As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I even get Vista now?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
I am building a new computer and have lost my old XP Pro disc so it looks like I might have to buy another disc D:

So I am wondering if I should pay 170 for Vista Ult or just buy another xp pro disc. The other option is I have a legit XP home key but need a disc. Not really sure what to do..

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to advocate acts of, shall we say, piratical nature, but I hope I'm not treading too near that very thin line by suggesting that if you've already paid for something, you probably would not become morally bankrupt by finding a way to, er, shall we say 'make a retroactive backup' of your XP cd.

Windows 7 doesn't seem that far away, and it's unlikely to have compatibility issues on launch being that it's more or less a well tweaked Vista, so if you're able to and you get along fine with XP for now waiting for the Win7 launch might be worth it.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you have a legit XP Home key, there's nothing wrong with borrowing a friend's media - but not his key - and using your license to install from his media. Don't copy it though, that's naughty.

This will only work if you have the same version (retail vs OEM from the same manufacturer.)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you have a legit XP Home key, there's nothing wrong with borrowing a friend's media - but not his key - and using your license to install from his media. Don't copy it though, that's naughty.

This will only work if you have the same version (retail vs OEM from the same manufacturer.)

I don't know anyone who has a plain OEM cd.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Dell recovery discs used to be the same as plain OEM cds, or at least they'd work with the same keys which is the important part. Dunno if they still are.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Dell recovery discs used to be the same as plain OEM cds, or at least they'd work with the same keys which is the important part. Dunno if they still are.

Really, my friend has the home xp one.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Really, my friend has the home xp one.

It might work, if you have an XP Home key. Give it a shot.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    Windows 7 doesn't seem that far away, and it's unlikely to have compatibility issues on launch being that it's more or less a well tweaked Vista, so if you're able to and you get along fine with XP for now waiting for the Win7 launch might be worth it.

This, because it's looking like Windows 7 is geared to totally phase out both XP and Vista. You're better off saving your cash until it releases.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ego wrote: »

This, because it's looking like Windows 7 is geared to totally phase out both XP and Vista. You're better off saving your cash until it releases.

Pretty much. If there's any way to use your current license (by finding another media) then do so. Otherwise, I'd definitely suggest you get Vista, though you can probably pass on Ultimate for one of the cheaper versions.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you buy a copy of Vista, chances are very very high that the version you want to buy is the OEM Home Premium version, in either x86 or x64 depending on which flavor you'd prefer to use.

But yeah, finding an XP disc and using the key you have is probably the best solution.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My own observations from dealing with this situation say that if you have an XP Home key, it doesn't matter whether you use XP Home OEM media or plain old XP Home media. It's all the same OS.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you buy a copy of Vista, chances are very very high that the version you want to buy is the OEM Home Premium version, in either x86 or x64 depending on which flavor you'd prefer to use.

But yeah, finding an XP disc and using the key you have is probably the best solution.

Isn't there a huge difference between home and ult in Vista?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You don't need to buy Ultimate.

Azio on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You MIGHT want Business instead of Home, though. Remote Desktop is verr' nice

Ledneh on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Of note

keys that came with XP SP1 discs will not work on SP2 install discs and vice versa

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can't the CD be re-ordered?

variant on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    variant wrote: »
    Can't the CD be re-ordered?

I have the invoice from new egg.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Of note

keys that came with XP SP1 discs will not work on SP2 install discs and vice versa

Uh I don't think so, Tim.

By the way, there is nothing wrong or illegitimate about obtaining an ISO of a Windows CD if you own the license to Windows. You can even download them from Microsoft directly occasionally.

Also, OEM vs Retail does make a difference because there is a file on the CD that is coded differently. This can be modified as needed, of course (requires a new CD). I would recommend getting or making a slipstreamed XP SP3 image (you can use nlite if you have an older disc around) for the installer, which (should) alleviate the whole OEM vs Retail thing.

As for holding out for Windows 7: That's probably going to be 2010. Can XP really hold out that long? I just switched to Vista 64-bit and it's a world of difference on a modern system.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Can XP really hold out that long? I just switched to Vista 64-bit and it's a world of difference on a modern system.

THIS. Just did this, and WOW. Vista 64-bit is nice. Maybe Apple's marketing just had me fooled, but I actually don't hate Vista, and it's pretty snappy. I mean, don't get me wrong, it still doesn't hold up to OS X or anything, but it's a really nice, solid upgrade from XP.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Of note

Except I had a SP1 CD and SP1 key and my dad had a SP2 CD and a SP2 key and they did not work for each other when I was attempting to reformat computers, so yes I think so, Tim

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Of note

Except I had a SP1 CD and SP1 key and my dad had a SP2 CD and a SP2 key and they did not work for each other when I was attempting to reformat computers, so yes I think so, Tim

I'll second this. I was reformatting a computer for someone and I discovered her XP Home OEM key would not work with my XP Home SP1 disc. I had to download an XP Home OEM cd to finish the job for her.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As for holding out for Windows 7: That's probably going to be 2010.

Seems that 7 is planned for release some time around mid-next year. So XP might be able to hold out that long. After all, it's just another year (and I can't believe I just said that).

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Of note

I'll second this. I was reformatting a computer for someone and I discovered her XP Home OEM key would not work with my XP Home SP1 disc. I had to download an XP Home OEM cd to finish the job for her.

Yeah, that would be a difference of retail vs OEM. not Sp1 vs Sp2. Believe me I've used the same original pre-sp cd key on discs with SP1, SP2, and SP3 (annual reinstall lol).

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Both were retail discs

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I use Vista all the time, but from the standpoint of a regular user that just wants to user their machine to run software the only thing XP really lacks over Vista is DX10 support.

It seems unlikely for that to be a real issue so long as MS doesn't end up delaying Win7. Today there's still no question that software released will run on both as XP has proven such a popular OS.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Of note

I think you may have a cd key that's tied to a specific install cd. I just did what you're saying is impossible today. My laptop cannot handle the Vista it came bundled with, so I an n-lited version of XP SP3 using the old key I had from a SP1 version of XP. My laptop runs 10x better, though I do miss some of the features from Vista-- mostly the level of description it had. If you have a good machine (not a laptop), Vista is a solid choice.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, OEM vs Retail does make a difference because there is a file on the CD that is coded differently. This can be modified as needed, of course (requires a new CD). I would recommend getting or making a slipstreamed XP SP3 image (you can use nlite if you have an older disc around) for the installer, which (should) alleviate the whole OEM vs Retail thing.
    IIRC the OEM license for Vista (possibly XP as well) restricts it to the motherboard it was originally activated on. While there are less-than-honest ways around that (lying to the CSR you talk to about the reason it was exchanged) that may be an issue if you plan to stay completely legit and regularly upgrade your hardware.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Of note

By the way, there is nothing wrong or illegitimate about obtaining an ISO of a Windows CD if you own the license to Windows. You can even download them from Microsoft directly occasionally.

As for holding out for Windows 7: That's probably going to be 2010. Can XP really hold out that long? I just switched to Vista 64-bit and it's a world of difference on a modern system.

^^^ This. Vista x64 on a good system is very smooth and ultra stable, has better security than XP and there are no real game issues (at least from games from the past few years).

Sure Windows 7 might come out in late 2009, but do you really want to run it on day 1? I waited about 9 months then did dual boot XP/Vista 64, after another 3 months of casual use I went full Vista x64 (Jan 07) and have had zero "Vista" problems.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A slight departure from the thread topic, but I don't want to make a new thread for it.

I'm going to be setting up my Vista x64 next week when my replacement video card gets here. I've heard that you don't want to install games in /program files/ anymore for whatever reason. Is this true? Do I need to make a games folder?

Also, in the brief time I had vista up and running with my shot video card, a lot of programs refused to run citing the wrong OS; many of these just basic MOBO drivers (from asuses site, under the x64 section). Is this common? Is there some way to run older programs through x32 emulation or something? What is the deal with that?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2008
    A slight departure from the thread topic, but I don't want to make a new thread for it.

I'm going to be setting up my Vista x64 next week when my replacement video card gets here. I've heard that you don't want to install games in /program files/ anymore for whatever reason. Is this true? Do I need to make a games folder?

Also, in the brief time I had vista up and running with my shot video card, a lot of programs refused to run citing the wrong OS; many of these just basic MOBO drivers (from asuses site, under the x64 section). Is this common? Is there some way to run older programs through x32 emulation or something? What is the deal with that?

I don't have an answer on the program files part. I have not had any problems with that (only have Steam going so far though). As for the other thing: sounds like general failure on the part of Asus for making 64-bit drivers not work on a 64-bit OS, but then they were probably made for XP and not Vista (guessing). 64-bit Vista does have 32-bit emulation it's called WoW or Windows on Windows. I haven't run into any programs yet that won't run on it.

Just don't try to install 32-bit drivers and you should be fine.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png