As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS2 and HDTV

m3km3k Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm looking into buying a 37" lcd screen (720 p) to which I will be hooking up my PS2.

I'm told that the image will look like shit run over twice.

Is this correct?

Is there anything i can do about it?

Et tu, Brute?
m3k on

• Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd imagine that's TV dependent. I play PS2 on my 52" DLP and it looks fine to me. FF12 looks great, in fact.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    AlecAlec Louisville, KYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's also very game dependent. I'm running component to my 42 inch Westinghouse and FFX looks like garbage. But God of War in 480p looks pretty good. :)

Alec on
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alec wrote:
    It's also very game dependent. I'm running component to my 42 inch Westinghouse and FFX looks like garbage. But God of War in 480p looks pretty good. :)
    Note: a lot of games don't take 480p or widescreen:

See Okami and God Hand.. :(

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    Alec wrote:
    Note: a lot of games don't take 480p or widescreen:

See Okami and God Hand.. :(

That's why it's game dependent. :'(

Alec on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is regarding the PS3 playing PS2 games:

I have a 32' HDTV. I run my PS3 at 1080i, but PS2 games look kinda shitty at that resolution. Do I have to change the resolution to something like 720 every time I want to play a PS2 game in order for it to look right?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nightslyr wrote:

I have a 32' HDTV. I run my PS3 at 1080i, but PS2 games look kinda shitty at that resolution. Do I have to change the resolution to something like 720 every time I want to play a PS2 game in order for it to look right?

From what I hear that has nothing to do with resolution... Just a case of backwards compatibility being shitty on the ps3...

Wezoin on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wezoin wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

From what I hear that has nothing to do with resolution... Just a case of backwards compatibility being shitty on the ps3...

Ah... fuck. :(

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've seen this thing at Gamestop before: Xploder HDTV Player

Supposedly it can force any PS2 game to run in 480p. But I can't find any reviews of it online that say if it actually works or how well it works, and I'm not brave enough to buy it on blind faith.

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I'm a little unhappy to hear this with my new HDTV. I haven't hooked up the PS2 yet, still need to get component cables.

Would it be stupid to just use s-video?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I couldn't stand to use the PS2 on my HD until I got the component cables. I got the official Sony and a third party cable and I kinda like the thrid party one better. I can't remember what brand it was but it had connectors for PS2/Xbox/360.

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Component will give you an incredibly clear picture, but that means you will see EVERY jaggy.

I'm currently tracking down a copy of the Xploder HDTV Player. I've heard *terrible* things when outputting in anything over 480p, but I guess 480p would be good enough for me.

I'll let you kn ow if it improves anything.

Alec on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Wezoin wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

I've heard that they've fixed that, or they're going to, or something along those lines... then again it could all just be a whole bucket of lies. I can't even tell anymore. :(

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    m3km3k Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MrDeadMan wrote:

Supposedly it can force any PS2 game to run in 480p. But I can't find any reviews of it online that say if it actually works or how well it works, and I'm not brave enough to buy it on blind faith.

This should be possible, as all the data is there, it just needs to be broadcast the correct way. I'd imagine there's some level of lag involved as every two frames need to be buffered, deinterlaced, and rebroadcast.

m3k on
    Et tu, Brute?
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ArcticXC wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Wezoin wrote:
    Nightslyr wrote:

I've heard that they've fixed that, or they're going to, or something along those lines... then again it could all just be a whole bucket of lies. I can't even tell anymore. :(

Yeah they fixed it with a patch the other day. The output resolution you have the PS3 set to has nothing to do with the output of the PS2 BC however. Those games always run in 720 x 480. Once you're done playing PS2, it switches back to whatever resolution you run the PS3 in.

The patch from the other day fixed a pixel flipping problem that led to vertical lines of running through the length of the screen, causing super jagged graphics.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Alec on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have aquired an HDTV player. I'll take pics when I get home from work on how the PS2 handles with it. It's 1 PM, I will be home at around 5:30ish

Alec on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    m3k wrote:
    MrDeadMan wrote:

This should be possible, as all the data is there, it just needs to be broadcast the correct way. I'd imagine there's some level of lag involved as every two frames need to be buffered, deinterlaced, and rebroadcast.
    LCD televisions have to do this as well before displaying the image. Modern televisions must do good job of it because I have to sit pretty close to tell the difference between 480i and 480p games on my tv.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Alec wrote:
    I have aquired an HDTV player. I'll take pics when I get home from work on how the PS2 handles with it. It's 1 PM, I will be home at around 5:30ish

You sir, are awsome. I am eagerly awaiting your findings.

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't have component cables, and even if I did, a lot of PS2 games don't do 480p, so I keep an old SDTV next to the DLP HDTV to run PS2 games because they will lag on the DLP HDTV and look like shit (the ones that don't do 480p). I thought about upconverters and such before realizing that this was the cheapest and easiest solution (I already had the SDTV).

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have only tested one game so far (after playing with the settings on my camera, it took a while to get them looking decent...I used FFX because it looks like GARBAGE in 480i over component)

Results: (Sorry if I break H-Scroll, but it's sort of a must:

480i - Booted normally.

FFX_480i.jpg

480p

FFX_480p.jpg

576p

FFX_576p.jpg

720p

FFX_720p.jpg

1080i

FFX_1080i.jpg

Sorry for not being able to get a good shot of Yuna in 1080i. I was playing with the lighting. In any case, I only wanted to demonstrate that when playing in 1080i, it doesn't use hardly ANY of the screen, as you can see. This is a 42 inch Westinghouse, anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it supported 576p. Here's a couple shots of the menu.

576p

HDTV_576p.jpg

720p

HDTV_720p.jpg

1080i

HDTV_1080i.jpg

480p filles up the entire screen, and as you might be able to tell from the screens of FFX, there is a MASSIVE difference between 480i and 480p. 576p looks good, but the image is shrunk from the full size of the TV...I prefer 480p, and it actually makes FFX look decent.

I'll test some more games later. My wife wanted to watch CSI.

Alec on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Unless your tv has a resolution of like... 5760x3240 pixels, thats not 1080i, its just small.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    IcewingIcewing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zeon wrote:
    Unless your tv has a resolution of like... 5760x3240 pixels, thats not 1080i, its just small.

No no, the whole image including the black areas is 1080i. He's saying the problem is that the device makes everything sharp, sure, but does it by doing 1-to-1 pixel mapping (oh, and it squishes the 4x3 stuff into widescreen, apparently from those pictures, too).

Icewing on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So I guess it's fair to say that:
      -1080i is useless -720p is probably useless on any game that doesn't natively support widescreen (though I'd like to see FFXII or Shadow of the Colossus in this mode) -480p is probably the best mode for most games and while I'd like so see some more comparison shots, it looks promising
    Think you could supply a few more shots for us, and would you say it's worth the... um.. How much was the thing by the way?

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    m3k wrote:
    MrDeadMan wrote:

It doesn't deinterlace anything. That's not possible in this case. It just forces the PS2 to display things differently in the first place. Not to mention that if a game runs at more than 30fps, there's no way to deinterlace without losing data, and the signal quality wouldn't be any better.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just got in from seeing Pan's Labyrinth, lemme load up SotC and FFXII. :)

Bought it off a friend for super cheap.

Alec on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    On most pics, I've taken a "TV shot" where I show you how the resolution looks on my TV, and then I zoom in for a "quality shot" to show you if it looks any good. Unfortunately, stills don't illustrate this in the best way, so I might make movies of it in action. I'm not doing 1080i because they're all the same size, and it's worthless.

FFXII in 480i - I didn't include a TV shot because it fills my screen. Looks sort of poopy.

FFXII_480i.jpg

FFXII in 480p - Does NOT fill the screen like other games do...possibly why the PS3 has so much trouble with this game in backwards compat. Not recommended...

FFXII_480p1.jpg

FFXII_480p2.jpg

FFXII in 720p - Doesn't use much of the screen, but looks the best by far.

FFXII_720p1.jpg

FFXII_720p2.jpg

SotC in 480i

SotC_480i1.jpg

SotC in 480p, 16:9 This game supports widescreen and progressive in the options menu, so I didn't use the HDTV Player for it. Curiously, it doesn't look as if 16:9 took effect.

SotC_480p1.jpg

Sotc_480p2.jpg

SotC in 720p - HORRIBLE LAGGGGGGGG

SotC_720p1.jpg

Sotc_720p2.jpg

I'd personally stick with in-game 480p...although, I must admit, I can't notice much of a difference in this game.

And just because I love me some Guilty Gear...

Guilty Gear XX Slash in 480p - I'm a beast with Faust

GGXXS_480p1.jpg

GGXXS_480p2.jpg

GG looks SO FRICKING AWESOME IN PROGRESSIVE. Worth the money? Well, I think it retails for like $35, since it comes with component cables, but I already had some. I got it off my friend for cheap, so it was worth it to me. I don't think I'll ever play a PS2 game (that doesn't support progressive) again without loading this baby up in 480p, first.

Alec on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icewing wrote:
    Zeon wrote:

No no, the whole image including the black areas is 1080i. He's saying the problem is that the device makes everything sharp, sure, but does it by doing 1-to-1 pixel mapping (oh, and it squishes the 4x3 stuff into widescreen, apparently from those pictures, too).

I know... but its kind of like buying a 50" screen and only having 20" display any image. I wouldnt call that 1080i when only 1/3 of the screen is being used, id call it 480p squished down to make it look nicer. Which is pretty much exactly what it is.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Once again, you are awsome. I think I need to head down to gamestop and see if they still have one of these bad boys. FFXII looks great, and it's a shame about the lag in SotC, it looks really good in still-shots.

Also, I just realized that is the exact TV I've been looking to get for my living room :D

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't think of the games as looking "worse," but rather more accurate.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I might have to grab one of these things. Have the exact same TV as you too.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    By the way, a PS3 upscales every PSone and PS2 game it emulates up to 480p. Currently its the best PSone/PS2 emulator/Blu-Ray player on the market.

I also hear there are actually going to be games specifically made on the PS3 too but don't take my word for it.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    imundercoverimundercover Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:
    I also hear there are actually going to be games specifically made on the PS3 too but don't take my word for it.

I don't think anyone takes your word for anything, judging from your post history.

Alec: You say that 720p looks best on FFXII, why? Its all squished and stretched out?

imundercover on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:

I don't think anyone takes your word for anything, judging from your post history.

Alec: You say that 720p looks best on FFXII, why? Its all squished and stretched out?

Because 480p doesn't make it fill the screen, and I didn't do 576p since most people's TVs can't support it anyway. 720p is flattened and stretched out, but it doesn't look distorted, and it looks quite natural. It also shows the least amount of jaggies, and overall just *looks* the best.

I'll try to take a video, but my cam doesn't do much justice.

Alec on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most of my PS2 games look like crap on my HDTV even with components so I hooked it up to a SDTV in a bedroom. God of War was one of the few games that didn't look like ass on the big screen.

If sony patched the PS3 to upscale ps2 games (and added WS support to those that did not originally support it) I'd buy one just for that. PS2 has an awesome library its just a shame most look horrible on HDTV's.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This HDTV Player really helps with some games if you force them into progressive.

But the in-game progressive that some games have (God of War, SotC) are by-fay better than the HDTV Player's forced progressive.

Alec on