or their company name, etc. Delete anything that comes up with that word, including folders or individual keys. I must again stress that this is dangerous, you do it at your own risk but I have had to do this on occasion to get certain things to work.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RhakyrRhakyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As far as I can tell it only leaves a small trace behind; mainly the product number used for registering it. Whenever I've uninstalled Norton with the Norton Removal Tool I've never seen any conflicts emerge with any of the other Anti Virus programs out there.

Rhakyr on
    rhakyr.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yea, honestly, don't worry about it.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    TheSinisterMinisterTheSinisterMinister Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    easareport wrote: »
    Hello all, long time listener, first time caller.
    My new laptop came preinstalled with a NIS trial. I never configured it, and just waited for the trial to expire. That time has come, and I want to remove NIS and install Avast (I have AVG on the desktop I built in June, and figured I'd give Avast a try on the laptop).
    I googled the Norton removal tool and found that this still leaves traces of Norton in the registry. Is there a way to remove all traces of NIS so that there's no compatibility issues between it and Avast (CCleaner maybe)? Thanks in advance for any help.

If nothing else works, you can google search for "SARC" or "SARC remover" something like that. My place of employment recently switched from symantec (norton) to ESET, and we just about needed an exorcist to remove that insipid AV.

TheSinisterMinister on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is easy, Revo Uninstaller will do the job for you and it's free.

Dark Shroud on