As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wiimote connection shennanigans.

TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
The magic inside wiimotes thoroughly confuses me... especially in regards to how it connects to the system. Sometimes I will turn on the wii only to find out that the system thinks that the controller I am using is player 2... leading me to have to find the correct controller. The controller it chooses as player one seems a bit arbitrary and unpredictable... is there some sort of pattern here that I am missing and is there a way to reassign the controllers?

The second question I have may be related... my friends and I are very into bomberman on the VC and we are trying to figure out how to make 5 players work. Everywhere I read says you need a gamecube controller... that's great we have four but whenever we try to use them they simply compete with the wiimote in that same slot. For example gamecube controller in slot one and wii controller one both control the same bomberman. Same goes with the rest of the ports and no one ever controls player 5. We have also tried connecting 5 wiimotes (which unfortunately the system seems incapable of). Are we missing something simple here?

redtidesig1.jpg
TimTheSloth on

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hold R on the Gamecube controller as you start the game to assign it as the fifth player.

Edit: You might have to hold it as you select the game from the Wii menu, though. I can't remember.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As I understand it, the "player number" on your remotes is determined by the order they were activated. This carries over when you turn the system off, and can only be reset by re-syncing the remotes or turning the system all the way off (red light).

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    As I understand it, the "player number" on your remotes is determined by the order they were activated. This carries over when you turn the system off, and can only be reset by re-syncing the remotes or turning the system all the way off (red light).

Wow. You post good posts for a new guy.

This is what I believe, also, but it sounds in the OP like his are switching around. Which is weird. And something I have no advice for.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

On my system, whichever controller I push a button on first after turning on the system will be set to player one, followed by 2, etc.

Sometimes as I grab a remote I'll push a button of one next to it and accidentally activate that as player 1 first, so I'll have to grab it instead (no big deal, just a small pain).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sometimes I will grab a controller and it is already set to 2 or 3... I'm assuming someone played earlier in the day and it hasn't reset the controllers I guess. Anyway the bomberman thing was a bigger issue so thanks!

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The controller I power on the machine with always becomes set to player 1. Are you talking about powered off Wii or just the remotes shutting off from inactivity? I can imagine in the second case it would remember which player was which.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I should also point out just incase people don't know (and I found this out the hard way) that your Wiimotes must be from the same region as your Wii. I went to sync my PAL Wiimote I bought while I was waiting for my NTSC Wii to arrive, only to find out that they're incompatible with each other.

Kelor on
  • Options
    MusiquaMusiqua Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I should also point out just incase people don't know (and I found this out the hard way) that your Wiimotes must be from the same region as your Wii. I went to sync my PAL Wiimote I bought while I was waiting for my NTSC Wii to arrive, only to find out that they're incompatible with each other.
    Eh. Try again. I have a NTSC Wii, and I can use both PAL and NTSC Wiimotes on it. There's no difference between them at all, except for some safety certifications printed on one of them.

Musiqua on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No matter which controller I grab to turn the system on, it's always player 1 unless I accidentally hit a button on another remote first. One thing I've noticed is that player 1 isn't assigned when I power the system on, but instead when I hit A at the warning screen.

FunkyWaltDogg on